Career and Education Opportunities for Multi-Media Artist or Animators in Waco, Texas
If you want to be a multi-media artist or animator, the Waco, Texas area offers many opportunities both for education and employment. Currently, 7,020 people work as multi-media artist or animators in Texas. This is expected to grow 31% to about 9,220 people by 2016. This is better than the nation as a whole, where employment opportunities for multi-media artist or animators are expected to grow by about 14.2%. Multi-media artist or animators generally create special effects, animation, or other visual images using film, video, or other electronic tools and media for use in products or creations, such as computer games, movies, and commercials.
Multi-media artist or animators earn about $23 per hour or $48,840 per year on average in Texas and about $27 per hour or $56,330 yearly on average nationally. Earnings for multi-media artist or animators are better than earnings in the general category of Art and Design in Texas and better than general Art and Design category earnings nationally. People working as multi-media artist or animators can fill a number of jobs, such as: motion pictures cartoonist, anime artist, and artist.
There are seven schools of higher education in the Waco area, including one within twenty-five miles of Waco where you can get a degree to start your career as a multi-media artist or animator. Given that the most common education level for multi-media artist or animators is a Bachelor's degree, it will take about four years to learn to be a multi-media artist or animator if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Multi-Media Artist or Animator
In general, multi-media artist or animators create special effects, animation, or other visual images using film, video, or other electronic tools and media for use in products or creations, such as computer games, movies, and commercials.
Every day, multi-media artist or animators are expected to be able to be creative and generate new ideas. They need to visualize how things come together and can be organized. It is also important that they listen to and understand others in meetings.
It is important for multi-media artist or animators to layout complex graphics and animation, using independent judgment and computer equipment. They are often called upon to make objects or characters appear lifelike by manipulating light and transparency, or manipulating static images to give the illusion of motion. They also develop pen-and-paper images to be scanned, edited, colored, textured or animated by computer. They are sometimes expected to develop basic designs and illustrations for product labels or television. Somewhat less frequently, multi-media artist or animators are also expected to use models to simulate the behavior of animated objects in the finished sequence.
Multi-media artist or animators sometimes are asked to develop and install special effects as required by the script, mixing chemicals and fabricating needed parts from wood and clay. and implement and maintain configuration control systems. And finally, they sometimes have to implement and maintain configuration control systems.
Like many other jobs, multi-media artist or animators must be thorough and dependable and be reliable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Waco include:
- Craftsman. Create or reproduce hand-made objects for sale and exhibition using a variety of techniques, such as welding, weaving, and needlecraft.
- Display Specialist. Plan and erect commercial displays.
- Fashion Designer. Design clothing and accessories. Create original garments or design garments that follow well established fashion trends. May develop the line of color and kinds of materials.
- Fine Artist. Create original artwork using any of a wide variety of mediums and techniques.
- Graphic Designer. Design or create graphics to meet specific commercial or promotional needs, such as packaging, displays, or logos. May use a variety of mediums to achieve artistic or decorative effects.
- Industrial Designer. Develop and design manufactured products, such as cars, home appliances, and children's toys. Combine artistic talent with research on product use, marketing, and materials to create the most functional and appealing product design.
- Interior Designer. Plan, design, and furnish interiors of residential, commercial, or industrial buildings. Formulate design which is practical, aesthetic, and conducive to intended purposes, such as raising productivity, selling merchandise, or improving life style. May specialize in a particular field, style, or phase of interior design.
- Set and Exhibit Designer. Design special exhibits and movie, television, and theater sets. May study scripts, confer with directors, and conduct research to determine appropriate architectural styles.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Multi-Media Artist or Animator Training
Texas State Technical College Waco - Waco, TX
Texas State Technical College Waco, 3801 Campus Dr, Waco, TX 76705. Texas State Technical College Waco is a medium sized college located in Waco, Texas. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 4,376 students. Texas State Technical College Waco has 2 areas of study related to Multi-Media Artist or Animator. They are:
- Animation, Interactive Technology, Video Graphics & Special Effects, associate's degree.
- Web Page, Digital/Multimedia & Information Resources Design, one to two year and associate's degree which graduated zero and thirty-three students respectively in 2008.
Certified Web Professional - Site Designer: A CWP Site Designer implements and maintains Web sites using authoring and scripting languages, content creation and management tools, and digital media.
For more information, see the International Webmasters Association website.
Web Graphics and Multimedia Certificate: Equips the student for work as a Web graphic artist, creating illustrations, pictures, buttons, and other images for use on the Web, as well as the ability to create interactive multimedia designs in Flash or other programs.
For more information, see the International Webmasters Association website.
Certified Web Designer Associate: Web Designer Associates are proficient in the visual arts and creating the images and designs that capture and keep visitors' interest.
For more information, see the World Organization of Webmasters website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Waco, Texas
Waco is situated in Mclennan County, Texas. It has a population of over 124,009, which has grown by 9.0% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Waco, 82, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in Waco are valued at $144,900 on average, which is well below the state average. In 2008, three hundred eighty-eight new homes were built in Waco, down from five hundred fifty the previous year.
The top three industries for women in Waco are educational services, health care, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is construction, educational services, and accommodation and food services. The average commute to work is about 18 minutes. More than 18.6% of Waco residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 7.4%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Waco is 7.4%, which is less than Texas's average of 8.1%.
The percentage of Waco residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 60.5%, is more than both the national and state average. El Calvario Presbyterian Church, Abundant New Life Assembly of God Church and Adams Chapel African Methodist Episcopal Church are among the churches located in Waco. The most prominent religious groups are the Southern Baptist Convention, the Catholic Church and the United Methodist Church.
Waco is home to the Helen Marie Taylor Museum and the Potts Interchange as well as Heart O Texas Coliseum and Kathy Ball Park. Shopping malls in the area include Lake Air Shopping Center and Richland Shopping Center. Visitors to Waco can choose from Budget Inn, America's Best Inns and Best Western Old Main Lodge for temporary stays in the area.