Career and Education Opportunities for Adult Education Teachers in West Valley City, Utah
Adult education teachers can find both educational opportunities and jobs in the West Valley City, Utah area. About 820 people are currently employed as adult education teachers in Utah. By 2016, this is expected to grow 28% to about 1,050 people employed. This is better than the nation as a whole, where employment opportunities for adult education teachers are expected to grow by about 15.1%. Adult education teachers generally teach or instruct out-of-school youths and adults in remedial education classes, preparatory classes for the General Educational Development test, literacy, or English as a Second Language.
Adult education teachers earn approximately $20 hourly or $42,390 per year on average in Utah. Nationally they average about $22 hourly or $46,310 annually. Compared with people working in the overall category of Special Education, people working as adult education teachers in Utah earn more. They earn less than people working in the overall category of Special Education nationally. Adult education teachers work in a variety of jobs, including: remedial reading, math, or other subject teacher, adult school teacher, and esl teacher .
There are four schools within twenty-five miles of West Valley City where you can study to be an adult education teacher, among thirty-three schools of higher education total in the West Valley City area. Adult education teachers usually hold a Bachelor's degree, so you can expect to spend about four years training to become an adult education teacher if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Adult Education Teacher
In general, adult education teachers teach or instruct out-of-school youths and adults in remedial education classes, preparatory classes for the General Educational Development test, literacy, or English as a Second Language. They also teaching may or may not take place in a traditional educational institution.
Adult education teachers observe and evaluate students' work to establish progress and make suggestions for improvement. They also maintain accurate and complete student records as required by laws or administrative policies. Equally important, adult education teachers have to adapt teaching methods and instructional materials to meet students' varying needs and interests. They are often called upon to ready students for further education by encouraging them to explore learning opportunities and to persevere with challenging tasks. They are expected to attend professional meetings and workshops to maintain and improve professional competence. Finally, adult education teachers ready reports on students and efforts as required by administration.
Every day, adult education teachers are expected to be able to articulate ideas and problems. They need to listen to and understand others in meetings. It is also important that they speak clearly.
It is important for adult education teachers to ready and implement remedial programs for students requiring extra help. They are often called upon to register, orient, and assess new students in line with standards and procedures. They also get ready for assigned classes and show written evidence of preparation upon request of immediate supervisors. They are sometimes expected to furnish data and preparation for the General Equivalency Diploma (GED) examination. Somewhat less frequently, adult education teachers are also expected to formulate and supervise class projects, field trips, visits by guest speakers or other experiential efforts, and guide students in learning from those efforts.
Adult education teachers sometimes are asked to ready materials and classrooms for class efforts. They also have to be able to participate in publicity planning, community awareness efforts, and student recruitment and observe students to establish qualifications and other individual characteristics. And finally, they sometimes have to attend staff meetings and serve on committees, as required.
Like many other jobs, adult education teachers must have exceptional integrity and have a strong concern for others.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in West Valley City include:
- Graduate Research Assistant. Assist department chairperson, faculty members, or other professional staff members in college or university by performing teaching or teaching-related duties, such as teaching lower level courses, developing teaching materials, preparing and giving examinations, and grading examinations or papers. Graduate assistants must be enrolled in a graduate school program. Graduate assistants who primarily perform non-teaching duties, such as laboratory research, should be reported in the occupational category related to the work performed.
- High School Special Education Teacher. Teach secondary school subjects to educationally and physically handicapped students. Includes teachers who specialize and work with audibly and visually handicapped students and those who teach basic academic and life processes skills to the mentally impaired.
- Special Education Teacher. Teach middle school subjects to educationally and physically handicapped students. Includes teachers who specialize and work with audibly and visually handicapped students and those who teach basic academic and life processes skills to the mentally impaired.
- Special Needs Teacher. Teach elementary and preschool school subjects to educationally and physically handicapped students. Includes teachers who specialize and work with audibly and visually handicapped students and those who teach basic academic and life processes skills to the mentally impaired.
- Teaching Assistant. Perform duties that are instructional in nature or deliver direct services to students or parents. Serve in a position for which a teacher or another professional has ultimate responsibility for the design and implementation of educational programs and services.
- Vocational Instructor. Teach or instruct vocational or occupational subjects at the postsecondary level (but at less than the baccalaureate) to students who have graduated or left high school. Includes correspondence school instructors; industrial, commercial and government training instructors; and adult education teachers and instructors who prepare persons to operate industrial machinery and equipment and transportation and communications equipment. Teaching may take place in public or private schools whose primary business is education or in a school associated with an organization whose primary business is other than education.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Adult Education Teacher Training
Eagle Gate College - Salt Lake City, UT
Eagle Gate College, 405 South Main Street-Ste 130, Salt Lake City, UT 84111. Eagle Gate College is a small college located in Salt Lake City, Utah. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 2-year programs and has 130 students. Eagle Gate College has a one to two year program in Teaching English as a Second or Foreign Language/ESL Language Instructor which graduated twenty students in 2008.
Western Governors University - Salt Lake City, UT
Western Governors University, 4001 East 700 South, Suite 701, Salt Lake City, UT 84107. Western Governors University is a large university located in Salt Lake City, Utah. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 11,751 students and an admission rate of 37%. Western Governors University has a postbaccalaureate certificate and a master's degree program in Teaching English as a Second or Foreign Language/ESL Language Instructor which graduated eight and fifteen students respectively in 2008.
University of Utah - Salt Lake City, UT
University of Utah, 201 Presidents Circle, Salt Lake City, UT 84112-9008. University of Utah is a large university located in Salt Lake City, Utah. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 28,211 students and an admission rate of 81%. University of Utah has a postbaccalaureate certificate program in Teaching English as a Second or Foreign Language/ESL Language Instructor which graduated forty-one students in 2008.
Brigham Young University - Provo, UT
Brigham Young University, Main Campus, Provo, UT 84602. Brigham Young University is a large university located in Provo, Utah. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 34,227 students and an admission rate of 69%. Brigham Young University has 3 areas of study related to Adult Education Teacher. They are:
- Bilingual and Multilingual Education, doctor's degree which graduated 1 student in 2008.
- Teaching English as a Second or Foreign Language/ESL Language Instructor, postbaccalaureate certificate and master's degree which graduated twenty and twenty-seven students respectively in 2008.
- Teaching French as a Second or Foreign Language, master's degree which graduated 2 students in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: West Valley City, Utah
West Valley City is situated in Salt Lake County, Utah. It has a population of over 123,447, which has grown by 13.4% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in West Valley City, 87, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in West Valley City are valued at $108,600 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, ninety-eight new homes were constructed in West Valley City, down from two hundred thirty-five the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in West Valley City are finance and insurance, health care, and educational services. For men, it is construction, accommodation and food services, and administrative and support and waste management services. The average travel time to work is about 23 minutes. More than 11.4% of West Valley City residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 2.8%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in West Valley City is 8.3%, which is greater than Utah's average of 6.3%.
The percentage of West Valley City residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 67.5%, is more than the national average but less than the state average. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, Atonement Lutheran Church and Saints Peter and Paul Catholic Church are some of the churches located in West Valley City. The most common religious groups are the LDS (Mormon) Church, the Catholic Church and the Southern Baptist Convention.
West Valley City is home to the Valley Indoor Market Place and the Mini Warehouse Condominium. Shopping malls in the area include Redwood Shopping Center, Valley Fair Mall and Granger Shopping Center.