Career and Education Opportunities for Elementary School Teachers in West Valley City, Utah
West Valley City, Utah provides a wide variety of opportunities, both career and educational, for elementary school teachers. There are currently 11,620 jobs for elementary school teachers in Utah and this is projected to grow by 35% to about 15,670 jobs by 2016. This is better than the national trend for elementary school teachers, which sees this job pool growing by about 15.8% over the next eight years. In general, elementary school teachers teach pupils in public or private schools at the elementary level basic academic, social, and other formative skills.
The average wage in the general category of Primary and Secondary School Education jobs is $10 per hour or $41,658 per year in Utah, and an average of $11 per hour or $45,804 per year nationwide. Incomes for elementary school teachers are better than in the overall category of Primary and Secondary School Education in Utah, and better than the overall Primary and Secondary School Education category nationally. People working as elementary school teachers can fill a number of jobs, such as: gymnastic teacher, elementary teacher, and grades 1 through 6 teacher.
There are five schools within twenty-five miles of West Valley City where you can study to be an elementary school teacher, among thirty-three schools of higher education total in the West Valley City area. The most common level of education for elementary school teachers is a Bachelor's degree. It will take about four years to learn to be an elementary school teacher if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Elementary School Teacher
In general, elementary school teachers teach pupils in public or private schools at the elementary level basic academic, social, and other formative skills.
Elementary school teachers establish and enforce rules for behavior and methods for maintaining order among the students for whom they are responsible. They also attend staff meetings and serve on committees, as required. Equally important, elementary school teachers have to meet with other professionals to consider individual students' needs and progress. They are often called upon to observe and evaluate students' performance and physical health. They are expected to talk with parents or guardians and administrators to deal with students' behavioral and academic problems. Finally, elementary school teachers involve parent volunteers and older students in children's activities to enable involvement in focused, complex play.
Every day, elementary school teachers are expected to be able to articulate ideas and problems. They need to evaluate problems as they arise. It is also important that they listen to and understand others in meetings.
It is important for elementary school teachers to perform administrative duties such as assisting in school libraries, hall and cafeteria monitoring, and bus loading and unloading. They are often called upon to supervise and plan assignments for teacher assistants and volunteers. They also sponsor extracurricular efforts such as clubs and academic contests. They are sometimes expected to maintain accurate and complete student records as required by laws and administrative regulations. Somewhat less frequently, elementary school teachers are also expected to ready materials and classrooms for class efforts.
Elementary school teachers sometimes are asked to formulate and supervise class projects, field trips, visits by guest speakers or other experiential efforts, and guide students in learning from those efforts. They also have to be able to meet with parents and guardians to consider their children's progress and to establish priorities for their children and their resource needs and adapt teaching methods and instructional materials to meet students' varying needs and interests. And finally, they sometimes have to instruct students individually and in groups, using various teaching methods such as lectures and demonstrations.
Like many other jobs, elementary school teachers must have strong self control in the face of challenging situations and have a strong concern for others.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in West Valley City include:
- Agriculture Professor. Teach courses in the agricultural sciences. Includes teachers of agronomy, dairy sciences, and agricultural soil conservation.
- Curator. Administer affairs of museum and conduct research programs. Direct instructional, research, and public service activities of institution.
- English Professor. Teach courses in English language and literature, including linguistics and comparative literature.
- High School Teacher. Instruct students in secondary public or private schools in one or more subjects at the secondary level, such as English, mathematics, or social studies. May be designated according to subject matter specialty, such as typing instructors, commercial teachers, or English teachers.
- Instructional Systems Specialist. Develop instructional material, coordinate educational content, and incorporate current technology in specialized fields that provide guidelines to educators and instructors for developing curricula and conducting courses.
- Kindergarten Teacher. Teach elemental natural and social science, personal hygiene, and literature to children from 4 to 6 years old. Promote physical, mental, and social development. May be required to hold State certification.
- Middle School Teacher. Teach students in public or private schools in one or more subjects at the middle, intermediate, or junior high level, which falls between elementary and senior high school as defined by applicable State laws and regulations.
- Preschool Teacher. Instruct children (normally up to 5 years of age) in activities designed to promote social, physical, and intellectual growth needed for primary school in preschool, day care center, or other child development facility. May be required to hold State certification.
- Teaching Assistant. Perform duties that are instructional in nature or deliver direct services to students or parents. Serve in a position for which a teacher or another professional has ultimate responsibility for the design and implementation of educational programs and services.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Elementary School Teacher Training
University of Phoenix-Utah Campus - Salt Lake City, UT
University of Phoenix-Utah Campus, 5373 S. Green Street, Salt Lake City, UT 84123-4617. University of Phoenix-Utah Campus is a small university located in Salt Lake City, Utah. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs and has 2,867 students. University of Phoenix-Utah Campus has 2 areas of study related to Elementary School Teacher. They are:
- Elementary Education and Teaching, master's degree which graduated 47 students in 2008.
- Teacher Education, Multiple Levels, master's degree which graduated 25 students in 2008.
Western Governors University - Salt Lake City, UT
Western Governors University, 4001 East 700 South, Suite 701, Salt Lake City, UT 84107. Western Governors University is a large university located in Salt Lake City, Utah. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 11,751 students and an admission rate of 37%. Western Governors University has bachelor's degree, postbaccalaureate certificate, and master's degree programs in Teacher Education, Multiple Levels which graduated 311, 103, and twenty-two students respectively in 2008.
University of Utah - Salt Lake City, UT
University of Utah, 201 Presidents Circle, Salt Lake City, UT 84112-9008. University of Utah is a large university located in Salt Lake City, Utah. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 28,211 students and an admission rate of 81%. University of Utah has a bachelor's degree program in Elementary Education and Teaching which graduated forty-six students in 2008.
Brigham Young University - Provo, UT
Brigham Young University, Main Campus, Provo, UT 84602. Brigham Young University is a large university located in Provo, Utah. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 34,227 students and an admission rate of 69%. Brigham Young University has 2 areas of study related to Elementary School Teacher. They are:
- Elementary Education and Teaching, bachelor's degree which graduated 2 students in 2008.
- Teacher Education, Multiple Levels, master's degree which graduated 1 student in 2008.
Westminster College - Salt Lake City, UT
Westminster College, 1840 South 1300 East, Salt Lake City, UT 84105. Westminster College is a small college located in Salt Lake City, Utah. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 2,837 students and an admission rate of 81%. Westminster College has a bachelor's degree and a postbaccalaureate certificate program in Elementary Education and Teaching.
LOCATION INFORMATION: West Valley City, Utah
West Valley City is situated in Salt Lake County, Utah. It has a population of over 123,447, which has grown by 13.4% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in West Valley City, 87, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in West Valley City are valued at $108,600 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, ninety-eight new homes were constructed in West Valley City, down from two hundred thirty-five the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in West Valley City are finance and insurance, health care, and educational services. For men, it is construction, accommodation and food services, and administrative and support and waste management services. The average travel time to work is about 23 minutes. More than 11.4% of West Valley City residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 2.8%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in West Valley City is 8.3%, which is greater than Utah's average of 6.3%.
The percentage of West Valley City residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 67.5%, is more than the national average but less than the state average. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, Atonement Lutheran Church and Saints Peter and Paul Catholic Church are some of the churches located in West Valley City. The most common religious groups are the LDS (Mormon) Church, the Catholic Church and the Southern Baptist Convention.
West Valley City is home to the Valley Indoor Market Place and the Mini Warehouse Condominium. Shopping malls in the area include Redwood Shopping Center, Valley Fair Mall and Granger Shopping Center.