Career and Education Opportunities for Postmasters in Seattle, Washington
Postmasters can find many career and educational opportunities in the Seattle, Washington area. The national trend for postmasters sees this job pool shrinking by about 15.1% over the next eight years. In general, postmasters direct and coordinate operational, administrative, and supportive services of a U.
Income for postmasters is about $29 hourly or $60,710 annually on average in Washington. Nationally, their income is about $28 hourly or $59,310 annually. Incomes for postmasters are not quite as good as in the overall category of Transportation and Logistics in Washington, and not quite as good as the overall Transportation and Logistics category nationally. Jobs in this field include: superintendent, postal service sectional center manager, and remote encoding center manager.
There are sixty-five schools of higher education in the Seattle area, including two within twenty-five miles of Seattle where you can get a degree to start your career as a postmaster. Postmasters usually hold a high school diploma or GED, so you can expect to spend only a short time training to become a postmaster if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Postmaster
In general, postmasters direct and coordinate operational, administrative, and supportive services of a U. They also s.
Postmasters organize and supervise efforts such as the processing of incoming and outgoing mail. They also resolve customer complaints. Finally, postmasters ready employee work schedules.
Every day, postmasters are expected to be able to evaluate problems as they arise. They need to articulate ideas and problems. It is also important that they listen to and understand others in meetings.
It is important for postmasters to ready and submit detailed and summary reports of post office efforts to designated supervisors. They are often called upon to hire and train employees, and evaluate their performance. They also negotiate labor disputes. They are sometimes expected to direct and schedule operational, management, and supportive services of one or variety of postal facilities. Somewhat less frequently, postmasters are also expected to hire and train employees, and evaluate their performance.
Postmasters sometimes are asked to ready employee work schedules. They also have to be able to issue and cash money orders And finally, they sometimes have to talk with suppliers to obtain bids for proposed purchases and to requisition supplies; disburse funds in line with federal regulations.
Like many other jobs, postmasters must have strong self control in the face of challenging situations and be reliable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Seattle include:
- Administrator. Plan, direct, or coordinate supportive services of an organization, such as recordkeeping, mail distribution, telephone operator/receptionist, and other office support services. May oversee facilities planning and maintenance and custodial operations.
- Chief Executive Officer. Determine and formulate policies and provide the overall direction of companies or private and public sector organizations within the guidelines set up by a board of directors or similar governing body. Plan, direct, or coordinate operational activities at the highest level of management with the help of subordinate executives and staff managers.
- Compensation and Benefits Manager. Plan, direct, or coordinate compensation and benefits activities and staff of an organization.
- Human Relations Manager. Plan, direct, and coordinate human resource management activities of an organization to maximize the strategic use of human resources and maintain functions such as employee compensation, recruitment, and regulatory compliance.
- Shipping Receiving Manager. Plan, direct, and coordinate the storage and distribution operations within an organization or the activities of organizations that are engaged in storing and distributing materials and products.
- Social Service Coordinator. Plan, organize, or coordinate the activities of a social service program or community outreach organization. Oversee the program or organization's budget and policies regarding participant involvement, program requirements, and benefits. Work may involve directing social workers, counselors, or probation officers.
- Transportation Manager. Plan, direct, and coordinate the transportation operations within an organization or the activities of organizations that provide transportation services.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Postmaster Training
Seattle University - Seattle, WA
Seattle University, 900 Broadway, Seattle, WA 98122-4340. Seattle University is a medium sized university located in Seattle, Washington. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 7,560 students and an admission rate of 65%. Seattle University has a bachelor's degree and a master's degree program in Public Administration which graduated eleven and forty-six students respectively in 2008.
University of Washington-Seattle Campus - Seattle, WA
University of Washington-Seattle Campus, 1400 NE Campus Parkway, Seattle, WA 98195-4550. University of Washington-Seattle Campus is a large university located in Seattle, Washington. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 39,675 students and an admission rate of 61%. University of Washington-Seattle Campus has a master's degree program in Public Administration which graduated 148 students in 2008.
Manager of Quality/Organizational Excellence: The Certified Manager of Quality/Organizational Excellence is a professional who leads and champions process-improvement initiatives everywhere from small businesses to multinational corporations that can have regional or global focus in a variety of service and industrial settings.
For more information, see the American Society for Quality website.
Certified Manager: Certified Manager certification is valued for the credibility and recognition it brings to managers and the organizations for which they work.
For more information, see the Institute of Certified Professional Managers website.
Program Management Professional: Project Management Institute's newest credential is specifically developed to acknowledge the qualifications of the professional who leads the coordinated management of multiple projects and ensures the ultimate success of a program.
For more information, see the Project Management Institute website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Seattle, Washington
Seattle is located in King County, Washington. It has a population of over 598,541, which has grown by 6.2% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Seattle, 126, is far greater than the national average. New single-family homes in Seattle are valued at $206,700 on average, which is well below the state average. In 2008, five hundred ninety-five new homes were built in Seattle, down from seven hundred seventy-five the previous year.
The three big industries for women in Seattle are health care, professional, scientific, and technical services, and educational services. For men, it is professional, scientific, and technical services, construction, and educational services. The average commute to work is about 25 minutes. More than 47.2% of Seattle residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 17.3%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Seattle is 7.8%, which is less than Washington's average of 8.7%.
The percentage of Seattle residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 37.3%, is less than the national average but more than the state average. The largest religious groups are the Catholic Church, the LDS (Mormon) Church and the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
Seattle is home to the Berth 5 and the Akli Point Lighthouse as well as Lincoln Park and Myrtle Edwards Park. Shopping centers in the area include Lake City Shopping Center, Westwood Village Shopping Center and Oak Tree Village Shopping Center. Visitors to Seattle can choose from A-1 Motel, Arlington Suites and Marriott Sea-Tac Airport for temporary stays in the area.