Career and Education Opportunities for Music Composers in Round Rock, Texas
Music composer career and educational opportunities abound in Round Rock, Texas. There are currently 4,430 working music composers in Texas; this should grow 12% to about 4,970 working music composers in the state by 2016. This is better than the national trend for music composers, which sees this job pool growing by about 10.0% over the next eight years. In general, music composers write and transcribe musical scores.
Income for music composers is about $22 hourly or $47,110 yearly on average in Texas. Nationally, their income is about $19 per hour or $41,270 yearly. Incomes for music composers are better than in the overall category of Musical Entertainment in Texas, and better than the overall Musical Entertainment category nationally. Music composers work in a variety of jobs, including: song writer, music adapter, and composer.
The Round Rock area is home to thirty-four schools of higher education, including five within twenty-five miles of Round Rock where you can get a degree as a music composer. Music composers usually hold some college courses, so you can expect to spend a short time training to become a music composer if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Music Composer
In general, music composers write and transcribe musical scores.
Music composers apply elements of music theory to generate musical and tonal structures, including harmonies and melodies. They also decide on voices and tone balances required to produce the effects desired in a musical composition. Equally important, music composers have to experiment with different sounds, and types and pieces of music, using synthesizers and computers as needed to test and evaluate concepts. They are often called upon to write changes directly into compositions, or use computer software to make changes. They are expected to score compositions so that they are consistent with instrumental and vocal capabilities such as ranges and keys, using knowledge of music theory. Finally, music composers develop original musical forms, or write within circumscribed musical forms such as sonatas or operas.
Every day, music composers are expected to be able to note differences between sounds as they change tone and volume. It is also important that they articulate ideas and problems.
It is important for music composers to talk with producers and directors to define the nature and placement of film or television music. They are often called upon to study films or scripts to establish how musical scores can be used to generate desired effects or moods. Somewhat less frequently, music composers are also expected to write music for commercial mediums, including advertising jingles or film soundtracks.
Music composers sometimes are asked to copy parts from scores for individual performers. They also have to be able to accept commissions to generate music for special occasions and transpose music from one voice or instrument to another to deal with particular musicians. And finally, they sometimes have to transpose music from one voice or instrument to another to deal with particular musicians.
Like many other jobs, music composers must be reliable and believe in innovation and creative thought.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Round Rock include:
- Actor. Play parts in stage, television, or motion picture productions for entertainment, information, or instruction. Interpret serious or comic role by speech, gesture, and body movement to entertain or inform audience. May dance and sing.
- Art Director. Formulate design concepts and presentation approaches, and direct workers engaged in art work, layout design, and copy writing for visual communications media, such as magazines, books, and packaging.
- Artistic Director. Audition and interview performers to select most appropriate talent for parts in stage, television, or motion picture productions.
- Camera Operator. Operate television, video, or motion picture camera to photograph images or scenes for various purposes, such as TV broadcasts, advertising, or motion pictures.
- Choreographer. Create and teach dance. May direct and stage presentations.
- Dancer. Perform dances. May also sing or act.
- Film or Videotape Editor. Edit motion picture soundtracks, film, and video.
- Fine Artist. Create original artwork using any of a wide variety of mediums and techniques.
- Music Director. Direct and conduct instrumental or vocal performances by musical groups.
- Musician. Play one or more musical instruments in recital, in accompaniment, or as members of an orchestra, band, or other musical group.
- Singer. Sing songs on stage, radio, or motion pictures.
- Writer. Create original written works.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Music Composer Training
Austin Community College District - Austin, TX
Austin Community College District, 5930 Middle Fiskville Rd, Austin, TX 78752. Austin Community College District is a large college located in Austin, Texas. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 35,798 students. Austin Community College District has an associate's degree program in Music Management and Merchandising which graduated fifteen students in 2008.
The University of Texas at Austin - Austin, TX
The University of Texas at Austin, , Austin, TX 78712. The University of Texas at Austin is a large university located in Austin, Texas. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 49,984 students and an admission rate of 44%. The University of Texas at Austin has 2 areas of study related to Music Composer. They are:
- Music Performance, bachelor's degree which graduated 15 students in 2008.
- Music Theory and Composition, bachelor's degree which graduated 2 students in 2008.
University of Mary Hardin-Baylor - Belton, TX
University of Mary Hardin-Baylor, 900 College St, Belton, TX 76513-2599. University of Mary Hardin-Baylor is a small university located in Belton, Texas. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 2,701 students and an admission rate of 43%. University of Mary Hardin-Baylor has 3 areas of study related to Music Composer. They are:
- Religious/Sacred Music, bachelor's degree.
- Music Performance, bachelor's degree which graduated 1 student in 2008.
- Music Theory and Composition, bachelor's degree.
Concordia University Texas - Austin, TX
Concordia University Texas, 11400 Concordia University Dr., Austin, TX 78726. Concordia University Texas is a small university located in Austin, Texas. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 2,147 students and an admission rate of 66%. Concordia University Texas has a bachelor's degree program in Religious/Sacred Music.
Southwestern University - Georgetown, TX
Southwestern University, 1001 University Ave, Georgetown, TX 78626. Southwestern University is a small university located in Georgetown, Texas. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 1,270 students and an admission rate of 65%. Southwestern University has 3 areas of study related to Music Composer. They are:
- Music Performance, bachelor's degree which graduated 1 student in 2008.
- Music Theory and Composition, bachelor's degree which graduated 1 student in 2008.
- Musicology and Ethnomusicology, bachelor's degree.
AmSAT Certified Teacher: Certified Alexander Technique Teachers have completed a 3 year, 1600 hour course at an AmSAT certified teacher training center.
For more information, see the American Society for the Alexander Technique website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Round Rock, Texas
Round Rock is located in Williamson County, Texas. It has a population of over 104,446, which has grown by 70.8% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Round Rock, 83, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in Round Rock are priced at $145,400 on average, which is well below the state average. In 2008, three hundred twenty-four new homes were constructed in Round Rock, down from seven hundred ninety-six the previous year.
The three big industries for women in Round Rock are educational services, computer and electronic products, and health care. For men, it is computer and electronic products, construction, and public administration. The average travel time to work is about 26 minutes. More than 32.9% of Round Rock residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 9.1%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Round Rock is 6.2%, which is less than Texas's average of 8.1%.
The percentage of Round Rock residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 40.0%, is less than both the national and state average. Primera Iglesia Bautista of Round Rock Church, Round Rock Chapel Church and Round Rock Church of Christ are all churches located in Round Rock. The most common religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Southern Baptist Convention and the United Methodist Church.
Round Rock is home to the Inn at Brushy Creek and the Captain Nelson Merrell House as well as Roundrock West Park and Mesa Village Park. Visitors to Round Rock can choose from Best Western Executive Inn and Austin Marriott North for temporary stays in the area.