Career and Education Opportunities for Typists in West Valley City, Utah
There is a wide variety of career and education opportunities for typists in the West Valley City, Utah area. The national trend for typists sees this job pool shrinking by about 5.7% over the next eight years. In general, typists type letters, reports, or other material from rough draft, corrected copy, or voice recording.
The average wage in the general category of Computer Operation jobs is $16 per hour or $34,260 per year in Utah, and an average of $16 per hour or $32,912 per year nationwide.
There are thirty-three schools of higher education in the West Valley City area, including one within twenty-five miles of West Valley City where you can get a degree to start your career as a typist. The most common level of education for typists is a high school diploma or GED. You can expect to spend only a short time studying to be a typist if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Typist
In general, typists type letters, reports, or other material from rough draft, corrected copy, or voice recording. They also may perform other clerical duties as assigned.
Typists print and make copies of their work. They also perform other clerical duties such as answering telephone, sorting and distributing mail, running errands or sending faxes. Equally important, typists have to type correspondence, reports, text and other written material from rough drafts, corrected copies, voice recordings, dictation or previous versions, using a computer or typewriter. They are often called upon to address envelopes or ready envelope labels, using typewriter or computer. They are expected to adjust settings for format and other style requirements. Finally, typists gather and arrange the material to be typed, following instructions.
Every day, typists are expected to be able to see details at a very fine level of focus. It is also important that they move their hands and fingers quickly.
It is important for typists to search for specific sets of stored, typed characters so as to make changes. They are often called upon to compute and verify totals on report forms or bills, using adding machine or calculator. They also keep archives of work performed. They are sometimes expected to transcribe stenotyped notes of court proceedings. Somewhat less frequently, typists are also expected to transmit work electronically to other locations.
Typists sometimes are asked to gather and arrange the material to be typed, following instructions. They also have to be able to reformat documents, moving paragraphs and/or columns And finally, they sometimes have to use data entry devices.
Like many other jobs, typists must be thorough and dependable and have exceptional integrity.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in West Valley City include:
- Computer Clerk. Operate data entry device.
- Correspondence Clerk. Compose letters in reply to requests for merchandise, damage claims, credit and other information, delinquent accounts, or unsatisfactory services. Duties may include gathering data to formulate reply and typing correspondence.
- Medical Secretary. Perform secretarial duties utilizing specific knowledge of medical terminology and hospital, clinic, or laboratory procedures. Duties include scheduling appointments, billing patients, and compiling and recording medical charts, reports, and correspondence.
- Office Clerk. Perform duties too varied and diverse to be classified in any specific office clerical occupation, requiring limited knowledge of office management systems and procedures. Clerical duties may be assigned in accordance with the office procedures of individual establishments and may include a combination of answering telephones, bookkeeping, typing or word processing, stenography, office machine operation, and filing.
- Online Publisher. Format typescript and graphic elements using computer software to produce publication-ready material.
- Secretary. Perform routine clerical and administrative functions such as drafting correspondence, scheduling appointments, organizing and maintaining paper and electronic files, or providing information to callers.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Typist Training
Salt Lake Community College - Salt Lake City, UT
Salt Lake Community College, 4600 S Redwood Rd, Salt Lake City, UT 84123. Salt Lake Community College is a large college located in Salt Lake City, Utah. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 29,539 students. Salt Lake Community College has a less than one year program in General Office Occupations and Clerical Services which graduated eight students in 2008.
Certified Broadcast Captioner: Prove you're on the cutting edge.
For more information, see the National Court Reporters Association website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: West Valley City, Utah
West Valley City is situated in Salt Lake County, Utah. It has a population of over 123,447, which has grown by 13.4% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in West Valley City, 87, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in West Valley City are valued at $108,600 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, ninety-eight new homes were constructed in West Valley City, down from two hundred thirty-five the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in West Valley City are finance and insurance, health care, and educational services. For men, it is construction, accommodation and food services, and administrative and support and waste management services. The average travel time to work is about 23 minutes. More than 11.4% of West Valley City residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 2.8%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in West Valley City is 8.3%, which is greater than Utah's average of 6.3%.
The percentage of West Valley City residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 67.5%, is more than the national average but less than the state average. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, Atonement Lutheran Church and Saints Peter and Paul Catholic Church are some of the churches located in West Valley City. The most common religious groups are the LDS (Mormon) Church, the Catholic Church and the Southern Baptist Convention.
West Valley City is home to the Valley Indoor Market Place and the Mini Warehouse Condominium. Shopping malls in the area include Redwood Shopping Center, Valley Fair Mall and Granger Shopping Center.