Career and Education Opportunities for Legislators in West Valley City, Utah
Legislator career and educational opportunities abound in West Valley City, Utah. There are currently 590 working legislators in Utah; this should grow by 11% to about 660 working legislators in the state by 2016. This is better than the nation as a whole, where employment opportunities for legislators are expected to grow by about 0.7%. Legislators generally develop laws and statutes at the Federal, State, or local level.
The average wage in the general category of Specialized Management jobs is $33 per hour or $64,129 per year in Utah, and an average of $39 per hour or $74,363 per year nationwide. Legislators earn less than people working in the category of Specialized Management generally in Utah and less than people in the Specialized Management category nationally. Jobs in this field include: u.s. senator, congressman, and congressional representative.
There are three schools within twenty-five miles of West Valley City where you can study to be a legislator, among thirty-three schools of higher education total in the West Valley City area.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Legislator
In general, legislators develop laws and statutes at the Federal, State, or local level.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in West Valley City include:
- Construction Foreman. Plan, direct, or budget, usually through subordinate supervisory personnel, activities concerned with the construction and maintenance of structures, facilities, and systems. Participate in the conceptual development of a construction project and oversee its organization, scheduling, and implementation.
- Garden Center Manager. Plan, organize, direct, and coordinate activities of workers engaged in propagating, cultivating, and harvesting horticultural specialties, such as trees, shrubs, and other plants.
- Natural Resources Specialist. Plan, direct, or coordinate activities in such fields as life sciences, physical sciences, and research and development in these fields.
- Social Service Coordinator. Plan, organize, or coordinate the activities of a social service program or community outreach organization. Oversee the program or organization's budget and policies regarding participant involvement, program requirements, and benefits. Work may involve directing social workers, counselors, or probation officers.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Legislator Training
University of Phoenix-Utah Campus - Salt Lake City, UT
University of Phoenix-Utah Campus, 5373 S. Green Street, Salt Lake City, UT 84123-4617. University of Phoenix-Utah Campus is a small university located in Salt Lake City, Utah. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs and has 2,867 students. University of Phoenix-Utah Campus has a bachelor's degree program in Public Administration and Social Service Professions, Other Specialties which graduated sixteen students in 2008.
University of Utah - Salt Lake City, UT
University of Utah, 201 Presidents Circle, Salt Lake City, UT 84112-9008. University of Utah is a large university located in Salt Lake City, Utah. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 28,211 students and an admission rate of 81%. University of Utah has 2 areas of study related to Legislator. They are:
- Public Administration, postbaccalaureate certificate and master's degree which graduated zero and fifty-five students respectively in 2008.
- Public Policy Analysis, master's degree which graduated 1 student in 2008.
Brigham Young University - Provo, UT
Brigham Young University, Main Campus, Provo, UT 84602. Brigham Young University is a large university located in Provo, Utah. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 34,227 students and an admission rate of 69%. Brigham Young University has 2 areas of study related to Legislator. They are:
- Public Administration, master's degree which graduated 56 students in 2008.
- Public Policy Analysis, master's degree which graduated 7 students in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: West Valley City, Utah
West Valley City is situated in Salt Lake County, Utah. It has a population of over 123,447, which has grown by 13.4% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in West Valley City, 87, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in West Valley City are valued at $108,600 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, ninety-eight new homes were constructed in West Valley City, down from two hundred thirty-five the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in West Valley City are finance and insurance, health care, and educational services. For men, it is construction, accommodation and food services, and administrative and support and waste management services. The average travel time to work is about 23 minutes. More than 11.4% of West Valley City residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 2.8%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in West Valley City is 8.3%, which is greater than Utah's average of 6.3%.
The percentage of West Valley City residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 67.5%, is more than the national average but less than the state average. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, Atonement Lutheran Church and Saints Peter and Paul Catholic Church are some of the churches located in West Valley City. The most common religious groups are the LDS (Mormon) Church, the Catholic Church and the Southern Baptist Convention.
West Valley City is home to the Valley Indoor Market Place and the Mini Warehouse Condominium. Shopping malls in the area include Redwood Shopping Center, Valley Fair Mall and Granger Shopping Center.