Career and Education Opportunities for Legislators in Waco, Texas
Many educational and employment opportunities exist for legislators in the Waco, Texas area. There are currently 1,820 jobs for legislators in Texas and this is projected to grow 9% to about 1,990 jobs by 2016. This is better than the national trend for legislators, which sees this job pool growing by about 0.7% over the next eight years. Legislators generally develop laws and statutes at the Federal, State, or local level.
The average wage in the general category of Specialized Management jobs is $37 per hour or $70,700 per year in Texas, and an average of $39 per hour or $74,363 per year nationwide. Incomes for legislators are not quite as good as in the overall category of Specialized Management in Texas, and not quite as good as the overall Specialized Management category nationally. Legislators work in a variety of jobs, including: congressman, councilperson, and tribal delegate.
The Waco area is home to seven schools of higher education, including one within twenty-five miles of Waco where you can get a degree as a legislator.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Legislator
In general, legislators develop laws and statutes at the Federal, State, or local level.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Waco include:
- Construction Foreman. Plan, direct, or budget, usually through subordinate supervisory personnel, activities concerned with the construction and maintenance of structures, facilities, and systems. Participate in the conceptual development of a construction project and oversee its organization, scheduling, and implementation.
- Garden Center Manager. Plan, organize, direct, and coordinate activities of workers engaged in propagating, cultivating, and harvesting horticultural specialties, such as trees, shrubs, and other plants.
- Natural Resources Specialist. Plan, direct, or coordinate activities in such fields as life sciences, physical sciences, and research and development in these fields.
- Property Manager. Plan, direct, or coordinate selling, buying, or governance activities of commercial, industrial, or residential real estate properties.
- Social Service Coordinator. Plan, organize, or coordinate the activities of a social service program or community outreach organization. Oversee the program or organization's budget and policies regarding participant involvement, program requirements, and benefits. Work may involve directing social workers, counselors, or probation officers.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Legislator Training
Baylor University - Waco, TX
Baylor University, 500 Speight Ave., Waco, TX 76798. Baylor University is a large university located in Waco, Texas. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 14,541 students and an admission rate of 51%. Baylor University has a bachelor's degree and a master's degree program in Public Administration which graduated one and one students respectively in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Waco, Texas
Waco is situated in Mclennan County, Texas. It has a population of over 124,009, which has grown by 9.0% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Waco, 82, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in Waco are valued at $144,900 on average, which is well below the state average. In 2008, three hundred eighty-eight new homes were built in Waco, down from five hundred fifty the previous year.
The top three industries for women in Waco are educational services, health care, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is construction, educational services, and accommodation and food services. The average commute to work is about 18 minutes. More than 18.6% of Waco residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 7.4%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Waco is 7.4%, which is less than Texas's average of 8.1%.
The percentage of Waco residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 60.5%, is more than both the national and state average. El Calvario Presbyterian Church, Abundant New Life Assembly of God Church and Adams Chapel African Methodist Episcopal Church are among the churches located in Waco. The most prominent religious groups are the Southern Baptist Convention, the Catholic Church and the United Methodist Church.
Waco is home to the Helen Marie Taylor Museum and the Potts Interchange as well as Heart O Texas Coliseum and Kathy Ball Park. Shopping malls in the area include Lake Air Shopping Center and Richland Shopping Center. Visitors to Waco can choose from Budget Inn, America's Best Inns and Best Western Old Main Lodge for temporary stays in the area.