Career and Education Opportunities for Fine Artists in West Valley City, Utah
Fine artist career and educational opportunities abound in West Valley City, Utah. The national trend for fine artists sees this job pool growing by about 9.0% over the next eight years. In general, fine artists create original artwork using any of a wide variety of mediums and techniques.
Fine artists earn approximately $15 per hour or $32,720 annually on average in Utah. Nationally they average about $20 hourly or $42,650 per year. Fine artists earn less than people working in the category of Art and Design generally in Utah and less than people in the Art and Design category nationally. Jobs in this field include: non-representational metal sculptor, concrete sculptor, and ice sculptor.
The West Valley City area is home to thirty-three schools of higher education, including three within twenty-five miles of West Valley City where you can get a degree as a fine artist. Fine artists usually hold a Bachelor's degree, so you can expect to spend about four years studying to be a fine artist if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Fine Artist
In general, fine artists create original artwork using any of a wide variety of mediums and techniques.
Fine artists talk with clients and other interested parties regarding the nature and content of artwork to be produced. They also study different techniques to learn how to apply them to artistic endeavors. Equally important, fine artists have to maintain portfolios of artistic work to exhibit styles and abilities. They are often called upon to submit preliminary or finished artwork or project plans to clients for approval, incorporating changes as needed. Finally, fine artists monitor events and other circumstances, research specific subject areas, attend art exhibitions, and read art publications in order to optimize concepts and keep current on art world efforts.
Every day, fine artists are expected to be able to distinguish between colors. They need to be creative and generate new ideas. It is also important that they visualize how things come together and can be organized.
It is important for fine artists to integrate and design visual elements, such as line and perspective, so as to produce desired effects such as the illustration of concepts or moods. They are often called upon to use materials such as pens and ink or computer software to generate artwork. They also cut and fasten individual or mixed raw and manufactured materials and products to fashion works of art. They are sometimes expected to develop finished art work as decoration, or to elucidate or substitute for spoken or written messages. Somewhat less frequently, fine artists are also expected to develop sketches or likenesses of posed subjects or photographs, using any combination of freehand drawing, mechanical assembly kits, and computer imaging.
Fine artists sometimes are asked to furnish entertainment at special events by performing efforts such as drawing cartoons. They also have to be able to model substances such as clay or wax, using fingers and small hand tools to fashion objects and shade and fill in sketch outlines and backgrounds, using a variety of media such as water colors and transparent washes, labeling designated colors when needed. And finally, they sometimes have to furnish entertainment at special events by performing efforts such as drawing cartoons.
Like many other jobs, fine artists must be thorough and dependable and be able to work independently and make decisions on their own.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in West Valley City include:
- Actor. Play parts in stage, television, or motion picture productions for entertainment, information, or instruction. Interpret serious or comic role by speech, gesture, and body movement to entertain or inform audience. May dance and sing.
- Art Director. Formulate design concepts and presentation approaches, and direct workers engaged in art work, layout design, and copy writing for visual communications media, such as magazines, books, and packaging.
- Craftsman. Create or reproduce hand-made objects for sale and exhibition using a variety of techniques, such as welding, weaving, and needlecraft.
- Display Specialist. Plan and erect commercial displays.
- Graphic Designer. Design or create graphics to meet specific commercial or promotional needs, such as packaging, displays, or logos. May use a variety of mediums to achieve artistic or decorative effects.
- Industrial Designer. Develop and design manufactured products, such as cars, home appliances, and children's toys. Combine artistic talent with research on product use, marketing, and materials to create the most functional and appealing product design.
- Interior Designer. Plan, design, and furnish interiors of residential, commercial, or industrial buildings. Formulate design which is practical, aesthetic, and conducive to intended purposes, such as raising productivity, selling merchandise, or improving life style. May specialize in a particular field, style, or phase of interior design.
- Multi-Media Artist or Animator. Create special effects, animation, or other visual images using film, video, or other electronic tools and media for use in products or creations, such as computer games, movies, and commercials.
- Music Composer. Write and transcribe musical scores.
- Set and Exhibit Designer. Design special exhibits and movie, television, and theater sets. May study scripts, confer with directors, and conduct research to determine appropriate architectural styles.
- Writer. Create original written works.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Fine Artist Training
University of Utah - Salt Lake City, UT
University of Utah, 201 Presidents Circle, Salt Lake City, UT 84112-9008. University of Utah is a large university located in Salt Lake City, Utah. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 28,211 students and an admission rate of 81%. University of Utah has 2 areas of study related to Fine Artist. They are:
- Visual and Performing Arts, bachelor's degree which graduated 5 students in 2008.
- Art/Art Studies, bachelor's degree and master's degree which graduated fifty-nine and seven students respectively in 2008.
Brigham Young University - Provo, UT
Brigham Young University, Main Campus, Provo, UT 84602. Brigham Young University is a large university located in Provo, Utah. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 34,227 students and an admission rate of 69%. Brigham Young University has 4 areas of study related to Fine Artist. They are:
- Art/Art Studies, bachelor's degree and master's degree which graduated twelve and one students respectively in 2008.
- Fine/Studio Arts, bachelor's degree and master's degree which graduated twenty-seven and six students respectively in 2008.
- Painting, bachelor's degree which graduated 1 student in 2008.
- Sculpture, master's degree which graduated 1 student in 2008.
Westminster College - Salt Lake City, UT
Westminster College, 1840 South 1300 East, Salt Lake City, UT 84105. Westminster College is a small college located in Salt Lake City, Utah. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 2,837 students and an admission rate of 81%. Westminster College has 2 areas of study related to Fine Artist. They are:
- Art/Art Studies, bachelor's degree.
- Fine/Studio Arts, bachelor's degree which graduated 9 students in 2008.
Certification of Medical Illustrators: The Board of Certification of Medical Illustrators administers a certification program for illustrators who seek a recognizable means of credentialing.
For more information, see the Association of Medical Illustrators website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: West Valley City, Utah
West Valley City is situated in Salt Lake County, Utah. It has a population of over 123,447, which has grown by 13.4% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in West Valley City, 87, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in West Valley City are valued at $108,600 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, ninety-eight new homes were constructed in West Valley City, down from two hundred thirty-five the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in West Valley City are finance and insurance, health care, and educational services. For men, it is construction, accommodation and food services, and administrative and support and waste management services. The average travel time to work is about 23 minutes. More than 11.4% of West Valley City residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 2.8%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in West Valley City is 8.3%, which is greater than Utah's average of 6.3%.
The percentage of West Valley City residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 67.5%, is more than the national average but less than the state average. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, Atonement Lutheran Church and Saints Peter and Paul Catholic Church are some of the churches located in West Valley City. The most common religious groups are the LDS (Mormon) Church, the Catholic Church and the Southern Baptist Convention.
West Valley City is home to the Valley Indoor Market Place and the Mini Warehouse Condominium. Shopping malls in the area include Redwood Shopping Center, Valley Fair Mall and Granger Shopping Center.