Career and Education Opportunities for Medical Secretaries in Provo, Utah
Many educational and employment opportunities exist for medical secretaries in the Provo, Utah area. About 6,150 people are currently employed as medical secretaries in Utah. By 2016, this is expected to grow 36% to about 8,380 people employed. This is better than the national trend for medical secretaries, which sees this job pool growing by about 26.6% over the next eight years. Medical secretaries generally perform secretarial duties utilizing specific knowledge of medical terminology and hospital, clinic, or laboratory procedures.
Income for medical secretaries is about $12 hourly or $25,350 per year on average in Utah. Nationally, their income is about $14 per hour or $29,680 per year. Incomes for medical secretaries are not quite as good as in the overall category of Secretarial in Utah, and not quite as good as the overall Secretarial category nationally.
There are four schools within twenty-five miles of Provo where you can study to be a medical secretary, among thirty-five schools of higher education total in the Provo area. Medical secretaries usually hold a high school diploma or GED, so you can expect to spend only a short time training to become a medical secretary if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Medical Secretary
In general, medical secretaries perform secretarial duties utilizing specific knowledge of medical terminology and hospital, clinic, or laboratory procedures. They also duties include scheduling appointments, billing patients, and compiling and recording medical charts, reports, and correspondence.
Medical secretaries answer telephones, and direct calls to appropriate staff. They also greet visitors, ascertain purpose of visit, and direct them to appropriate staff. Equally important, medical secretaries have to transmit correspondence and medical archives by mail, e-mail, or fax. They are often called upon to operate office equipment such as voice mail messaging systems, and use word processing and other software applications to ready reports, invoices, financial statements, letters, case histories and medical archives. They are expected to receive and route messages and documents such as laboratory results to appropriate staff. Finally, medical secretaries schedule and confirm patient diagnostic appointments, surgeries and medical consultations.
Every day, medical secretaries are expected to be able to listen to and understand others in meetings. They need to understand what others are saying to them even in a noisy environment. It is also important that they articulate ideas and problems.
It is important for medical secretaries to interview patients to finish documents and forms such as intake and insurance forms. They are often called upon to perform various clerical and administrative functions. They also maintain medical archives, technical library and correspondence files. They are sometimes expected to compile and record medical charts and correspondence, using typewriter or personal computer. Somewhat less frequently, medical secretaries are also expected to maintain medical archives, technical library and correspondence files.
and arrange hospital admissions for patients. And finally, they sometimes have to complete insurance and other claim forms.
Like many other jobs, medical secretaries must have exceptional integrity and be reliable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Provo include:
- Administrative Assistant. Provide high-level administrative support by conducting research, preparing statistical reports, handling information requests, and performing clerical functions such as preparing correspondence, receiving visitors, arranging conference calls, and scheduling meetings. May also train and supervise lower-level clerical staff.
- Correspondence Clerk. Compose letters in reply to requests for merchandise, damage claims, credit and other information, delinquent accounts, or unsatisfactory services. Duties may include gathering data to formulate reply and typing correspondence.
- File Clerk. File correspondence, cards, and other records in alphabetical or numerical order or according to the filing system used. Locate and remove material from file when requested.
- Insurance Claims Processor. Obtain information from insured or designated persons for purpose of settling claim with insurance carrier.
- Legal Secretary. Perform secretarial duties utilizing legal terminology, procedures, and documents. Prepare legal papers and correspondence, such as summonses, complaints, and subpoenas. May also assist with legal research.
- Office Machine Operator. Operate one or more of a variety of office machines, such as photocopying, photographic, and duplicating machines, or other office machines.
- Procurement Clerk. Compile information and records to draw up purchase orders for procurement of materials and services.
- Secretary. Perform routine clerical and administrative functions such as drafting correspondence, scheduling appointments, organizing and maintaining paper and electronic files, or providing information to callers.
- Statement Clerk. Prepare and distribute bank statements to customers, answer inquiries, and reconcile discrepancies in records and accounts.
- Typist. Type letters, reports, or other material from rough draft, corrected copy, or voice recording. May perform other clerical duties as assigned.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Medical Secretary Training
Everest College-West Valley City - West Valley City, UT
Everest College-West Valley City, 3280 W 3500 S, West Valley City, UT 84119-2632. Everest College-West Valley City is a small college located in West Valley City, Utah. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 161 students and an admission rate of 75%. Everest College-West Valley City has a less than one year program in Medical Insurance Specialist/Medical Biller which graduated twenty-eight students in 2008.
Mountainland Applied Technology College - Orem, UT
Mountainland Applied Technology College, 987 S Geneva Rd, Orem, UT 84058-5857. Mountainland Applied Technology College is a small college located in Orem, Utah. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 310 students. Mountainland Applied Technology College has a less than one year and a one to two year program in Medical Administrative/Executive Assistant & Medical Secretary which graduated five and zero students respectively in 2008.
Vista College - Salt Lake City, UT
Vista College, 1385 West 2200 South, Salt Lake City, UT 84119. Vista College is a small college located in Salt Lake City, Utah. It is a private for-profit school with primarily less-than 2-year programs. It has 54 students and an admission rate of 100%. Vista College has a less than one year program in Medical Office Assistant/Specialist which graduated eight students in 2008.
Salt Lake Community College - Salt Lake City, UT
Salt Lake Community College, 4600 S Redwood Rd, Salt Lake City, UT 84123. Salt Lake Community College is a large college located in Salt Lake City, Utah. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 29,539 students. Salt Lake Community College has 2 areas of study related to Medical Secretary. They are:
- Medical Insurance Specialist/Medical Biller, less than one year which graduated 37 students in 2008.
- Medical Administrative/Executive Assistant & Medical Secretary, one to two year which graduated 10 students in 2008.
Certified Patient Account Manager: American Association of Healthcare Administrative Management (AAHAM) CPAM certification is available only to National AAHAM members who are in good standing and have a minimum of four years health care experience, or two years health care experience and a two-year college or university associates degree.
For more information, see the American Association of Healthcare Administrative Management website.
Certified Coding Specialist: Coding accuracy is highly important to healthcare organizations, and has an impact on revenues and describing health outcomes.
For more information, see the American Health Information Management Association website.
Registered Health Information Technician: With experience, the RHIT credential holds solid potential for advancement to management positions, especially when combined with a bachelor's degree.
For more information, see the American Health Information Management Association website.
Certified Medical Administrative Specialist: This certification is for medical administrative specialists who serves a key role in medical office, clinic and hospital settings.
For more information, see the American Medical Technologists website.
Certified Medical Coder: Experienced medical office professionals with exceptional coding skills are eligible to sit for the Certified Medical Coder (CMC) exam.
For more information, see the Practice Management Institute website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Provo, Utah
Provo is situated in Utah County, Utah. It has a population of over 118,581, which has grown by 12.8% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Provo, 92, is below the national average. New single-family homes in Provo cost $296,100 on average, which is far greater than the state average. In 2008, fifty-seven new homes were built in Provo, down from one hundred eighty-one the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Provo are educational services, health care, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is educational services, construction, and professional, scientific, and technical services. The average commute to work is about 16 minutes. More than 35.7% of Provo residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 10.9%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Provo is 6.4%, which is greater than Utah's average of 6.3%.
The percentage of Provo residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 89.9%, is more than both the national and state average. Kingdom Hall of Jehovahs Witnesses, Seventh Day Adventist Church and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints are all churches located in Provo. The most prominent religious groups are the LDS (Mormon) Church, the Catholic Church and the Assemblies of God.
Provo is home to the Provo Temple and the Lakeside Campground as well as Utah Lake State Park and Cougar Stadium. Visitors to Provo can choose from Amenity Motor Inn, Hines Mansion Bed & Breakfast and Travelodge for temporary stays in the area.