Career and Education Opportunities for Multi-Media Artist or Animators in Chesapeake, Virginia
There are many career and education opportunities for multi-media artist or animators in the Chesapeake, Virginia area. The national trend for multi-media artist or animators sees this job pool growing by about 14.2% over the next eight years. In general, multi-media artist or animators create special effects, animation, or other visual images using film, video, or other electronic tools and media for use in products or creations, such as computer games, movies, and commercials.
Income for multi-media artist or animators is about $26 per hour or $55,080 yearly on average in Virginia. Nationally, their income is about $27 per hour or $56,330 yearly. Earnings for multi-media artist or animators are better than earnings in the general category of Art and Design in Virginia and better than general Art and Design category earnings nationally. Jobs in this field include: media specialist, prop and effects designer, and game artist.
There are thirty-six schools of higher education in the Chesapeake area, including two within twenty-five miles of Chesapeake where you can get a degree to start your career as a multi-media artist or animator. Multi-media artist or animators usually hold a Bachelor's degree, so it will take about four years to learn to be a multi-media artist or animator if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Multi-Media Artist or Animator
In general, multi-media artist or animators create special effects, animation, or other visual images using film, video, or other electronic tools and media for use in products or creations, such as computer games, movies, and commercials.
Every day, multi-media artist or animators are expected to be able to be creative and generate new ideas. They need to visualize how things come together and can be organized. It is also important that they listen to and understand others in meetings.
It is important for multi-media artist or animators to layout complex graphics and animation, using independent judgment and computer equipment. They are often called upon to make objects or characters appear lifelike by manipulating light and transparency, or manipulating static images to give the illusion of motion. They also develop pen-and-paper images to be scanned, edited, colored, textured or animated by computer. They are sometimes expected to develop basic designs and illustrations for product labels or television. Somewhat less frequently, multi-media artist or animators are also expected to use models to simulate the behavior of animated objects in the finished sequence.
Multi-media artist or animators sometimes are asked to develop and install special effects as required by the script, mixing chemicals and fabricating needed parts from wood and clay. and implement and maintain configuration control systems. And finally, they sometimes have to implement and maintain configuration control systems.
Like many other jobs, multi-media artist or animators must be thorough and dependable and be reliable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Chesapeake include:
- Art Director. Formulate design concepts and presentation approaches, and direct workers engaged in art work, layout design, and copy writing for visual communications media, such as magazines, books, and packaging.
- Craftsman. Create or reproduce hand-made objects for sale and exhibition using a variety of techniques, such as welding, weaving, and needlecraft.
- Fine Artist. Create original artwork using any of a wide variety of mediums and techniques.
- Graphic Designer. Design or create graphics to meet specific commercial or promotional needs, such as packaging, displays, or logos. May use a variety of mediums to achieve artistic or decorative effects.
- Industrial Designer. Develop and design manufactured products, such as cars, home appliances, and children's toys. Combine artistic talent with research on product use, marketing, and materials to create the most functional and appealing product design.
- Interior Designer. Plan, design, and furnish interiors of residential, commercial, or industrial buildings. Formulate design which is practical, aesthetic, and conducive to intended purposes, such as raising productivity, selling merchandise, or improving life style. May specialize in a particular field, style, or phase of interior design.
- Set and Exhibit Designer. Design special exhibits and movie, television, and theater sets. May study scripts, confer with directors, and conduct research to determine appropriate architectural styles.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Multi-Media Artist or Animator Training
ITT Technical Institute-Norfolk - Norfolk, VA
ITT Technical Institute-Norfolk, 863 Glenrock Rd, Ste 100, Norfolk, VA 23502-3701. ITT Technical Institute-Norfolk is a small school located in Norfolk, Virginia. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 1,066 students and an admission rate of 46%. ITT Technical Institute-Norfolk has 2 areas of study related to Multi-Media Artist or Animator. They are:
- Animation, Interactive Technology, Video Graphics & Special Effects, bachelor's degree which graduated 6 students in 2008.
- Web Page, Digital/Multimedia & Information Resources Design, associate's degree which graduated 24 students in 2008.
Elizabeth City State University - Elizabeth City, NC
Elizabeth City State University, 1704 Weeksville Rd, Elizabeth City, NC 27909. Elizabeth City State University is a small university located in Elizabeth City, North Carolina. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 3,105 students and an admission rate of 80%. Elizabeth City State University has a bachelor's degree program in Graphic Design which graduated seven students in 2008.
Certified Web Professional - Site Designer: A CWP Site Designer implements and maintains Web sites using authoring and scripting languages, content creation and management tools, and digital media.
For more information, see the International Webmasters Association website.
Web Graphics and Multimedia Certificate: Equips the student for work as a Web graphic artist, creating illustrations, pictures, buttons, and other images for use on the Web, as well as the ability to create interactive multimedia designs in Flash or other programs.
For more information, see the International Webmasters Association website.
Certified Web Designer Associate: Web Designer Associates are proficient in the visual arts and creating the images and designs that capture and keep visitors' interest.
For more information, see the World Organization of Webmasters website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Chesapeake, Virginia
Chesapeake is located in Chesapeake City County, Virginia. It has a population of over 220,111, which has grown by 10.5% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Chesapeake, 87, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in Chesapeake are priced at $160,000 on average, which is well above the state average. In 2008, five hundred eighty-nine new homes were constructed in Chesapeake, down from seven hundred fifty-eight the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Chesapeake are educational services, health care, and public administration. For men, it is construction, public administration, and transportation equipment. The average travel time to work is about 25 minutes. More than 24.7% of Chesapeake residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 8.8%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Chesapeake is 6.1%, which is less than Virginia's average of 6.4%.
Pleasant Grove Church, Refuge Mission Church and Saint Andrews Church are among the churches located in Chesapeake.
Chesapeake is home to the Jacks Camp and the Portlock Yard as well as Cascade Park and Ford Park. Shopping malls in the area include Great Bridge Shopping Center, Greenbrier Mall Shopping Center and Poplar Hill Plaza Shopping Center. Visitors to Chesapeake can choose from Courtyard By Marriott, Chesapeake Travelodge Motel and Comfort Inn Bowers Hill for temporary stays in the area.