Career and Education Opportunities for Market Survey Representatives in San Antonio, Texas
Market survey representative career and educational opportunities abound in San Antonio, Texas. Currently, 670 people work as market survey representatives in Texas. This is expected to grow 17% to 780 people by 2016. This is not quite as good as the nation as a whole, where employment opportunities for market survey representatives are expected to grow by about 30.4%. In general, market survey representatives design or conduct surveys.
A person working as a market survey representative can expect to earn about $13 hourly or $28,930 annually on average in Texas and about $17 hourly or $36,220 annually on average in the U.S. as a whole. Incomes for market survey representatives are not quite as good as in the overall category of Social Sciences in Texas, and not quite as good as the overall Social Sciences category nationally. Jobs in this field include: telephone interviewer, research assistant, and field interviewer.
The San Antonio area is home to forty schools of higher education, including eight within twenty-five miles of San Antonio where you can get a degree as a market survey representative. The most common level of education for market survey representatives is a Bachelor's degree. You can expect to spend about four years training to become a market survey representative if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Market Survey Representative
In general, market survey representatives design or conduct surveys. They also may supervise interviewers who conduct the survey in person or over the telephone.
Market survey representatives collaborate with other researchers in the planning and evaluation of surveys. They also ready and present summaries and analyses of survey data and fact sheets that describe survey techniques and results. Equally important, market survey representatives have to analyze data from surveys or case studies, using statistical software. They are often called upon to monitor and evaluate survey progress and performance, using sample disposition reports and response rate calculations. They are expected to conduct surveys and collect data, using methods such as interviews, questionnaires, focus groups, market analysis surveys, public opinion polls and file reviews. Finally, market survey representatives confer with clients to pinpoint survey needs and specific requirements.
Every day, market survey representatives are expected to be able to articulate ideas and problems. They need to write clearly and communicate well. It is also important that they read and understand documents and reports.
It is important for market survey representatives to decide on and specify specifics of survey projects, including sources of data, procedures to be used, and the layout of survey instruments and materials. They are often called upon to support and direct operations for single or multiple surveys. They also direct updates and changes in survey implementation and methods. They are sometimes expected to hire and train recruiters and data collectors. Somewhat less frequently, market survey representatives are also expected to write training manuals to be used by survey interviewers.
and produce documentation of data collection methods and decisions pertaining to sample statistical weighting. And finally, they sometimes have to write training manuals to be used by survey interviewers.
Like many other jobs, market survey representatives must be thorough and dependable and be able to work independently and make decisions on their own.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in San Antonio include:
- Economist. Conduct research, prepare reports, or formulate plans to aid in solution of economic problems arising from production and distribution of goods and services. May collect and process economic and statistical data using econometric and sampling techniques.
- Geographic Information Systems Analyst. Study nature and use of areas of earth's surface, relating and interpreting interactions of physical and cultural phenomena. Conduct research on physical aspects of a region, including land forms, climates, soils, plants and animals, and conduct research on the spatial implications of human activities within a given area, including social characteristics, economic activities, and political organization, as well as researching interdependence between regions at scales ranging from local to global.
- Historian. Research, analyze, and interpret the past as recorded in sources, such as government and institutional records, newspapers and other periodicals, photographs, and unpublished manuscripts, such as personal diaries and letters.
- Industrial Psychologist. Apply principles of psychology to personnel, administration, and marketing problems. Activities may include policy planning; employee screening, training and development; and organizational development and analysis. May work with management to reorganize the work setting to improve worker productivity.
- Market Research Analyst. Research market conditions in local, regional, or national areas to determine potential sales of a product or service. May gather information on competitors, prices, and methods of marketing and distribution. May use survey results to create a marketing campaign based on regional preferences and buying habits.
- School Psychologist. Investigate processes of learning and teaching and develop psychological principles and techniques applicable to educational problems.
- Urban Planner. Develop comprehensive plans and programs for use of land and physical facilities of local jurisdictions, such as towns, cities, and metropolitan areas.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Market Survey Representative Training
The University of Texas at San Antonio - San Antonio, TX
The University of Texas at San Antonio, One UTSA Circle, San Antonio, TX 78249-1644. The University of Texas at San Antonio is a large university located in San Antonio, Texas. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 28,413 students and an admission rate of 93%. The University of Texas at San Antonio has 2 areas of study related to Market Survey Representative. They are:
- Economics, master's degree which graduated 4 students in 2008.
- Business/Managerial Economics, bachelor's degree and master's degree which graduated two and one students respectively in 2008.
Texas State University-San Marcos - San Marcos, TX
Texas State University-San Marcos, 601 University Dr, San Marcos, TX 78666. Texas State University-San Marcos is a large university located in San Marcos, Texas. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 29,125 students and an admission rate of 74%. Texas State University-San Marcos has 2 areas of study related to Market Survey Representative. They are:
- Economics, bachelor's degree.
- Business/Managerial Economics, bachelor's degree which graduated 1 student in 2008.
St Philips College - San Antonio, TX
St Philips College, 1801 Martin Luther King Dr, San Antonio, TX 78203-2098. St Philips College is a large college located in San Antonio, Texas. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 10,056 students. St Philips College has an associate's degree program in Economics which graduated forty-three students in 2008.
Palo Alto College - San Antonio, TX
Palo Alto College, 1400 Villaret, San Antonio, TX 78224-2499. Palo Alto College is a medium sized college located in San Antonio, Texas. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 7,791 students. Palo Alto College has an associate's degree program in Economics which graduated one student in 2008.
Trinity University - San Antonio, TX
Trinity University, One Trinity Place, San Antonio, TX 78212-7200. Trinity University is a small university located in San Antonio, Texas. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 2,610 students and an admission rate of 58%. Trinity University has a bachelor's degree program in Economics which graduated fourteen students in 2008.
Texas Lutheran University - Seguin, TX
Texas Lutheran University, 1000 W. Court St, Seguin, TX 78155-5999. Texas Lutheran University is a small university located in Seguin, Texas. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 1,432 students and an admission rate of 73%. Texas Lutheran University has a bachelor's degree program in Economics.
Northwest Vista College - San Antonio, TX
Northwest Vista College, 3535 North West Ellison Dr, San Antonio, TX 78251. Northwest Vista College is a large college located in San Antonio, Texas. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 12,034 students. Northwest Vista College has an associate's degree program in Economics which graduated one student in 2008.
St Marys University - San Antonio, TX
St Marys University, One Camino Santa Maria, San Antonio, TX 78228-8572. St Marys University is a small university located in San Antonio, Texas. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 3,888 students and an admission rate of 63%. St Marys University has a bachelor's degree and a master's degree program in Economics.
Certified Forensic Interviewer: The objective of this certification program is to create comprehensive, universally accepted professional standards combined with an objective measure of an interviewer's knowledge of those standards.
For more information, see the Center for Interviewer Standards and Assessment Ltd. website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: San Antonio, Texas
San Antonio is situated in Bexar County, Texas. It has a population of over 1,351,305, which has grown by 18.1% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in San Antonio, 80, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in San Antonio are valued at $174,900 on average, which is near the state average. In 2008, 2,665 new homes were constructed in San Antonio, down from 4,253 the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in San Antonio are health care, educational services, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is construction, accommodation and food services, and health care. The average commute to work is about 24 minutes. More than 21.6% of San Antonio residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 7.9%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in San Antonio is 6.6%, which is less than Texas's average of 8.1%.
The percentage of San Antonio residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 65.1%, is more than both the national and state average. El Buen Samaritano United Methodist Church, Pentecostal Holiness Church and Pentecostal Home Missionary Church are all churches located in San Antonio. The most common religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Southern Baptist Convention and the Charismatic Churches Independent.
San Antonio is home to the Monte Vista Residential Historic District and the Main and Military Plazas Historic District as well as Kennedy Park and Buckeye Park. Shopping centers in the area include Windsor Park Mall, Windsor Park Shopping Center and Wonderland Shopping Center. Visitors to San Antonio can choose from Alpha Hotel, Alamo Executive Suites Inc and Chevy Chase Apartments & Townhomes for temporary stays in the area.