Career and Education Opportunities for Legislators in Chesapeake, Virginia
Legislator career and educational opportunities abound in Chesapeake, Virginia. The national trend for legislators sees this job pool growing by about 0.7% over the next eight years. In general, legislators develop laws and statutes at the Federal, State, or local level.
The average wage in the general category of Specialized Management jobs is $46 per hour or $87,560 per year in Virginia, and an average of $39 per hour or $74,363 per year nationwide. Legislators earn less than people working in the category of Specialized Management generally in Virginia and less than people in the Specialized Management category nationally. Legislators work in a variety of jobs, including: member of congress, u.s. senator, and councilperson.
The Chesapeake area is home to thirty-six schools of higher education, including three within twenty-five miles of Chesapeake where you can get a degree as a legislator.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Legislator
In general, legislators develop laws and statutes at the Federal, State, or local level.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Chesapeake include:
- Construction Foreman. Plan, direct, or budget, usually through subordinate supervisory personnel, activities concerned with the construction and maintenance of structures, facilities, and systems. Participate in the conceptual development of a construction project and oversee its organization, scheduling, and implementation.
- Natural Resources Specialist. Plan, direct, or coordinate activities in such fields as life sciences, physical sciences, and research and development in these fields.
- Social Service Coordinator. Plan, organize, or coordinate the activities of a social service program or community outreach organization. Oversee the program or organization's budget and policies regarding participant involvement, program requirements, and benefits. Work may involve directing social workers, counselors, or probation officers.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Legislator Training
Thomas Nelson Community College - Hampton, VA
Thomas Nelson Community College, 99 Thomas Nelson Drive, Hampton, VA 23666. Thomas Nelson Community College is a large college located in Hampton, Virginia. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 7,541 students. Thomas Nelson Community College has a one to two year and an associate's degree program in Public Administration which graduated zero and twenty students respectively in 2008.
Regent University - Virginia Beach, VA
Regent University, 1000 Regent University Dr, Virginia Beach, VA 23464. Regent University is a small university located in Virginia Beach, Virginia. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 4,197 students and an admission rate of 50%. Regent University has 3 areas of study related to Legislator. They are:
- Public Administration, less than one year, postbaccalaureate certificate, and master's degree which graduated eleven, zero, and nine students respectively in 2008.
- Public Policy Analysis, less than one year, postbaccalaureate certificate, and master's degree which graduated twenty, zero, and thirty students respectively in 2008.
- Public Administration and Social Service Professions, Other Specialties, postbaccalaureate certificate and master's degree which graduated one and zero students respectively in 2008.
Old Dominion University - Norfolk, VA
Old Dominion University, 5115 Hampton Blvd, Norfolk, VA 23529. Old Dominion University is a large university located in Norfolk, Virginia. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 22,973 students and an admission rate of 72%. Old Dominion University has a master's degree and a doctor's degree program in Public Administration which graduated thirty-seven and two students respectively in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Chesapeake, Virginia
Chesapeake is located in Chesapeake City County, Virginia. It has a population of over 220,111, which has grown by 10.5% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Chesapeake, 87, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in Chesapeake are priced at $160,000 on average, which is well above the state average. In 2008, five hundred eighty-nine new homes were constructed in Chesapeake, down from seven hundred fifty-eight the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Chesapeake are educational services, health care, and public administration. For men, it is construction, public administration, and transportation equipment. The average travel time to work is about 25 minutes. More than 24.7% of Chesapeake residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 8.8%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Chesapeake is 6.1%, which is less than Virginia's average of 6.4%.
Pleasant Grove Church, Refuge Mission Church and Saint Andrews Church are among the churches located in Chesapeake.
Chesapeake is home to the Jacks Camp and the Portlock Yard as well as Cascade Park and Ford Park. Shopping malls in the area include Great Bridge Shopping Center, Greenbrier Mall Shopping Center and Poplar Hill Plaza Shopping Center. Visitors to Chesapeake can choose from Courtyard By Marriott, Chesapeake Travelodge Motel and Comfort Inn Bowers Hill for temporary stays in the area.