Career and Education Opportunities for Math Professors in Vancouver, Washington
Math professor career and educational opportunities abound in Vancouver, Washington. Math professors generally teach courses pertaining to mathematical concepts, statistics, and actuarial science and to the application of original and standardized mathematical techniques in solving specific problems and situations.
The average wage in the general category of Postsecondary Education jobs is $23 per hour or $57,220 per year in Washington, and an average of $23 per hour or $64,226 per year nationwide. Earnings for math professors are better than earnings in the general category of Postsecondary Education in Washington and not quite as good as general Postsecondary Education category earnings nationally. People working as math professors can fill a number of jobs, such as: computational sciences professor, computer science professor, and algebra teacher.
There are forty-eight schools of higher education in the Vancouver area, including five within twenty-five miles of Vancouver where you can get a degree to start your career as a math professor. The most common level of education for math professors is a Master's degree. It will take about six years to learn to be a math professor if you already have a high school diploma, or just 2 years if you have a Bachelor's degree.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Math Professor
In general, math professors teach courses pertaining to mathematical concepts, statistics, and actuarial science and to the application of original and standardized mathematical techniques in solving specific problems and situations.
Math professors ready course materials such as syllabi and handouts. They also maintain student attendance records and other required records. Equally important, math professors have to evaluate and grade students' class work and papers. They are often called upon to compile and grade examinations, or assign this work to others. They are expected to formulate and revise curricula, course content, and course materials and methods of instruction. Finally, math professors serve on academic or administrative committees that deal with institutional policies and academic issues.
Every day, math professors are expected to be able to articulate ideas and problems. They need to speak clearly. It is also important that they listen to and understand others in meetings.
It is important for math professors to participate in student recruitment and placement efforts. They are often called upon to ready and deliver lectures to undergraduate or graduate students on topics such as linear algebra and discrete mathematics. They also write grant proposals to procure external research funding. They are sometimes expected to furnish professional consulting services to government or industry. Somewhat less frequently, math professors are also expected to serve on academic or administrative committees that deal with institutional policies and academic issues.
Math professors sometimes are asked to conduct research in a particular field of knowledge and publish findings in books or electronic media. and participate in campus and community events. And finally, they sometimes have to compile bibliographies of specialized materials for outside reading assignments.
Like many other jobs, math professors must be reliable and have exceptional integrity.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Vancouver include:
- Agriculture Professor. Teach courses in the agricultural sciences. Includes teachers of agronomy, dairy sciences, and agricultural soil conservation.
- Architecture Professor. Teach courses in architecture and architectural design, such as architectural environmental design, interior architecture/design, and landscape architecture.
- Communication Professor. Teach courses in communications, such as organizational communications, public relations, radio/television broadcasting, and journalism.
- Computer Science Professor. Teach courses in computer science. May specialize in a field of computer science.
- English Professor. Teach courses in English language and literature, including linguistics and comparative literature.
- Farm Management Adviser. Advise, instruct, and assist individuals and families engaged in agriculture, agricultural-related processes, or home economics activities. Demonstrate procedures and apply research findings to solve problems; instruct and train in product development, sales, and the utilization of machinery and equipment to promote general welfare. Includes county agricultural agents, feed and farm management advisers, home economists, and extension service advisors.
- Graduate Research Assistant. Assist department chairperson, faculty members, or other professional staff members in college or university by performing teaching or teaching-related duties, such as teaching lower level courses, developing teaching materials, preparing and giving examinations, and grading examinations or papers. Graduate assistants must be enrolled in a graduate school program. Graduate assistants who primarily perform non-teaching duties, such as laboratory research, should be reported in the occupational category related to the work performed.
- Law Professor. Teach courses in law.
- Nursing Professor. Demonstrate and teach patient care in classroom and clinical units to nursing students. Includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of both teaching and research.
- Physical Education Professor. Teach courses pertaining to recreation, leisure, and fitness studies, including exercise physiology and facilities management.
- Vocational Instructor. Teach or instruct vocational or occupational subjects at the postsecondary level (but at less than the baccalaureate) to students who have graduated or left high school. Includes correspondence school instructors; industrial, commercial and government training instructors; and adult education teachers and instructors who prepare persons to operate industrial machinery and equipment and transportation and communications equipment. Teaching may take place in public or private schools whose primary business is education or in a school associated with an organization whose primary business is other than education.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Math Professor Training
Lewis & Clark College - Portland, OR
Lewis & Clark College, 0615 S W Palatine Hill Rd, Portland, OR 97219-7899. Lewis & Clark College is a small college located in Portland, Oregon. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 3,650 students and an admission rate of 58%. Lewis & Clark College has a bachelor's degree program in Mathematics which graduated seven students in 2008.
University of Portland - Portland, OR
University of Portland, 5000 N Willamette Blvd, Portland, OR 97203-5798. University of Portland is a small university located in Portland, Oregon. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 3,666 students and an admission rate of 79%. University of Portland has a bachelor's degree program in Mathematics.
Reed College - Portland, OR
Reed College, 3203 SE Woodstock Blvd, Portland, OR 97202-8199. Reed College is a small college located in Portland, Oregon. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 1,471 students and an admission rate of 32%. Reed College has a bachelor's degree program in Mathematics which graduated thirteen students in 2008.
George Fox University - Newberg, OR
George Fox University, 414 N Meridian St, Newberg, OR 97132. George Fox University is a small university located in Newberg, Oregon. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 3,382 students and an admission rate of 83%. George Fox University has a bachelor's degree program in Mathematics which graduated one student in 2008.
Portland State University - Portland, OR
Portland State University, 724 SW Harrison, Portland, OR 97201. Portland State University is a large university located in Portland, Oregon. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 25,959 students and an admission rate of 80%. Portland State University has 2 areas of study related to Math Professor. They are:
- Mathematics, bachelor's degree and master's degree which graduated four and fourteen students respectively in 2008.
- Statistics, postbaccalaureate certificate and master's degree which graduated four and four students respectively in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Vancouver, Washington
Vancouver is located in Clark County, Washington. It has a population of over 163,186, which has grown by 13.7% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Vancouver, 98, is near the national average. New single-family homes in Vancouver are priced at $95,700 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, two hundred eighty new homes were built in Vancouver, down from four hundred twenty the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Vancouver are health care, educational services, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is construction, computer and electronic products, and accommodation and food services. The average travel time to work is about 23 minutes. More than 21.7% of Vancouver residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 7.4%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Vancouver is 7.8%, which is less than Washington's average of 8.7%.
The percentage of Vancouver residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 27.9%, is less than both the national and state average. The most prominent religious groups are the Catholic Church, the LDS (Mormon) Church and the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
Vancouver is home to the Vancouver Square and the Vancouver Plaza as well as Leverich Park and Wintler Park. Shopping malls in the area include Arbours Shopping Center, Millport Shopping Center and Vancouver Village Shopping Center. Visitors to Vancouver can choose from Comfort Suites Vancouver, Homewood Suites Portland-Vancouver and Best Western Hotel and Suites Vacouver Mall Dr for temporary stays in the area.