Career and Education Opportunities for Market Research Analysts in Huntington, West Virginia
Many educational and employment opportunities exist for market research analysts in the Huntington, West Virginia area. The national trend for market research analysts sees this job pool growing by about 28.1% over the next eight years. Market research analysts generally research market conditions in local, regional, or national areas to determine potential sales of a product or service.
The income of a market research analyst is about $18 hourly or $38,080 yearly on average in West Virginia. In the U.S. as a whole, their income is about $29 hourly or $61,070 annually on average. Incomes for market research analysts are not quite as good as in the overall category of Social Sciences in West Virginia, and not quite as good as the overall Social Sciences category nationally. Market research analysts work in a variety of jobs, including: market research consultant, business development specialist, and marketing forecaster.
There is one school within twenty-five miles of Huntington where you can study to be a market research analyst, among seventeen schools of higher education total in the Huntington area. Given that the most common education level for market research analysts is a Bachelor's degree, you can expect to spend about four years studying to be a market research analyst if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Market Research Analyst
In general, market research analysts research market conditions in local, regional, or national areas to determine potential sales of a product or service. They also may gather information on competitors, prices, and methods of marketing and distribution.
Market research analysts ready reports of findings, illustrating data graphically and translating complex findings into written text. They also monitor industry statistics and follow trends in trade literature. Equally important, market research analysts have to collect and analyze data on customer demographics and buying habits to pinpoint potential markets and factors affecting product demand. They are often called upon to gather data on competitors and analyze their prices and methods of marketing and distribution. They are expected to seek and furnish data to help companies decide on their position in the marketplace. Finally, market research analysts attend conferences to furnish management with data and proposals concerning the promotion and pricing of a company's products or services.
Every day, market research analysts are expected to be able to articulate ideas and problems. They need to listen to and understand others in meetings. It is also important that they write clearly and communicate well.
It is important for market research analysts to measure the effectiveness of marketing and communications programs and strategies. They are often called upon to design and implement processes for identifying advertising needs. They also direct trained survey interviewers. Somewhat less frequently, market research analysts are also expected to attend conferences to furnish management with data and proposals concerning the promotion and pricing of a company's products or services.
And finally, they sometimes have to measure and assess customer and employee satisfaction.
Like many other jobs, market research analysts must have exceptional integrity and be able to absorb the factors involved and a problem and provide a well thought out solution.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Huntington include:
- Economist. Conduct research, prepare reports, or formulate plans to aid in solution of economic problems arising from production and distribution of goods and services. May collect and process economic and statistical data using econometric and sampling techniques.
- Geographic Information Systems Analyst. Study nature and use of areas of earth's surface, relating and interpreting interactions of physical and cultural phenomena. Conduct research on physical aspects of a region, including land forms, climates, soils, plants and animals, and conduct research on the spatial implications of human activities within a given area, including social characteristics, economic activities, and political organization, as well as researching interdependence between regions at scales ranging from local to global.
- Historian. Research, analyze, and interpret the past as recorded in sources, such as government and institutional records, newspapers and other periodicals, photographs, and unpublished manuscripts, such as personal diaries and letters.
- Industrial Psychologist. Apply principles of psychology to personnel, administration, and marketing problems. Activities may include policy planning; employee screening, training and development; and organizational development and analysis. May work with management to reorganize the work setting to improve worker productivity.
- Market Survey Representative. Design or conduct surveys. May supervise interviewers who conduct the survey in person or over the telephone. May present survey results to client.
- School Psychologist. Investigate processes of learning and teaching and develop psychological principles and techniques applicable to educational problems.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Market Research Analyst Training
Marshall University - Huntington, WV
Marshall University, 1 John Marshall Dr, Huntington, WV 25755. Marshall University is a large university located in Huntington, West Virginia. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 13,656 students and an admission rate of 87%. Marshall University has 2 areas of study related to Market Research Analyst. They are:
- Economics, bachelor's degree which graduated 3 students in 2008.
- Business/Managerial Economics, bachelor's degree which graduated 10 students in 2008.
Fiscal Services - Accelerated Package: Fiscal Services - Accelerated Package course list: Better Requests for Proposals for Better Projects; Continuous Improvement Through Monitoring; Contracting; New Coding System for the 21st Century; Procurement; and Writing Winning Grant Proposals.
For more information, see the Dynamic Works Institute website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Huntington, West Virginia
Huntington is situated in Cabell County, West Virginia. It has a population of over 49,185, which has shrunk by 4.4% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Huntington, 84, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in Huntington cost $195,100 on average, which is far greater than the state average. In 2008, sixteen new homes were built in Huntington, down from thirty-five the previous year.
The top three industries for women in Huntington are health care, educational services, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is health care, educational services, and construction. The average travel time to work is about 18 minutes. More than 22.4% of Huntington residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 9.8%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Huntington is 7.7%, which is the same as West Virginia's average of 7.7%. About 24.7% of Huntington's residents are below the poverty line, which is worse than the state average.
The percentage of Huntington residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 42.7%, is less than the national average but more than the state average. Glorious Church of God in Christ, South Side United Methodist Church and Good Samaritan United Methodist Church are some of the churches located in Huntington. The largest religious groups are the American Baptist Churches in the USA, the United Methodist Church and the Catholic Church.
Huntington is home to the Northcott Hall and the Foster Memorial Home as well as Holderby Commons and United States Post Office and Courthouse Historic District. Shopping malls in the area include Westland Plaza Shopping Center, Fairfield Plaza Shopping Center and Huntington Plaza Shopping Center. Visitors to Huntington can choose from Super 8, Cabell Huntington Hospital and Garden Park for temporary stays in the area.