Career and Education Opportunities for Display Specialists in San Antonio, Texas
For those living in the San Antonio, Texas area, there are many career and education opportunities for display specialists. About 11,180 people are currently employed as display specialists in Texas. By 2016, this is expected to grow 23% to 13,740 people employed. This is better than the national trend for display specialists, which sees this job pool growing by about 7.1% over the next eight years. In general, display specialists plan and erect commercial displays.
The income of a display specialist is about $11 hourly or $23,340 annually on average in Texas. In the U.S. as a whole, their income is about $12 hourly or $25,940 per year on average. Compared with people working in the overall category of Art and Design, people working as display specialists in Texas earn less. They earn less than people working in the overall category of Art and Design nationally. Display specialists work in a variety of jobs, including: apparel merchandiser, window draper, and display director.
There are two schools within twenty-five miles of San Antonio where you can study to be a display specialist, among forty schools of higher education total in the San Antonio area. The most common level of education for display specialists is a high school diploma or GED. You can expect to spend only a short time studying to be a display specialist if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Display Specialist
In general, display specialists plan and erect commercial displays.
Display specialists change or rotate window displays, interior display areas, and signage to reflect changes in inventory or promotion. They also arrange properties and other accessories, as shown in prepared sketches. Equally important, display specialists have to formulate commercial displays to entice and appeal to customers. They are often called upon to design concepts or plans for merchandise displays or window decorations. Finally, display specialists confer with advertising and sales staff to establish types of products to be featured and time and place for each display.
Every day, display specialists are expected to be able to listen to and understand others in meetings. They need to twist and stretch their arms and legs to get work done. It is also important that they visualize how things come together and can be organized.
It is important for display specialists to place prices and descriptive signs on backdrops or floor. They are often called upon to construct or assemble displays and display components from fabric and plastic, using hand tools and woodworking power tools, according to given requirements. They also collaborate with others to obtain products and other display items. They are sometimes expected to obtain plans from display designers or display managers, and consider their implementation with clients or supervisors. Somewhat less frequently, display specialists are also expected to maintain props and mannequins, inspecting them for imperfections and applying preservative coatings as needed.
Display specialists sometimes are asked to store and maintain records of props and display items. And finally, they sometimes have to construct or assemble displays and display components from fabric and plastic, using hand tools and woodworking power tools, according to given requirements.
Like many other jobs, display specialists must be thorough and dependable and be reliable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in San Antonio include:
- Art Director. Formulate design concepts and presentation approaches, and direct workers engaged in art work, layout design, and copy writing for visual communications media, such as magazines, books, and packaging.
- Craftsman. Create or reproduce hand-made objects for sale and exhibition using a variety of techniques, such as welding, weaving, and needlecraft.
- Fashion Designer. Design clothing and accessories. Create original garments or design garments that follow well established fashion trends. May develop the line of color and kinds of materials.
- Fine Artist. Create original artwork using any of a wide variety of mediums and techniques.
- Graphic Designer. Design or create graphics to meet specific commercial or promotional needs, such as packaging, displays, or logos. May use a variety of mediums to achieve artistic or decorative effects.
- Industrial Designer. Develop and design manufactured products, such as cars, home appliances, and children's toys. Combine artistic talent with research on product use, marketing, and materials to create the most functional and appealing product design.
- Interior Designer. Plan, design, and furnish interiors of residential, commercial, or industrial buildings. Formulate design which is practical, aesthetic, and conducive to intended purposes, such as raising productivity, selling merchandise, or improving life style. May specialize in a particular field, style, or phase of interior design.
- Multi-Media Artist or Animator. Create special effects, animation, or other visual images using film, video, or other electronic tools and media for use in products or creations, such as computer games, movies, and commercials.
- Set and Exhibit Designer. Design special exhibits and movie, television, and theater sets. May study scripts, confer with directors, and conduct research to determine appropriate architectural styles.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Display Specialist Training
Schreiner University - Kerrville, TX
Schreiner University, 2100 Memorial Blvd, Kerrville, TX 78028-5697. Schreiner University is a small university located in Kerrville, Texas. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 974 students and an admission rate of 59%. Schreiner University has a bachelor's degree program in Commercial and Advertising Art which graduated seven students in 2008.
Texas State University-San Marcos - San Marcos, TX
Texas State University-San Marcos, 601 University Dr, San Marcos, TX 78666. Texas State University-San Marcos is a large university located in San Marcos, Texas. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 29,125 students and an admission rate of 74%. Texas State University-San Marcos has a bachelor's degree program in Commercial and Advertising Art.
LOCATION INFORMATION: San Antonio, Texas
San Antonio is situated in Bexar County, Texas. It has a population of over 1,351,305, which has grown by 18.1% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in San Antonio, 80, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in San Antonio are valued at $174,900 on average, which is near the state average. In 2008, 2,665 new homes were constructed in San Antonio, down from 4,253 the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in San Antonio are health care, educational services, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is construction, accommodation and food services, and health care. The average commute to work is about 24 minutes. More than 21.6% of San Antonio residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 7.9%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in San Antonio is 6.6%, which is less than Texas's average of 8.1%.
The percentage of San Antonio residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 65.1%, is more than both the national and state average. El Buen Samaritano United Methodist Church, Pentecostal Holiness Church and Pentecostal Home Missionary Church are all churches located in San Antonio. The most common religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Southern Baptist Convention and the Charismatic Churches Independent.
San Antonio is home to the Monte Vista Residential Historic District and the Main and Military Plazas Historic District as well as Kennedy Park and Buckeye Park. Shopping centers in the area include Windsor Park Mall, Windsor Park Shopping Center and Wonderland Shopping Center. Visitors to San Antonio can choose from Alpha Hotel, Alamo Executive Suites Inc and Chevy Chase Apartments & Townhomes for temporary stays in the area.