Career and Education Opportunities for Nursing Professors in San Antonio, Texas
There are many career and education opportunities for nursing professors in the San Antonio, Texas area. Nursing professors generally demonstrate and teach patient care in classroom and clinical units to nursing students.
The average wage in the general category of Postsecondary Education jobs is $21 per hour or $63,640 per year in Texas, and an average of $23 per hour or $64,226 per year nationwide. Incomes for nursing professors are not quite as good as in the overall category of Postsecondary Education in Texas, and not quite as good as the overall Postsecondary Education category nationally. People working as nursing professors can fill a number of jobs, such as: cpr instructor , nurse practitioner, and instructor nurse.
There are forty schools of higher education in the San Antonio area, including six within twenty-five miles of San Antonio where you can get a degree to start your career as a nursing professor. Nursing professors usually hold a Master's degree, so you can expect to spend about six years training to become a nursing professor if you already have a high school diploma, or just 2 years if you have a Bachelor's degree.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Nursing Professor
In general, nursing professors demonstrate and teach patient care in classroom and clinical units to nursing students. They also includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of both teaching and research.
Nursing professors keep abreast of developments in their field by reading current literature, talking with colleagues, and participating in professional conferences. They also evaluate and grade students' class work, laboratory and clinic work, assignments, and papers. Equally important, nursing professors have to collaborate with colleagues to address teaching and research issues. They are often called upon to formulate and revise curricula, course content and methods of instruction. They are expected to initiate and moderate classroom discussions. Finally, nursing professors supervise students' laboratory and clinical work.
Every day, nursing professors are expected to be able to articulate ideas and problems. They need to speak clearly. It is also important that they read and understand documents and reports.
It is important for nursing professors to supervise undergraduate or graduate teaching, internship, and research work. They are often called upon to conduct research in a particular field of knowledge and publish findings in professional journals or electronic media. They also write grant proposals to procure external research funding. They are sometimes expected to act as advisers to student organizations. Somewhat less frequently, nursing professors are also expected to demonstrate patient care in clinical units of hospitals.
Nursing professors sometimes are asked to maintain student attendance records and other required records. They also have to be able to furnish professional consulting services to government or industry and ready course materials such as syllabi and handouts. And finally, they sometimes have to supervise undergraduate or graduate teaching, internship, and research work.
Like many other jobs, nursing professors must have exceptional integrity and be reliable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in San Antonio include:
- Agriculture Professor. Teach courses in the agricultural sciences. Includes teachers of agronomy, dairy sciences, and agricultural soil conservation.
- Architecture Professor. Teach courses in architecture and architectural design, such as architectural environmental design, interior architecture/design, and landscape architecture.
- Communication Professor. Teach courses in communications, such as organizational communications, public relations, radio/television broadcasting, and journalism.
- Computer Science Professor. Teach courses in computer science. May specialize in a field of computer science.
- English Professor. Teach courses in English language and literature, including linguistics and comparative literature.
- Graduate Research Assistant. Assist department chairperson, faculty members, or other professional staff members in college or university by performing teaching or teaching-related duties, such as teaching lower level courses, developing teaching materials, preparing and giving examinations, and grading examinations or papers. Graduate assistants must be enrolled in a graduate school program. Graduate assistants who primarily perform non-teaching duties, such as laboratory research, should be reported in the occupational category related to the work performed.
- Law Professor. Teach courses in law.
- Math Professor. Teach courses pertaining to mathematical concepts, statistics, and actuarial science and to the application of original and standardized mathematical techniques in solving specific problems and situations.
- Physical Education Professor. Teach courses pertaining to recreation, leisure, and fitness studies, including exercise physiology and facilities management.
- Vocational Instructor. Teach or instruct vocational or occupational subjects at the postsecondary level (but at less than the baccalaureate) to students who have graduated or left high school. Includes correspondence school instructors; industrial, commercial and government training instructors; and adult education teachers and instructors who prepare persons to operate industrial machinery and equipment and transportation and communications equipment. Teaching may take place in public or private schools whose primary business is education or in a school associated with an organization whose primary business is other than education.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Nursing Professor Training
The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio - San Antonio, TX
The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, 7703 Floyd Curl Dr, San Antonio, TX 78229-3900. The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio is a small university located in San Antonio, Texas. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 3,023 students and an admission rate of 19%. The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio has 5 areas of study related to Nursing Professor. They are:
- Nursing - Registered Nurse Training, bachelor's degree which graduated 189 students in 2008.
- Family Practice Nurse/Nurse Practitioner, master's degree which graduated 42 students in 2008.
- Nursing Science, doctor's degree which graduated 4 students in 2008.
- Psychiatric/Mental Health Nurse/Nursing, master's degree.
- Clinical Nurse Specialist, master's degree which graduated 10 students in 2008.
St Philips College - San Antonio, TX
St Philips College, 1801 Martin Luther King Dr, San Antonio, TX 78203-2098. St Philips College is a large college located in San Antonio, Texas. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 10,056 students. St Philips College has 2 areas of study related to Nursing Professor. They are:
- Pre-Nursing Studies, associate's degree which graduated 6 students in 2008.
- Nursing - Registered Nurse Training, associate's degree which graduated 59 students in 2008.
Palo Alto College - San Antonio, TX
Palo Alto College, 1400 Villaret, San Antonio, TX 78224-2499. Palo Alto College is a medium sized college located in San Antonio, Texas. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 7,791 students. Palo Alto College has an associate's degree program in Pre-Nursing Studies which graduated twenty-four students in 2008.
San Antonio College - San Antonio, TX
San Antonio College, 1300 San Pedro Ave, San Antonio, TX 78212-4299. San Antonio College is a large college located in San Antonio, Texas. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 21,713 students. San Antonio College has an associate's degree program in Nursing - Registered Nurse Training which graduated 285 students in 2008.
Northwest Vista College - San Antonio, TX
Northwest Vista College, 3535 North West Ellison Dr, San Antonio, TX 78251. Northwest Vista College is a large college located in San Antonio, Texas. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 12,034 students. Northwest Vista College has an associate's degree program in Nursing - Registered Nurse Training which graduated thirty-five students in 2008.
University of the Incarnate Word - San Antonio, TX
University of the Incarnate Word, 4301 Broadway, San Antonio, TX 78209. University of the Incarnate Word is a medium sized university located in San Antonio, Texas. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 6,361 students and an admission rate of 67%. University of the Incarnate Word has a bachelor's degree and a master's degree program in Nursing - Registered Nurse Training which graduated eighty-three and twelve students respectively in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: San Antonio, Texas
San Antonio is situated in Bexar County, Texas. It has a population of over 1,351,305, which has grown by 18.1% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in San Antonio, 80, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in San Antonio are valued at $174,900 on average, which is near the state average. In 2008, 2,665 new homes were constructed in San Antonio, down from 4,253 the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in San Antonio are health care, educational services, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is construction, accommodation and food services, and health care. The average commute to work is about 24 minutes. More than 21.6% of San Antonio residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 7.9%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in San Antonio is 6.6%, which is less than Texas's average of 8.1%.
The percentage of San Antonio residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 65.1%, is more than both the national and state average. El Buen Samaritano United Methodist Church, Pentecostal Holiness Church and Pentecostal Home Missionary Church are all churches located in San Antonio. The most common religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Southern Baptist Convention and the Charismatic Churches Independent.
San Antonio is home to the Monte Vista Residential Historic District and the Main and Military Plazas Historic District as well as Kennedy Park and Buckeye Park. Shopping centers in the area include Windsor Park Mall, Windsor Park Shopping Center and Wonderland Shopping Center. Visitors to San Antonio can choose from Alpha Hotel, Alamo Executive Suites Inc and Chevy Chase Apartments & Townhomes for temporary stays in the area.