Career and Education Opportunities for Budget Analysts in Chesapeake, Virginia
Budget analysts can find both educational opportunities and jobs in the Chesapeake, Virginia area. The national trend for budget analysts sees this job pool growing by about 15.1% over the next eight years. Budget analysts generally examine budget estimates for completeness, accuracy, and conformance with procedures and regulations.
Budget analysts earn approximately $36 hourly or $76,140 yearly on average in Virginia. Nationally they average about $31 hourly or $65,320 annually. Compared with people working in the overall category of Accounting and Auditing, people working as budget analysts in Virginia earn more. They earn more than people working in the overall category of Accounting and Auditing nationally. People working as budget analysts can fill a number of jobs, such as: budget engineer, cost analyst, and fiscal officer.
There are five schools within twenty-five miles of Chesapeake where you can study to be a budget analyst, among thirty-six schools of higher education total in the Chesapeake area. The most common level of education for budget analysts is a Bachelor's degree. You can expect to spend about four years training to become a budget analyst if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Budget Analyst
In general, budget analysts examine budget estimates for completeness, accuracy, and conformance with procedures and regulations. They also analyze budgeting and accounting reports for the purpose of maintaining expenditure controls.
Budget analysts furnish advice and technical assistance as well as cost analysis and budget preparation. They also examine budget estimates for completeness and conformance with procedures and regulations. Equally important, budget analysts have to inspect operating budgets to analyze trends affecting budget needs. They are often called upon to confer with managers to insure that budget adjustments are made in accordance with program changes. They are expected to direct the preparation of regular and special budget reports. Finally, budget analysts perform cost-benefit analyses to compare operating programs, review financial requests, or explore alternative financing methods.
Every day, budget analysts are expected to be able to deal with basic arithmetic problems. They need to read and understand documents and reports. It is also important that they decide how to think about problems involving math.
It is important for budget analysts to seek new ways to further optimize efficiency and increase profits. They are often called upon to interpret budget directives and establish policies for carrying out directives. They also match appropriations for specific programs with appropriations for broader programs, including items for emergency funds. They are sometimes expected to analyze monthly department budgeting and accounting reports to maintain expenditure controls. Somewhat less frequently, budget analysts are also expected to testify before examining and fund-granting authorities, clarifying and promoting the proposed budgets.
And finally, they sometimes have to perform cost-benefit analyses to compare operating programs, review financial requests, or explore alternative financing methods.
Like many other jobs, budget analysts must be thorough and dependable and have exceptional integrity.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Chesapeake include:
- Accountant. Analyze financial information and prepare financial reports to determine or maintain records of assets, liabilities, profit and loss, tax liability, or other financial activities within an organization.
- Auditor. Examine and analyze accounting records to determine financial status of establishment and prepare financial reports concerning operating procedures.
- Business Management Analyst. Conduct organizational studies and evaluations, design systems and procedures, conduct work simplifications and measurement studies, and prepare operations and procedures manuals to assist management in operating more efficiently and effectively. Includes program analysts and management consultants.
- Cost Analyst. Prepare cost estimates for product manufacturing, construction projects, or services to aid management in bidding on or determining price of product or service. May specialize according to particular service performed or type of product manufactured.
- Credit Analyst. Analyze current credit data and financial statements of individuals or firms to determine the degree of risk involved in extending credit or lending money. Prepare reports with this credit information for use in decision-making.
- Financial Analyst. Conduct quantitative analyses of information affecting investment programs of public or private institutions.
- Financial Examiner. Enforce or ensure compliance with laws and regulations governing financial and securities institutions and financial and real estate transactions. May examine, verify correctness of, or establish authenticity of records.
- Loan Counselor. Provide guidance to prospective loan applicants who have problems qualifying for traditional loans. Guidance may include determining the best type of loan and explaining loan requirements or restrictions.
- Loan Officer. Evaluate, authorize, or recommend approval of commercial, real estate, or credit loans. Advise borrowers on financial status and methods of payments. Includes mortgage loan officers and agents, collection analysts, loan servicing officers, and loan underwriters.
- Personal Financial Planner. Advise clients on financial plans utilizing knowledge of tax and investment strategies, securities, and real estate. Duties include assessing clients' assets, liabilities, and financial objectives to establish investment strategies.
- Tax Examiner. Determine tax liability or collect taxes from individuals or business firms according to prescribed laws and regulations.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Budget Analyst Training
Bryant and Stratton College-Virginia Beach - Virginia Beach, VA
Bryant and Stratton College-Virginia Beach, 301 Centre Pointe Dr, Virginia Beach, VA 23462. Bryant and Stratton College-Virginia Beach is a small college located in Virginia Beach, Virginia. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs and has 567 students. Bryant and Stratton College-Virginia Beach has an associate's degree program in Accounting which graduated four students in 2008.
Elizabeth City State University - Elizabeth City, NC
Elizabeth City State University, 1704 Weeksville Rd, Elizabeth City, NC 27909. Elizabeth City State University is a small university located in Elizabeth City, North Carolina. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 3,105 students and an admission rate of 80%. Elizabeth City State University has a bachelor's degree program in Accounting which graduated four students in 2008.
Norfolk State University - Norfolk, VA
Norfolk State University, 700 Park Ave, Norfolk, VA 23504-8000. Norfolk State University is a medium sized university located in Norfolk, Virginia. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 6,330 students and an admission rate of 68%. Norfolk State University has a bachelor's degree program in Accounting which graduated forty-one students in 2008.
Old Dominion University - Norfolk, VA
Old Dominion University, 5115 Hampton Blvd, Norfolk, VA 23529. Old Dominion University is a large university located in Norfolk, Virginia. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 22,973 students and an admission rate of 72%. Old Dominion University has 2 areas of study related to Budget Analyst. They are:
- Accounting, bachelor's degree and master's degree which graduated three and seventeen students respectively in 2008.
- Finance, bachelor's degree which graduated 3 students in 2008.
Hampton University - Hampton, VA
Hampton University, , Hampton, VA 23668-0099. Hampton University is a medium sized university located in Hampton, Virginia. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs and has an admission rate of 45%. Hampton University has 2 areas of study related to Budget Analyst. They are:
- Accounting, bachelor's degree which graduated 28 students in 2008.
- Finance, bachelor's degree which graduated 23 students in 2008.
Fiscal Services - Accelerated Package: Fiscal Services - Accelerated Package course list: Better Requests for Proposals for Better Projects; Continuous Improvement Through Monitoring; Contracting; New Coding System for the 21st Century; Procurement; and Writing Winning Grant Proposals.
For more information, see the Dynamic Works Institute website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Chesapeake, Virginia
Chesapeake is located in Chesapeake City County, Virginia. It has a population of over 220,111, which has grown by 10.5% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Chesapeake, 87, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in Chesapeake are priced at $160,000 on average, which is well above the state average. In 2008, five hundred eighty-nine new homes were constructed in Chesapeake, down from seven hundred fifty-eight the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Chesapeake are educational services, health care, and public administration. For men, it is construction, public administration, and transportation equipment. The average travel time to work is about 25 minutes. More than 24.7% of Chesapeake residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 8.8%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Chesapeake is 6.1%, which is less than Virginia's average of 6.4%.
Pleasant Grove Church, Refuge Mission Church and Saint Andrews Church are among the churches located in Chesapeake.
Chesapeake is home to the Jacks Camp and the Portlock Yard as well as Cascade Park and Ford Park. Shopping malls in the area include Great Bridge Shopping Center, Greenbrier Mall Shopping Center and Poplar Hill Plaza Shopping Center. Visitors to Chesapeake can choose from Courtyard By Marriott, Chesapeake Travelodge Motel and Comfort Inn Bowers Hill for temporary stays in the area.