Career and Education Opportunities for Art Directors in West Valley City, Utah
Art director career and educational opportunities abound in West Valley City, Utah. About 730 people are currently employed as art directors in Utah. By 2016, this is expected to grow 23% to about 890 people employed. This is better than the national trend for art directors, which sees this job pool growing by about 11.7% over the next eight years. In general, art directors formulate design concepts and presentation approaches, and direct workers engaged in art work, layout design, and copy writing for visual communications media, such as magazines, books, and packaging.
Income for art directors is about $35 hourly or $73,420 per year on average in Utah. Nationally, their income is about $37 per hour or $76,980 annually. Incomes for art directors are better than in the overall category of Art and Design in Utah, and better than the overall Art and Design category nationally. Art directors work in a variety of jobs, including: advertising production manager, artistic director, and presentation specialist.
There are thirty-three schools of higher education in the West Valley City area, including six within twenty-five miles of West Valley City where you can get a degree to start your career as an art director. Given that the most common education level for art directors is an Associate's, or other 2-year degree, it will take about two years to learn to be an art director if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Art Director
In general, art directors formulate design concepts and presentation approaches, and direct workers engaged in art work, layout design, and copy writing for visual communications media, such as magazines, books, and packaging.
Art directors formulate basic layout designs and presentation approaches and specify material details, such as style and size of type. They also talk with creative or production department heads to consider client requirements and presentation concepts and to direct creative efforts. Equally important, art directors have to develop custom illustrations or other graphic elements. They are often called upon to inspect and approve art materials and proofs of printed copy developed by staff members. They are expected to inspect illustrative material to establish if it conforms to standards and specifications. Finally, art directors talk with clients to establish objectives and presentation approaches, styles, and techniques.
Every day, art directors are expected to be able to be creative and generate new ideas. They need to see details at a very fine level of focus.
It is important for art directors to mark up and complete layouts and write typography instructions to ready materials for typesetting or printing. They are often called upon to hire and direct staff members who develop layout concepts into art layouts or who ready layouts for printing. They also oversee own accounts and projects, working within budget and scheduling requirements. They are sometimes expected to attend photo shoots and printing sessions to insure that the products needed are obtained. Somewhat less frequently, art directors are also expected to ready detailed storyboards showing sequence and timing of story development for television production.
Art directors sometimes are asked to negotiate with printers and estimators to establish what services will be performed. and coordinate with creative directors to optimize layout solutions. And finally, they sometimes have to attend photo shoots and printing sessions to insure that the products needed are obtained.
Like many other jobs, art directors must be reliable and be thorough and dependable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in West Valley City include:
- Audio Visual Technician. Set up or set up and operate audio and video equipment including microphones, sound speakers, video screens, projectors, video monitors, recording equipment, connecting wires and cables, sound and mixing boards, and related electronic equipment for concerts, sports events, meetings and conventions, presentations, and news conferences. May also set up and operate associated spotlights and other custom lighting systems.
- Craftsman. Create or reproduce hand-made objects for sale and exhibition using a variety of techniques, such as welding, weaving, and needlecraft.
- Director. Interpret script, conduct rehearsals, and direct activities of cast and technical crew for stage, motion pictures, or radio programs.
- Display Specialist. Plan and erect commercial displays.
- Fine Artist. Create original artwork using any of a wide variety of mediums and techniques.
- Graphic Designer. Design or create graphics to meet specific commercial or promotional needs, such as packaging, displays, or logos. May use a variety of mediums to achieve artistic or decorative effects.
- Industrial Designer. Develop and design manufactured products, such as cars, home appliances, and children's toys. Combine artistic talent with research on product use, marketing, and materials to create the most functional and appealing product design.
- Interior Designer. Plan, design, and furnish interiors of residential, commercial, or industrial buildings. Formulate design which is practical, aesthetic, and conducive to intended purposes, such as raising productivity, selling merchandise, or improving life style. May specialize in a particular field, style, or phase of interior design.
- Multi-Media Artist or Animator. Create special effects, animation, or other visual images using film, video, or other electronic tools and media for use in products or creations, such as computer games, movies, and commercials.
- Music Composer. Write and transcribe musical scores.
- Music Director. Direct and conduct instrumental or vocal performances by musical groups.
- Public Relations Specialist. Engage in promoting or creating good will for individuals, groups, or organizations by writing or selecting favorable publicity material and releasing it through various communications media. May prepare and arrange displays, and make speeches.
- Set and Exhibit Designer. Design special exhibits and movie, television, and theater sets. May study scripts, confer with directors, and conduct research to determine appropriate architectural styles.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Art Director Training
The Art Institute of Salt Lake City - Draper, UT
The Art Institute of Salt Lake City, 121 W Election Rd - Ste 100, Draper, UT 84020. The Art Institute of Salt Lake City is a small school located in Draper, Utah. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 106 students and an admission rate of 39%. The Art Institute of Salt Lake City has a bachelor's degree program in Graphic Design.
Stevens-Henager College - Murray, UT
Stevens-Henager College, 383 W Vine St, Murray, UT 84123-5671. Stevens-Henager College is a small college located in Murray, Utah. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs and has 823 students. Stevens-Henager College has an associate's degree program in Graphic Design which graduated seven students in 2008.
University of Utah - Salt Lake City, UT
University of Utah, 201 Presidents Circle, Salt Lake City, UT 84112-9008. University of Utah is a large university located in Salt Lake City, Utah. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 28,211 students and an admission rate of 81%. University of Utah has a postbaccalaureate certificate and a post-master's certificate program in Graphic Design which graduated fourteen and zero students respectively in 2008.
ITT Technical Institute-Murray - Murray, UT
ITT Technical Institute-Murray, 920 W Levoy Dr, Murray, UT 84123. ITT Technical Institute-Murray is a small school located in Murray, Utah. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 741 students and an admission rate of 49%. ITT Technical Institute-Murray has a bachelor's degree program in Graphic Design.
Brigham Young University - Provo, UT
Brigham Young University, Main Campus, Provo, UT 84602. Brigham Young University is a large university located in Provo, Utah. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 34,227 students and an admission rate of 69%. Brigham Young University has a bachelor's degree program in Graphic Design which graduated ten students in 2008.
Eagle Gate College - Murray, UT
Eagle Gate College, 5588 South Green Street, Murray, UT 84123-6965. Eagle Gate College is a small college located in Murray, Utah. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs and has 349 students. Eagle Gate College has an associate's degree program in Graphic Design which graduated nineteen students in 2008.
Certified Graphic Communication Manager: The In-Plant Printing and Mailing Association's (IPMA) Certified Graphic Communications Manager (CGCM) designation was created in 1976 to establish a professional standard of proficiency for the in-house graphic arts and printing management profession.
For more information, see the International Publishing Management Association website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: West Valley City, Utah
West Valley City is situated in Salt Lake County, Utah. It has a population of over 123,447, which has grown by 13.4% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in West Valley City, 87, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in West Valley City are valued at $108,600 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, ninety-eight new homes were constructed in West Valley City, down from two hundred thirty-five the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in West Valley City are finance and insurance, health care, and educational services. For men, it is construction, accommodation and food services, and administrative and support and waste management services. The average travel time to work is about 23 minutes. More than 11.4% of West Valley City residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 2.8%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in West Valley City is 8.3%, which is greater than Utah's average of 6.3%.
The percentage of West Valley City residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 67.5%, is more than the national average but less than the state average. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, Atonement Lutheran Church and Saints Peter and Paul Catholic Church are some of the churches located in West Valley City. The most common religious groups are the LDS (Mormon) Church, the Catholic Church and the Southern Baptist Convention.
West Valley City is home to the Valley Indoor Market Place and the Mini Warehouse Condominium. Shopping malls in the area include Redwood Shopping Center, Valley Fair Mall and Granger Shopping Center.