Career and Education Opportunities for Law Professors in San Antonio, Texas
Law professors can find many career and educational opportunities in the San Antonio, Texas area. In general, law professors teach courses in law.
The average wage in the general category of Postsecondary Education jobs is $21 per hour or $63,640 per year in Texas, and an average of $23 per hour or $64,226 per year nationwide. Earnings for law professors are better than earnings in the general category of Postsecondary Education in Texas and better than general Postsecondary Education category earnings nationally. Law professors work in a variety of jobs, including: clinical law professor, professor, and law librarian.
The San Antonio area is home to forty schools of higher education, including two within twenty-five miles of San Antonio where you can get a degree as a law professor. Given that the most common education level for law professors is a first professional degree, it will take two years to learn to be a law professor if you already have a Bachelor's degree, or about six years if you have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Law Professor
In general, law professors teach courses in law.
Law professors evaluate and grade students' class work and oral presentations. They also collaborate with colleagues to address teaching and research issues. Equally important, law professors have to initiate and moderate classroom discussions. They are often called upon to ready course materials such as syllabi and handouts. They are expected to keep abreast of developments in their field by reading current literature, talking with colleagues, and participating in professional conferences. Finally, law professors participate in student recruitment and placement efforts.
Every day, law professors are expected to be able to articulate ideas and problems. They need to listen to and understand others in meetings. It is also important that they read and understand documents and reports.
It is important for law professors to act as advisers to student organizations. They are often called upon to supervise undergraduate or graduate teaching, internship, and research work. They also decide on and obtain materials and supplies such as textbooks. They are sometimes expected to perform administrative duties such as serving as department head. Somewhat less frequently, law professors are also expected to furnish professional consulting services to government or industry.
Law professors sometimes are asked to ready and deliver lectures to undergraduate or graduate students on topics such as civil procedure and torts. They also have to be able to furnish professional consulting services to government or industry And finally, they sometimes have to maintain regularly scheduled office hours to advise and assist students.
Like many other jobs, law professors must be able to absorb the factors involved and a problem and provide a well thought out solution and be reliable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in San Antonio include:
- Agriculture Professor. Teach courses in the agricultural sciences. Includes teachers of agronomy, dairy sciences, and agricultural soil conservation.
- Architecture Professor. Teach courses in architecture and architectural design, such as architectural environmental design, interior architecture/design, and landscape architecture.
- Communication Professor. Teach courses in communications, such as organizational communications, public relations, radio/television broadcasting, and journalism.
- Computer Science Professor. Teach courses in computer science. May specialize in a field of computer science.
- English Professor. Teach courses in English language and literature, including linguistics and comparative literature.
- Graduate Research Assistant. Assist department chairperson, faculty members, or other professional staff members in college or university by performing teaching or teaching-related duties, such as teaching lower level courses, developing teaching materials, preparing and giving examinations, and grading examinations or papers. Graduate assistants must be enrolled in a graduate school program. Graduate assistants who primarily perform non-teaching duties, such as laboratory research, should be reported in the occupational category related to the work performed.
- Math Professor. Teach courses pertaining to mathematical concepts, statistics, and actuarial science and to the application of original and standardized mathematical techniques in solving specific problems and situations.
- Nursing Professor. Demonstrate and teach patient care in classroom and clinical units to nursing students. Includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of both teaching and research.
- Physical Education Professor. Teach courses pertaining to recreation, leisure, and fitness studies, including exercise physiology and facilities management.
- Vocational Instructor. Teach or instruct vocational or occupational subjects at the postsecondary level (but at less than the baccalaureate) to students who have graduated or left high school. Includes correspondence school instructors; industrial, commercial and government training instructors; and adult education teachers and instructors who prepare persons to operate industrial machinery and equipment and transportation and communications equipment. Teaching may take place in public or private schools whose primary business is education or in a school associated with an organization whose primary business is other than education.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Law Professor Training
St Marys University - San Antonio, TX
St Marys University, One Camino Santa Maria, San Antonio, TX 78228-8572. St Marys University is a small university located in San Antonio, Texas. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 3,888 students and an admission rate of 63%. St Marys University has a professional degree program in Law which graduated 232 students in 2008.
Career Point College - San Antonio, TX
Career Point College, 485 Spencer Ln, San Antonio, TX 78201. Career Point College is a small college located in San Antonio, Texas. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 2-year programs and has 944 students. Career Point College has a less than one year program in Legal Studies which graduated seventy-two students in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: San Antonio, Texas
San Antonio is situated in Bexar County, Texas. It has a population of over 1,351,305, which has grown by 18.1% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in San Antonio, 80, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in San Antonio are valued at $174,900 on average, which is near the state average. In 2008, 2,665 new homes were constructed in San Antonio, down from 4,253 the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in San Antonio are health care, educational services, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is construction, accommodation and food services, and health care. The average commute to work is about 24 minutes. More than 21.6% of San Antonio residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 7.9%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in San Antonio is 6.6%, which is less than Texas's average of 8.1%.
The percentage of San Antonio residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 65.1%, is more than both the national and state average. El Buen Samaritano United Methodist Church, Pentecostal Holiness Church and Pentecostal Home Missionary Church are all churches located in San Antonio. The most common religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Southern Baptist Convention and the Charismatic Churches Independent.
San Antonio is home to the Monte Vista Residential Historic District and the Main and Military Plazas Historic District as well as Kennedy Park and Buckeye Park. Shopping centers in the area include Windsor Park Mall, Windsor Park Shopping Center and Wonderland Shopping Center. Visitors to San Antonio can choose from Alpha Hotel, Alamo Executive Suites Inc and Chevy Chase Apartments & Townhomes for temporary stays in the area.