Career and Education Opportunities for Cage Cashiers in Alexandria, Virginia
Many educational and employment opportunities exist for cage cashiers in the Alexandria, Virginia area. The national trend for cage cashiers sees this job pool shrinking by about 10.4% over the next eight years. In general, cage cashiers exchange coins and tokens for patrons' money.
The average wage in the general category of Sales and Clerical jobs is $21 per hour or $43,469 per year in Virginia, and an average of $20 per hour or $41,244 per year nationwide.
There is one school within twenty-five miles of Alexandria where you can study to be a cage cashier, among eighty-four schools of higher education total in the Alexandria area. The most common level of education for cage cashiers is a high school diploma or GED. You can expect to spend only a short time studying to be a cage cashier if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Cage Cashier
In general, cage cashiers exchange coins and tokens for patrons' money. They also may issue payoffs and obtain customer's signature on receipt when winnings exceed the amount held in the slot machine.
Cage cashiers count money and audit money drawers. Finally, cage cashiers exchange money and casino chips, and make change for clients.
Every day, cage cashiers are expected to be able to listen to and understand others in meetings. They need to see details at a very fine level of focus. It is also important that they articulate ideas and problems.
It is important for cage cashiers to keep accurate records of monetary exchanges and transaction reconciliations. They are often called upon to work in and monitor an assigned area on the casino floor where slot machines are located. They also listen for jackpot alarm bells and issue payoffs to winners. They are sometimes expected to exchange money and casino chips, and make change for clients. Somewhat less frequently, cage cashiers are also expected to furnish change persons with a money bank at the start of each shift.
They also have to be able to calculate the value of chips won or lost by players And finally, they sometimes have to calculate the value of chips won or lost by players.
Like many other jobs, cage cashiers must be reliable and be thorough and dependable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Alexandria include:
- Advertising Agent. Sell or solicit advertising, including graphic art, advertising space in publications, custom made signs, or TV and radio advertising time. May obtain leases for outdoor advertising sites or persuade retailer to use sales promotion display items.
- Cashier. Receive and disburse money in establishments other than financial institutions. Usually involves use of electronic scanners, cash registers, or related equipment. Often involved in processing credit or debit card transactions and validating checks.
- Insurance Agent. Sell life, property, or other types of insurance. May refer clients to independent brokers, work as independent broker, or be employed by an insurance company.
- Product Demonstrator. Demonstrate merchandise and answer questions for the purpose of creating public interest in buying the product. May sell demonstrated merchandise.
- Retail Sales Manager. Directly supervise sales workers in a retail establishment or department. Duties may include management functions, such as purchasing, budgeting, and personnel work, in addition to supervisory duties.
- Retail Salesman. Sell merchandise, such as furniture, motor vehicles, or apparel in a retail establishment.
- Sales Team Manager. Directly supervise and coordinate activities of sales workers other than retail sales workers. May perform duties, such as budgeting, accounting, and personnel work, in addition to supervisory duties.
- Technical Service Representative. Sell goods for wholesalers or manufacturers where technical or scientific knowledge is required in such areas as biology, engineering, and electronics, normally obtained from at least 2 years of post-secondary education.
- Telemarketer. Solicit orders for goods or services over the telephone.
- Wholesale and Manufacturing Sales Representative. Sell goods for wholesalers or manufacturers to businesses or groups of individuals. Work requires substantial knowledge of items sold.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Cage Cashier Training
Anne Arundel Community College - Arnold, MD
Anne Arundel Community College, 101 College Pky, Arnold, MD 21012-1895. Anne Arundel Community College is a large college located in Arnold, Maryland. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 15,149 students. Anne Arundel Community College has a one to two year program in Retailing and Retail Operations.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Alexandria, Virginia
Alexandria is situated in Alexandria City County, Virginia. It has a population of over 143,885, which has grown by 12.2% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Alexandria, 124, is far greater than the national average.
The three big industries for women in Alexandria are professional, scientific, and technical services, public administration, and health care. For men, it is professional, scientific, and technical services, public administration, and construction. The average commute to work is about 30 minutes. More than 54.3% of Alexandria residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 24.8%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Alexandria is 4.6%, which is less than Virginia's average of 6.4%.
Church of Resurrection Episcopal, Agudas Achim Synagogue and Alexandria Bible Church are some of the churches located in Alexandria.
Alexandria is home to the Circle Terrace Hospital and the Kate Waller Barrett Branch as well as Marina Park and Founders Park. Shopping centers in the area include Hamlet Shopping Center, Landmark Shopping Center and Arlandria Shopping Center. Visitors to Alexandria can choose from Comfort Inn-Landmark, Best Western Old Colony Inn and Hilton Inn for temporary stays in the area.