Career and Education Opportunities for Postmasters in Chesapeake, Virginia
Many educational and employment opportunities exist for postmasters in the Chesapeake, Virginia area. The national trend for postmasters sees this job pool shrinking by about 15.1% over the next eight years. Postmasters generally direct and coordinate operational, administrative, and supportive services of a U.
The income of a postmaster is about $27 hourly or $57,810 per year on average in Virginia. In the U.S. as a whole, their income is about $28 hourly or $59,310 annually on average. Earnings for postmasters are not quite as good as earnings in the general category of Transportation and Logistics in Virginia and not quite as good as general Transportation and Logistics category earnings nationally. Jobs in this field include: workgroup leader, distribution operation supervisor , and postmaster relief .
There are three schools within twenty-five miles of Chesapeake where you can study to be a postmaster, among thirty-six schools of higher education total in the Chesapeake area. Postmasters usually hold a high school diploma or GED, so you can expect to spend only a short time studying to be a postmaster if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Postmaster
In general, postmasters direct and coordinate operational, administrative, and supportive services of a U. They also s.
Postmasters organize and supervise efforts such as the processing of incoming and outgoing mail. They also resolve customer complaints. Finally, postmasters ready employee work schedules.
Every day, postmasters are expected to be able to evaluate problems as they arise. They need to articulate ideas and problems. It is also important that they listen to and understand others in meetings.
It is important for postmasters to ready and submit detailed and summary reports of post office efforts to designated supervisors. They are often called upon to hire and train employees, and evaluate their performance. They also negotiate labor disputes. They are sometimes expected to direct and schedule operational, management, and supportive services of one or variety of postal facilities. Somewhat less frequently, postmasters are also expected to hire and train employees, and evaluate their performance.
Postmasters sometimes are asked to ready employee work schedules. They also have to be able to issue and cash money orders And finally, they sometimes have to talk with suppliers to obtain bids for proposed purchases and to requisition supplies; disburse funds in line with federal regulations.
Like many other jobs, postmasters must have strong self control in the face of challenging situations and be reliable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Chesapeake include:
- Administrator. Plan, direct, or coordinate supportive services of an organization, such as recordkeeping, mail distribution, telephone operator/receptionist, and other office support services. May oversee facilities planning and maintenance and custodial operations.
- Chief Executive Officer. Determine and formulate policies and provide the overall direction of companies or private and public sector organizations within the guidelines set up by a board of directors or similar governing body. Plan, direct, or coordinate operational activities at the highest level of management with the help of subordinate executives and staff managers.
- Compensation and Benefits Manager. Plan, direct, or coordinate compensation and benefits activities and staff of an organization.
- Human Relations Manager. Plan, direct, and coordinate human resource management activities of an organization to maximize the strategic use of human resources and maintain functions such as employee compensation, recruitment, and regulatory compliance.
- Shipping Receiving Manager. Plan, direct, and coordinate the storage and distribution operations within an organization or the activities of organizations that are engaged in storing and distributing materials and products.
- Social Service Coordinator. Plan, organize, or coordinate the activities of a social service program or community outreach organization. Oversee the program or organization's budget and policies regarding participant involvement, program requirements, and benefits. Work may involve directing social workers, counselors, or probation officers.
- Transportation Manager. Plan, direct, and coordinate the transportation operations within an organization or the activities of organizations that provide transportation services.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Postmaster Training
Thomas Nelson Community College - Hampton, VA
Thomas Nelson Community College, 99 Thomas Nelson Drive, Hampton, VA 23666. Thomas Nelson Community College is a large college located in Hampton, Virginia. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 7,541 students. Thomas Nelson Community College has a one to two year and an associate's degree program in Public Administration which graduated zero and twenty students respectively in 2008.
Regent University - Virginia Beach, VA
Regent University, 1000 Regent University Dr, Virginia Beach, VA 23464. Regent University is a small university located in Virginia Beach, Virginia. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 4,197 students and an admission rate of 50%. Regent University has less than one year, postbaccalaureate certificate, and master's degree programs in Public Administration which graduated eleven, zero, and nine students respectively in 2008.
Old Dominion University - Norfolk, VA
Old Dominion University, 5115 Hampton Blvd, Norfolk, VA 23529. Old Dominion University is a large university located in Norfolk, Virginia. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 22,973 students and an admission rate of 72%. Old Dominion University has a master's degree and a doctor's degree program in Public Administration which graduated thirty-seven and two students respectively in 2008.
Manager of Quality/Organizational Excellence: The Certified Manager of Quality/Organizational Excellence is a professional who leads and champions process-improvement initiatives everywhere from small businesses to multinational corporations that can have regional or global focus in a variety of service and industrial settings.
For more information, see the American Society for Quality website.
Certified Manager: Certified Manager certification is valued for the credibility and recognition it brings to managers and the organizations for which they work.
For more information, see the Institute of Certified Professional Managers website.
Program Management Professional: Project Management Institute's newest credential is specifically developed to acknowledge the qualifications of the professional who leads the coordinated management of multiple projects and ensures the ultimate success of a program.
For more information, see the Project Management Institute website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Chesapeake, Virginia
Chesapeake is located in Chesapeake City County, Virginia. It has a population of over 220,111, which has grown by 10.5% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Chesapeake, 87, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in Chesapeake are priced at $160,000 on average, which is well above the state average. In 2008, five hundred eighty-nine new homes were constructed in Chesapeake, down from seven hundred fifty-eight the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Chesapeake are educational services, health care, and public administration. For men, it is construction, public administration, and transportation equipment. The average travel time to work is about 25 minutes. More than 24.7% of Chesapeake residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 8.8%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Chesapeake is 6.1%, which is less than Virginia's average of 6.4%.
Pleasant Grove Church, Refuge Mission Church and Saint Andrews Church are among the churches located in Chesapeake.
Chesapeake is home to the Jacks Camp and the Portlock Yard as well as Cascade Park and Ford Park. Shopping malls in the area include Great Bridge Shopping Center, Greenbrier Mall Shopping Center and Poplar Hill Plaza Shopping Center. Visitors to Chesapeake can choose from Courtyard By Marriott, Chesapeake Travelodge Motel and Comfort Inn Bowers Hill for temporary stays in the area.