Career and Education Opportunities for Income Tax Advisors in Provo, Utah
Income tax advisors can find both educational opportunities and jobs in the Provo, Utah area. The national trend for income tax advisors sees this job pool growing by about 2.9% over the next eight years. In general, income tax advisors prepare tax returns for individuals or small businesses but do not have the background or responsibilities of an accredited or certified public accountant.
The income of an income tax advisor is about $17 per hour or $37,160 annually on average in Utah. In the U.S. as a whole, their income is about $14 hourly or $29,420 annually on average. Income tax advisors earn less than people working in the category of Accounting and Auditing generally in Utah and less than people in the Accounting and Auditing category nationally. Income tax advisors work in a variety of jobs, including: income tax consultant, tax specialist, and tax evaluator.
There are three schools within twenty-five miles of Provo where you can study to be an income tax advisor, among thirty-five schools of higher education total in the Provo area. Given that the most common education level for income tax advisors is a high school diploma or GED, you can expect to spend only a short time training to become an income tax advisor if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Income Tax Advisor
In general, income tax advisors prepare tax returns for individuals or small businesses but do not have the background or responsibilities of an accredited or certified public accountant.
Income tax advisors ready or help in preparing simple to complex tax returns for individuals or small businesses. They also use all appropriate adjustments and credits to keep clients' taxes to a minimum. Equally important, income tax advisors have to inspect financial records such as income statements and documentation of expenditures to establish forms needed to ready tax returns. They are often called upon to consult tax law handbooks or bulletins to establish processes for preparation of atypical returns. They are expected to compute taxes owed or overpaid, using computers and complete entries on forms, following tax form instructions and tax tables. Finally, income tax advisors furnish taxpayers with sufficient data and advice to insure correct tax form completion.
Every day, income tax advisors are expected to be able to see details at a very fine level of focus. They need to read and understand documents and reports. It is also important that they deal with basic arithmetic problems.
It is important for income tax advisors to check data input or verify totals on forms prepared by others to uncover errors in arithmetic or procedures. Somewhat less frequently, income tax advisors are also expected to calculate form preparation fees in line with return complexity and processing time required.
They also have to be able to interview clients to obtain additional data on taxable income and deductible expenses and allowances And finally, they sometimes have to inspect financial records such as income statements and documentation of expenditures to establish forms needed to ready tax returns.
Like many other jobs, income tax advisors must have exceptional integrity and be thorough and dependable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Provo include:
- Accountant. Analyze financial information and prepare financial reports to determine or maintain records of assets, liabilities, profit and loss, tax liability, or other financial activities within an organization.
- Auditor. Examine and analyze accounting records to determine financial status of establishment and prepare financial reports concerning operating procedures.
- Budget Analyst. Examine budget estimates for completeness, accuracy, and conformance with procedures and regulations. Analyze budgeting and accounting reports for the purpose of maintaining expenditure controls.
- Cost Analyst. Prepare cost estimates for product manufacturing, construction projects, or services to aid management in bidding on or determining price of product or service. May specialize according to particular service performed or type of product manufactured.
- Credit Analyst. Analyze current credit data and financial statements of individuals or firms to determine the degree of risk involved in extending credit or lending money. Prepare reports with this credit information for use in decision-making.
- Financial Analyst. Conduct quantitative analyses of information affecting investment programs of public or private institutions.
- Financial Examiner. Enforce or ensure compliance with laws and regulations governing financial and securities institutions and financial and real estate transactions. May examine, verify correctness of, or establish authenticity of records.
- Loan Officer. Evaluate, authorize, or recommend approval of commercial, real estate, or credit loans. Advise borrowers on financial status and methods of payments. Includes mortgage loan officers and agents, collection analysts, loan servicing officers, and loan underwriters.
- Personal Financial Planner. Advise clients on financial plans utilizing knowledge of tax and investment strategies, securities, and real estate. Duties include assessing clients' assets, liabilities, and financial objectives to establish investment strategies.
- Tax Examiner. Determine tax liability or collect taxes from individuals or business firms according to prescribed laws and regulations.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Income Tax Advisor Training
Salt Lake Community College - Salt Lake City, UT
Salt Lake Community College, 4600 S Redwood Rd, Salt Lake City, UT 84123. Salt Lake Community College is a large college located in Salt Lake City, Utah. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 29,539 students. Salt Lake Community College has less than one year, one to two year, and associate's degree programs in Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping which graduated eighteen, seven, and eleven students respectively in 2008.
Provo College - Provo, UT
Provo College, 1450 W 820 N, Provo, UT 84601. Provo College is a small college located in Provo, Utah. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 2-year programs and has 250 students. Provo College has an associate's degree program in Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping which graduated twelve students in 2008.
Utah Career CollegeOrem Campus - Orem, UT
Utah Career CollegeOrem Campus, 898 N 1200 W, Orem, UT 84057. Utah Career CollegeOrem Campus is a small college located in Orem, Utah. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs and has 37 students. Utah Career CollegeOrem Campus has an associate's degree program in Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping.
Accredited Tax Advisor: This credential is for practitioners who handle sophisticated tax planning issues, including ownership of closely held businesses, qualified retirement plans and complex estates.
For more information, see the Accreditation Council for Accountancy and Taxation website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Provo, Utah
Provo is situated in Utah County, Utah. It has a population of over 118,581, which has grown by 12.8% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Provo, 92, is below the national average. New single-family homes in Provo cost $296,100 on average, which is far greater than the state average. In 2008, fifty-seven new homes were built in Provo, down from one hundred eighty-one the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Provo are educational services, health care, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is educational services, construction, and professional, scientific, and technical services. The average commute to work is about 16 minutes. More than 35.7% of Provo residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 10.9%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Provo is 6.4%, which is greater than Utah's average of 6.3%.
The percentage of Provo residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 89.9%, is more than both the national and state average. Kingdom Hall of Jehovahs Witnesses, Seventh Day Adventist Church and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints are all churches located in Provo. The most prominent religious groups are the LDS (Mormon) Church, the Catholic Church and the Assemblies of God.
Provo is home to the Provo Temple and the Lakeside Campground as well as Utah Lake State Park and Cougar Stadium. Visitors to Provo can choose from Amenity Motor Inn, Hines Mansion Bed & Breakfast and Travelodge for temporary stays in the area.