Career and Education Opportunities for Interviewers in Provo, Utah
Interviewer career and educational opportunities abound in Provo, Utah. There are currently 2,610 jobs for interviewers in Utah and this is projected to grow by 13% to 2,960 jobs by 2016. This is not quite as good as the national trend for interviewers, which sees this job pool growing by about 15.6% over the next eight years. Interviewers generally interview persons by telephone, mail, or by other means for the purpose of completing forms, applications, or questionnaires.
The income of an interviewer is about $11 hourly or $23,210 yearly on average in Utah. In the U.S. as a whole, their income is about $13 per hour or $28,140 yearly on average. Incomes for interviewers are not quite as good as in the overall category of Credit Authorization in Utah, and not quite as good as the overall Credit Authorization category nationally.
The Provo area is home to thirty-five schools of higher education, including one within twenty-five miles of Provo where you can get a degree as an interviewer. The most common level of education for interviewers is a high school diploma or GED. You can expect to spend only a short time training to become an interviewer if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Interviewer
In general, interviewers interview persons by telephone, mail, or by other means for the purpose of completing forms, applications, or questionnaires. They also ask specific questions, record answers, and assist persons with completing form.
Every day, interviewers are expected to be able to speak clearly. They need to articulate ideas and problems. It is also important that they listen to and understand others in meetings.
It is important for interviewers to identify and report problems in obtaining valid data. They are often called upon to compile, record and code results and data from interview or survey, using computer or specified form. They also contact individuals to be interviewed at home, place of business, or field location, by telephone or in person. They are sometimes expected to meet with supervisor daily to submit completed assignments and consider progress. Somewhat less frequently, interviewers are also expected to identify and resolve inconsistencies in interviewees' responses by means of appropriate questioning or explanation.
Interviewers sometimes are asked to supervise or train others, and maintain staff archives. They also have to be able to perform other office duties as needed And finally, they sometimes have to ready reports to furnish answers in response to specific problems.
Like many other jobs, interviewers must have exceptional integrity and be reliable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Provo include:
- Correspondence Clerk. Compose letters in reply to requests for merchandise, damage claims, credit and other information, delinquent accounts, or unsatisfactory services. Duties may include gathering data to formulate reply and typing correspondence.
- Customer Care Specialist. Interact with customers to provide information in response to inquiries about products and services and to handle and resolve complaints.
- Human Resources Administrator. Compile and keep personnel records. Record data for each employee, such as address, weekly earnings, absences, amount of sales or production, supervisory reports on ability, and date of and reason for termination. Compile and type reports from employment records. File employment records. Search employee files and furnish information to authorized persons.
- License Clerk. Issue licenses or permits to qualified applicants. Obtain necessary information; record data; advise applicants on requirements; collect fees; and issue licenses. May conduct oral, written, or performance testing.
- Procurement Clerk. Compile information and records to draw up purchase orders for procurement of materials and services.
- Telephone Operator. Provide information by accessing alphabetical and geographical directories. Assist customers with special billing requests.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Interviewer Training
Salt Lake Community College - Salt Lake City, UT
Salt Lake Community College, 4600 S Redwood Rd, Salt Lake City, UT 84123. Salt Lake Community College is a large college located in Salt Lake City, Utah. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 29,539 students. Salt Lake Community College has a less than one year program in Receptionist which graduated thirteen students in 2008.
Certified Forensic Interviewer: The objective of this certification program is to create comprehensive, universally accepted professional standards combined with an objective measure of an interviewer's knowledge of those standards.
For more information, see the Center for Interviewer Standards and Assessment Ltd. website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Provo, Utah
Provo is situated in Utah County, Utah. It has a population of over 118,581, which has grown by 12.8% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Provo, 92, is below the national average. New single-family homes in Provo cost $296,100 on average, which is far greater than the state average. In 2008, fifty-seven new homes were built in Provo, down from one hundred eighty-one the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Provo are educational services, health care, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is educational services, construction, and professional, scientific, and technical services. The average commute to work is about 16 minutes. More than 35.7% of Provo residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 10.9%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Provo is 6.4%, which is greater than Utah's average of 6.3%.
The percentage of Provo residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 89.9%, is more than both the national and state average. Kingdom Hall of Jehovahs Witnesses, Seventh Day Adventist Church and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints are all churches located in Provo. The most prominent religious groups are the LDS (Mormon) Church, the Catholic Church and the Assemblies of God.
Provo is home to the Provo Temple and the Lakeside Campground as well as Utah Lake State Park and Cougar Stadium. Visitors to Provo can choose from Amenity Motor Inn, Hines Mansion Bed & Breakfast and Travelodge for temporary stays in the area.