Career and Education Opportunities for Market Survey Representatives in West Valley City, Utah
For those living in the West Valley City, Utah area, there are many career and education opportunities for market survey representatives. There are currently 740 jobs for market survey representatives in Utah and this is projected to grow by 29% to 950 jobs by 2016. This is not quite as good as the national trend for market survey representatives, which sees this job pool growing by about 30.4% over the next eight years. In general, market survey representatives design or conduct surveys.
The income of a market survey representative is about $9 hourly or $19,020 per year on average in Utah. In the U.S. as a whole, their income is about $17 per hour or $36,220 per year on average. Incomes for market survey representatives are not quite as good as in the overall category of Social Sciences in Utah, and not quite as good as the overall Social Sciences category nationally. People working as market survey representatives can fill a number of jobs, such as: research fellow, research associate, and survey statistician.
There are four schools within twenty-five miles of West Valley City where you can study to be a market survey representative, among thirty-three schools of higher education total in the West Valley City area. Market survey representatives usually hold a Bachelor's degree, so it will take about four years to learn to be a market survey representative if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Market Survey Representative
In general, market survey representatives design or conduct surveys. They also may supervise interviewers who conduct the survey in person or over the telephone.
Market survey representatives collaborate with other researchers in the planning and evaluation of surveys. They also ready and present summaries and analyses of survey data and fact sheets that describe survey techniques and results. Equally important, market survey representatives have to analyze data from surveys or case studies, using statistical software. They are often called upon to monitor and evaluate survey progress and performance, using sample disposition reports and response rate calculations. They are expected to conduct surveys and collect data, using methods such as interviews, questionnaires, focus groups, market analysis surveys, public opinion polls and file reviews. Finally, market survey representatives confer with clients to pinpoint survey needs and specific requirements.
Every day, market survey representatives are expected to be able to articulate ideas and problems. They need to write clearly and communicate well. It is also important that they read and understand documents and reports.
It is important for market survey representatives to decide on and specify specifics of survey projects, including sources of data, procedures to be used, and the layout of survey instruments and materials. They are often called upon to support and direct operations for single or multiple surveys. They also direct updates and changes in survey implementation and methods. They are sometimes expected to hire and train recruiters and data collectors. Somewhat less frequently, market survey representatives are also expected to write training manuals to be used by survey interviewers.
and produce documentation of data collection methods and decisions pertaining to sample statistical weighting. And finally, they sometimes have to write training manuals to be used by survey interviewers.
Like many other jobs, market survey representatives must be thorough and dependable and be able to work independently and make decisions on their own.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in West Valley City include:
- Archaeologist. Conduct research to reconstruct record of past human life and culture from human remains, artifacts, and structures recovered through excavation, underwater recovery, or other means of discovery.
- Economist. Conduct research, prepare reports, or formulate plans to aid in solution of economic problems arising from production and distribution of goods and services. May collect and process economic and statistical data using econometric and sampling techniques.
- Geographic Information Systems Analyst. Study nature and use of areas of earth's surface, relating and interpreting interactions of physical and cultural phenomena. Conduct research on physical aspects of a region, including land forms, climates, soils, plants and animals, and conduct research on the spatial implications of human activities within a given area, including social characteristics, economic activities, and political organization, as well as researching interdependence between regions at scales ranging from local to global.
- Historian. Research, analyze, and interpret the past as recorded in sources, such as government and institutional records, newspapers and other periodicals, photographs, and unpublished manuscripts, such as personal diaries and letters.
- Industrial Psychologist. Apply principles of psychology to personnel, administration, and marketing problems. Activities may include policy planning; employee screening, training and development; and organizational development and analysis. May work with management to reorganize the work setting to improve worker productivity.
- Market Research Analyst. Research market conditions in local, regional, or national areas to determine potential sales of a product or service. May gather information on competitors, prices, and methods of marketing and distribution. May use survey results to create a marketing campaign based on regional preferences and buying habits.
- School Psychologist. Investigate processes of learning and teaching and develop psychological principles and techniques applicable to educational problems.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Market Survey Representative Training
Salt Lake Community College - Salt Lake City, UT
Salt Lake Community College, 4600 S Redwood Rd, Salt Lake City, UT 84123. Salt Lake Community College is a large college located in Salt Lake City, Utah. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 29,539 students. Salt Lake Community College has an associate's degree program in Economics which graduated ten students in 2008.
University of Utah - Salt Lake City, UT
University of Utah, 201 Presidents Circle, Salt Lake City, UT 84112-9008. University of Utah is a large university located in Salt Lake City, Utah. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 28,211 students and an admission rate of 81%. University of Utah has bachelor's degree, master's degree, and doctor's degree programs in Economics which graduated 278, five, and thirteen students respectively in 2008.
Brigham Young University - Provo, UT
Brigham Young University, Main Campus, Provo, UT 84602. Brigham Young University is a large university located in Provo, Utah. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 34,227 students and an admission rate of 69%. Brigham Young University has a bachelor's degree program in Economics which graduated ten students in 2008.
Westminster College - Salt Lake City, UT
Westminster College, 1840 South 1300 East, Salt Lake City, UT 84105. Westminster College is a small college located in Salt Lake City, Utah. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 2,837 students and an admission rate of 81%. Westminster College has a bachelor's degree and a postbaccalaureate certificate program in Business/Managerial Economics which graduated six and zero students respectively in 2008.
Certified Forensic Interviewer: The objective of this certification program is to create comprehensive, universally accepted professional standards combined with an objective measure of an interviewer's knowledge of those standards.
For more information, see the Center for Interviewer Standards and Assessment Ltd. website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: West Valley City, Utah
West Valley City is situated in Salt Lake County, Utah. It has a population of over 123,447, which has grown by 13.4% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in West Valley City, 87, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in West Valley City are valued at $108,600 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, ninety-eight new homes were constructed in West Valley City, down from two hundred thirty-five the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in West Valley City are finance and insurance, health care, and educational services. For men, it is construction, accommodation and food services, and administrative and support and waste management services. The average travel time to work is about 23 minutes. More than 11.4% of West Valley City residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 2.8%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in West Valley City is 8.3%, which is greater than Utah's average of 6.3%.
The percentage of West Valley City residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 67.5%, is more than the national average but less than the state average. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, Atonement Lutheran Church and Saints Peter and Paul Catholic Church are some of the churches located in West Valley City. The most common religious groups are the LDS (Mormon) Church, the Catholic Church and the Southern Baptist Convention.
West Valley City is home to the Valley Indoor Market Place and the Mini Warehouse Condominium. Shopping malls in the area include Redwood Shopping Center, Valley Fair Mall and Granger Shopping Center.