Career and Education Opportunities for Legislators in Laramie, Wyoming
Laramie, Wyoming provides a wide variety of opportunities, both career and educational, for legislators. The national trend for legislators sees this job pool growing by about 0.7% over the next eight years. Legislators generally develop laws and statutes at the Federal, State, or local level.
The average wage in the general category of Specialized Management jobs is $28 per hour or $54,576 per year in Wyoming, and an average of $39 per hour or $74,363 per year nationwide. Compared with people working in the overall category of Specialized Management, people working as legislators in Wyoming earn less. They earn less than people working in the overall category of Specialized Management nationally. Jobs in this field include: alderman, councilperson, and congressional representative.
The Laramie area is home to two schools of higher education, including one within twenty-five miles of Laramie where you can get a degree as a legislator.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Legislator
In general, legislators develop laws and statutes at the Federal, State, or local level.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Laramie include:
- Construction Foreman. Plan, direct, or budget, usually through subordinate supervisory personnel, activities concerned with the construction and maintenance of structures, facilities, and systems. Participate in the conceptual development of a construction project and oversee its organization, scheduling, and implementation.
- Garden Center Manager. Plan, organize, direct, and coordinate activities of workers engaged in propagating, cultivating, and harvesting horticultural specialties, such as trees, shrubs, and other plants.
- Natural Resources Specialist. Plan, direct, or coordinate activities in such fields as life sciences, physical sciences, and research and development in these fields.
- Property Manager. Plan, direct, or coordinate selling, buying, or governance activities of commercial, industrial, or residential real estate properties.
- Social Service Coordinator. Plan, organize, or coordinate the activities of a social service program or community outreach organization. Oversee the program or organization's budget and policies regarding participant involvement, program requirements, and benefits. Work may involve directing social workers, counselors, or probation officers.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Legislator Training
University of Wyoming - Laramie, WY
University of Wyoming, Corner of Ninth and Ivinson, Laramie, WY 82071. University of Wyoming is a large university located in Laramie, Wyoming. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 11,920 students and an admission rate of 96%. University of Wyoming has a master's degree program in Public Administration which graduated nineteen students in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Laramie, Wyoming
Laramie is located in Albany County, Wyoming. It has a population of over 27,523. The cost of living index in Laramie, 96, is near the national average. New single-family homes in Laramie are priced at $156,100 on average, which is well below the state average. In 2008, eighty-six new homes were built in Laramie, down from one hundred thirteen the previous year.
The three big industries for women in Laramie are educational services, health care, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is educational services, construction, and accommodation and food services. The average commute to work is about 12 minutes. More than 46.7% of Laramie residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 19.6%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Laramie is 3.8%, which is less than Wyoming's average of 6.8%. About 22.6% of Laramie's residents are below the poverty line, which is worse than the state average.
The percentage of Laramie residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 37.4%, is less than both the national and state average. The most prominent religious groups are the Catholic Church, the LDS (Mormon) Church and the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
Shopping centers in the area include Campus Mall and Odd Fellows Shopping Center. Visitors to Laramie can choose from Holiday Inn, 1st Inn Gold and Woods Landing Store for temporary stays in the area.