Career and Education Opportunities for Legislators in Bellevue, Washington
If you want to be a legislator, the Bellevue, Washington area offers many opportunities both for education and employment. There are currently 680 working legislators in Washington; this should grow by 12% to about 750 working legislators in the state by 2016. This is better than the nation as a whole, where employment opportunities for legislators are expected to grow by about 0.7%. Legislators generally develop laws and statutes at the Federal, State, or local level.
The average wage in the general category of Specialized Management jobs is $44 per hour or $87,321 per year in Washington, and an average of $39 per hour or $74,363 per year nationwide. Earnings for legislators are not quite as good as earnings in the general category of Specialized Management in Washington and not quite as good as general Specialized Management category earnings nationally. People working as legislators can fill a number of jobs, such as: assembly person, congressional representative, and assemblyman or woman.
There are sixty-four schools of higher education in the Bellevue area, including four within twenty-five miles of Bellevue where you can get a degree to start your career as a legislator.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Legislator
In general, legislators develop laws and statutes at the Federal, State, or local level.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Bellevue include:
- Construction Foreman. Plan, direct, or budget, usually through subordinate supervisory personnel, activities concerned with the construction and maintenance of structures, facilities, and systems. Participate in the conceptual development of a construction project and oversee its organization, scheduling, and implementation.
- Garden Center Manager. Plan, organize, direct, and coordinate activities of workers engaged in propagating, cultivating, and harvesting horticultural specialties, such as trees, shrubs, and other plants.
- Natural Resources Specialist. Plan, direct, or coordinate activities in such fields as life sciences, physical sciences, and research and development in these fields.
- Property Manager. Plan, direct, or coordinate selling, buying, or governance activities of commercial, industrial, or residential real estate properties.
- Social Service Coordinator. Plan, organize, or coordinate the activities of a social service program or community outreach organization. Oversee the program or organization's budget and policies regarding participant involvement, program requirements, and benefits. Work may involve directing social workers, counselors, or probation officers.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Legislator Training
Seattle University - Seattle, WA
Seattle University, 900 Broadway, Seattle, WA 98122-4340. Seattle University is a medium sized university located in Seattle, Washington. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 7,560 students and an admission rate of 65%. Seattle University has a bachelor's degree and a master's degree program in Public Administration which graduated eleven and forty-six students respectively in 2008.
University of Washington-Seattle Campus - Seattle, WA
University of Washington-Seattle Campus, 1400 NE Campus Parkway, Seattle, WA 98195-4550. University of Washington-Seattle Campus is a large university located in Seattle, Washington. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 39,675 students and an admission rate of 61%. University of Washington-Seattle Campus has 2 areas of study related to Legislator. They are:
- Public Administration, master's degree which graduated 148 students in 2008.
- Public Policy Analysis, master's degree which graduated 16 students in 2008.
University of Washington-Bothell Campus - Bothell, WA
University of Washington-Bothell Campus, 18115 Campus Way NE, Bothell, WA 98011-8246. University of Washington-Bothell Campus is a small university located in Bothell, Washington. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 2,214 students and an admission rate of 73%. University of Washington-Bothell Campus has a master's degree program in Public Policy Analysis which graduated eighteen students in 2008.
University of Phoenix-Western Washington Campus - Tukwila, WA
University of Phoenix-Western Washington Campus, 7100 Fort Dent Way, Tukwila, WA 98188-8559. University of Phoenix-Western Washington Campus is a small university located in Tukwila, Washington. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs and has 638 students. University of Phoenix-Western Washington Campus has a bachelor's degree program in Public Administration and Social Service Professions, Other Specialties which graduated eight students in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Bellevue, Washington
Bellevue is located in King County, Washington. It has a population of over 123,771, which has grown by 13.0% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Bellevue, 128, is far greater than the national average. New single-family homes in Bellevue are valued at $475,200 on average, which is far greater than the state average. In 2008, one hundred thirteen new homes were built in Bellevue, down from one hundred sixty-five the previous year.
The top three industries for women in Bellevue are health care, professional, scientific, and technical services, and educational services. For men, it is professional, scientific, and technical services, transportation equipment, and construction. The average commute to work is about 22 minutes. More than 54.1% of Bellevue residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 19.4%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Bellevue is 7.2%, which is less than Washington's average of 8.7%.
The percentage of Bellevue residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 37.3%, is less than the national average but more than the state average. The most prominent religious groups are the Catholic Church, the LDS (Mormon) Church and the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
Bellevue is home to the Sunset Plaza and the Eastgate Plaza as well as Killarney Glen Park and Coal Creek Park. Shopping malls in the area include Hillfair Shopping Center, Lake Hills Shopping Center and Crossroads Shopping Center. Visitors to Bellevue can choose from Bedynamic Inc, Fairfield Inn Seattle-Bellevue and Bellevue Travelodge for temporary stays in the area.