Career and Education Opportunities for Directors in West Valley City, Utah
Directors can find many career and educational opportunities in the West Valley City, Utah area. There are currently 810 jobs for directors in Utah and this is projected to grow 18% to 950 jobs by 2016. This is better than the nation as a whole, where employment opportunities for directors are expected to grow by about 9.8%. Directors generally interpret script, conduct rehearsals, and direct activities of cast and technical crew for stage, motion pictures, or radio programs.
A person working as a director can expect to earn about $26 hourly or $55,700 annually on average in Utah and about $30 hourly or $64,430 yearly on average in the U.S. as a whole. Directors earn the same as people working in the category of Theater, Film, and Television generally in Utah and the same as people in the Theater, Film, and Television category nationally. Directors work in a variety of jobs, including: television newscast director, dramatic director, and technical director.
There are two schools within twenty-five miles of West Valley City where you can study to be a director, among thirty-three schools of higher education total in the West Valley City area. Directors usually hold a Bachelor's degree, so you can expect to spend about four years studying to be a director if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Director
In general, directors interpret script, conduct rehearsals, and direct activities of cast and technical crew for stage, motion pictures, or radio programs.
Directors supervise and direct the work of camera and sound crewmembers. They also formulate details such as framing and actor movement for each shot or scene. Finally, directors talk with technical directors and writers to consider specifics of production, such as photography and costumes.
Every day, directors are expected to be able to be creative and generate new ideas. They need to articulate ideas and problems. It is also important that they listen to and understand others in meetings.
It is important for directors to cut and edit film or tape to integrate component parts into desired sequences. They are often called upon to study and research scripts to establish how they should be directed. They also direct live broadcasts, films and recordings, or non-broadcast programming for public entertainment or education. They are sometimes expected to identify and approve equipment and elements required for productions, such as scenery and music. Somewhat less frequently, directors are also expected to hold auditions for parts or negotiate contracts with actors determined suitable for specific roles, working in conjunction with producers.
Directors sometimes are asked to collaborate with film and sound editors during the post-production process as films are edited and soundtracks are added. They also have to be able to compile scripts and other material pertaining to productions and decide on plays or scripts for production, and decide on how material should be interpreted and performed. And finally, they sometimes have to decide on plays or scripts for production, and decide on how material should be interpreted and performed.
Like many other jobs, directors must be able to deal with stress and deal with situations calmly and be thorough and dependable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in West Valley City include:
- Actor. Play parts in stage, television, or motion picture productions for entertainment, information, or instruction. Interpret serious or comic role by speech, gesture, and body movement to entertain or inform audience. May dance and sing.
- Art Director. Formulate design concepts and presentation approaches, and direct workers engaged in art work, layout design, and copy writing for visual communications media, such as magazines, books, and packaging.
- Artistic Director. Audition and interview performers to select most appropriate talent for parts in stage, television, or motion picture productions.
- Choreographer. Create and teach dance. May direct and stage presentations.
- Graphic Designer. Design or create graphics to meet specific commercial or promotional needs, such as packaging, displays, or logos. May use a variety of mediums to achieve artistic or decorative effects.
- Musician. Play one or more musical instruments in recital, in accompaniment, or as members of an orchestra, band, or other musical group.
- Producer. Plan and coordinate various aspects of radio, television, or motion picture production, such as selecting script, coordinating writing, directing and editing, and arranging financing.
- Program Director. Direct and coordinate activities of personnel engaged in preparation of radio or television station program schedules and programs.
- Set and Exhibit Designer. Design special exhibits and movie, television, and theater sets. May study scripts, confer with directors, and conduct research to determine appropriate architectural styles.
- Technical Director. Coordinate activities of technical departments, such as taping, editing, and maintenance, to produce radio or television programs.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Director Training
University of Utah - Salt Lake City, UT
University of Utah, 201 Presidents Circle, Salt Lake City, UT 84112-9008. University of Utah is a large university located in Salt Lake City, Utah. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 28,211 students and an admission rate of 81%. University of Utah has 2 areas of study related to Director. They are:
- Drama and Dramatics/Theatre Arts, bachelor's degree, master's degree, and doctor's degree which graduated twenty-nine, zero, and zero students respectively in 2008.
- Film/Cinema Studies, bachelor's degree and master's degree which graduated sixty-six and three students respectively in 2008.
Brigham Young University - Provo, UT
Brigham Young University, Main Campus, Provo, UT 84602. Brigham Young University is a large university located in Provo, Utah. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 34,227 students and an admission rate of 69%. Brigham Young University has 2 areas of study related to Director. They are:
- Drama and Dramatics/Theatre Arts, bachelor's degree which graduated 39 students in 2008.
- Film/Cinema Studies, bachelor's degree and master's degree which graduated forty-three and six students respectively in 2008.
Program Management Professional: Project Management Institute's newest credential is specifically developed to acknowledge the qualifications of the professional who leads the coordinated management of multiple projects and ensures the ultimate success of a program.
For more information, see the Project Management Institute website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: West Valley City, Utah
West Valley City is situated in Salt Lake County, Utah. It has a population of over 123,447, which has grown by 13.4% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in West Valley City, 87, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in West Valley City are valued at $108,600 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, ninety-eight new homes were constructed in West Valley City, down from two hundred thirty-five the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in West Valley City are finance and insurance, health care, and educational services. For men, it is construction, accommodation and food services, and administrative and support and waste management services. The average travel time to work is about 23 minutes. More than 11.4% of West Valley City residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 2.8%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in West Valley City is 8.3%, which is greater than Utah's average of 6.3%.
The percentage of West Valley City residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 67.5%, is more than the national average but less than the state average. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, Atonement Lutheran Church and Saints Peter and Paul Catholic Church are some of the churches located in West Valley City. The most common religious groups are the LDS (Mormon) Church, the Catholic Church and the Southern Baptist Convention.
West Valley City is home to the Valley Indoor Market Place and the Mini Warehouse Condominium. Shopping malls in the area include Redwood Shopping Center, Valley Fair Mall and Granger Shopping Center.