Career and Education Opportunities for Agriculture Professors in Seattle, Washington
Many educational and employment opportunities exist for agriculture professors in the Seattle, Washington area. In general, agriculture professors teach courses in the agricultural sciences.
The average wage in the general category of Postsecondary Education jobs is $23 per hour or $57,220 per year in Washington, and an average of $23 per hour or $64,226 per year nationwide. Jobs in this field include: extension specialist, animal physiology teacher, and agriculture teacher.
There are sixty-five schools of higher education in the Seattle area, including five within twenty-five miles of Seattle where you can get a degree to start your career as an agriculture professor. Given that the most common education level for agriculture professors is a Doctoral degree, you can expect to spend four or five years studying to be an agriculture professor if you already have a Bachelor's degree, or eight to ten years if you have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Agriculture Professor
In general, agriculture professors teach courses in the agricultural sciences. They also includes teachers of agronomy, dairy sciences, and agricultural soil conservation.
Agriculture professors keep abreast of developments in their field by reading current literature, talking with colleagues, and participating in professional conferences. They also ready course materials such as syllabi and handouts. Equally important, agriculture professors have to collaborate with colleagues to address teaching and research issues. They are often called upon to formulate and revise curricula, course content, and course materials and methods of instruction. They are expected to participate in campus and community events. Finally, agriculture professors ready and deliver lectures to undergraduate or graduate students on topics such as crop production and soil chemistry.
Every day, agriculture professors are expected to be able to listen to and understand others in meetings. They need to speak clearly. It is also important that they articulate ideas and problems.
It is important for agriculture professors to act as advisers to student organizations. They are often called upon to compile bibliographies of specialized materials for outside reading assignments. They also furnish professional consulting services to government or industry. They are sometimes expected to write grant proposals to procure external research funding. Somewhat less frequently, agriculture professors are also expected to decide on and obtain materials and supplies such as textbooks and laboratory equipment.
They also have to be able to maintain regularly scheduled office hours to advise and assist students and serve on academic or administrative committees that deal with institutional policies and academic issues. And finally, they sometimes have to compile and grade examinations, or assign this work to others.
Like many other jobs, agriculture professors must have exceptional integrity and be reliable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Seattle include:
- Architecture Professor. Teach courses in architecture and architectural design, such as architectural environmental design, interior architecture/design, and landscape architecture.
- Communication Professor. Teach courses in communications, such as organizational communications, public relations, radio/television broadcasting, and journalism.
- Computer Science Professor. Teach courses in computer science. May specialize in a field of computer science.
- Elementary School Teacher. Teach pupils in public or private schools at the elementary level basic academic, social, and other formative skills.
- English Professor. Teach courses in English language and literature, including linguistics and comparative literature.
- Graduate Research Assistant. Assist department chairperson, faculty members, or other professional staff members in college or university by performing teaching or teaching-related duties, such as teaching lower level courses, developing teaching materials, preparing and giving examinations, and grading examinations or papers. Graduate assistants must be enrolled in a graduate school program. Graduate assistants who primarily perform non-teaching duties, such as laboratory research, should be reported in the occupational category related to the work performed.
- Law Professor. Teach courses in law.
- Math Professor. Teach courses pertaining to mathematical concepts, statistics, and actuarial science and to the application of original and standardized mathematical techniques in solving specific problems and situations.
- Nursing Professor. Demonstrate and teach patient care in classroom and clinical units to nursing students. Includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of both teaching and research.
- Physical Education Professor. Teach courses pertaining to recreation, leisure, and fitness studies, including exercise physiology and facilities management.
- Vocational Instructor. Teach or instruct vocational or occupational subjects at the postsecondary level (but at less than the baccalaureate) to students who have graduated or left high school. Includes correspondence school instructors; industrial, commercial and government training instructors; and adult education teachers and instructors who prepare persons to operate industrial machinery and equipment and transportation and communications equipment. Teaching may take place in public or private schools whose primary business is education or in a school associated with an organization whose primary business is other than education.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Agriculture Professor Training
Seattle Community College-South Campus - Seattle, WA
Seattle Community College-South Campus, 6000 16th Ave SW, Seattle, WA 98106-1499. Seattle Community College-South Campus is a medium sized college located in Seattle, Washington. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs and has 5,319 students. Seattle Community College-South Campus has 2 areas of study related to Agriculture Professor. They are:
- Applied Horticulture/Horticultural Operations, one to two year and associate's degree which graduated two and seven students respectively in 2008.
- Landscaping and Groundskeeping, one to two year and associate's degree which graduated two and three students respectively in 2008.
Tacoma Community College - Tacoma, WA
Tacoma Community College, 6501 S 19th St, Tacoma, WA 98466-6100. Tacoma Community College is a medium sized college located in Tacoma, Washington. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 5,942 students. Tacoma Community College has a less than one year and a one to two year program in Applied Horticulture/Horticultural Operations which graduated thirty-one and one students respectively in 2008.
Edmonds Community College - Lynnwood, WA
Edmonds Community College, 20000 68th Ave W, Lynnwood, WA 98036-5912. Edmonds Community College is a medium sized college located in Lynnwood, Washington. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 7,823 students. Edmonds Community College has 3 areas of study related to Agriculture Professor. They are:
- Applied Horticulture/Horticultural Operations, less than one year which graduated 19 students in 2008.
- Landscaping and Groundskeeping, associate's degree which graduated 14 students in 2008.
- Plant Nursery Operations and Management, associate's degree which graduated 2 students in 2008.
Lake Washington Technical College - Kirkland, WA
Lake Washington Technical College, 11605 132nd Ave NE, Kirkland, WA 98034-8506. Lake Washington Technical College is a small college located in Kirkland, Washington. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 3,010 students. Lake Washington Technical College has a one to two year and an associate's degree program in Applied Horticulture/Horticultural Operations which graduated six and six students respectively in 2008.
Clover Park Technical College - Lakewood, WA
Clover Park Technical College, 4500 Steilacoom Blvd SW, Lakewood, WA 98499-4004. Clover Park Technical College is a medium sized college located in Lakewood, Washington. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 3,781 students. Clover Park Technical College has an associate's degree program in Landscaping and Groundskeeping which graduated four students in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Seattle, Washington
Seattle is located in King County, Washington. It has a population of over 598,541, which has grown by 6.2% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Seattle, 126, is far greater than the national average. New single-family homes in Seattle are valued at $206,700 on average, which is well below the state average. In 2008, five hundred ninety-five new homes were built in Seattle, down from seven hundred seventy-five the previous year.
The three big industries for women in Seattle are health care, professional, scientific, and technical services, and educational services. For men, it is professional, scientific, and technical services, construction, and educational services. The average commute to work is about 25 minutes. More than 47.2% of Seattle residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 17.3%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Seattle is 7.8%, which is less than Washington's average of 8.7%.
The percentage of Seattle residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 37.3%, is less than the national average but more than the state average. The largest religious groups are the Catholic Church, the LDS (Mormon) Church and the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
Seattle is home to the Berth 5 and the Akli Point Lighthouse as well as Lincoln Park and Myrtle Edwards Park. Shopping centers in the area include Lake City Shopping Center, Westwood Village Shopping Center and Oak Tree Village Shopping Center. Visitors to Seattle can choose from A-1 Motel, Arlington Suites and Marriott Sea-Tac Airport for temporary stays in the area.