Career and Education Opportunities for Landscape Architects in Round Rock, Texas
Many educational and employment opportunities exist for landscape architects in the Round Rock, Texas area. There are currently 930 jobs for landscape architects in Texas and this is projected to grow by 18% to about 1,100 jobs by 2016. This is not quite as good as the national trend for landscape architects, which sees this job pool growing by about 19.7% over the next eight years. Landscape architects generally plan and design land areas for such projects as parks and other recreational facilities, airports, and commercial, industrial, and residential sites.
Income for landscape architects is about $28 hourly or $59,840 per year on average in Texas. Nationally, their income is about $28 hourly or $58,960 per year. Earnings for landscape architects are not quite as good as earnings in the general category of Architecture in Texas and not quite as good as general Architecture category earnings nationally. People working as landscape architects can fill a number of jobs, such as: landscape designer, land planner, and golf course designer.
There are thirty-four schools of higher education in the Round Rock area, including one within twenty-five miles of Round Rock where you can get a degree to start your career as a landscape architect. Given that the most common education level for landscape architects is a Bachelor's degree, you can expect to spend about four years training to become a landscape architect if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Landscape Architect
In general, landscape architects plan and design land areas for such projects as parks and other recreational facilities, airports, and commercial, industrial, and residential sites.
Landscape architects talk with clients and architects on overall programs. They also ready site plans and cost estimates for land development, coordinating arrangement of existing and proposed land features and structures. Equally important, landscape architects have to seek new work opportunities through marketing, writing proposals or giving presentations. They are often called upon to inspect landscape work to insure adherence to specifications, approve quality of materials and work, and advise client and construction personnel. They are expected to ready graphic representations and drawings of proposed plans and designs. Finally, landscape architects compile and analyze data on conditions such as location and location of structures for environmental reports and landscaping plans.
Every day, landscape architects are expected to be able to listen to and understand others in meetings. They need to articulate ideas and problems. It is also important that they read and understand documents and reports.
And finally, they sometimes have to talk with clients and architects on overall programs.
Like many other jobs, landscape architects must have exceptional integrity and be thorough and dependable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Round Rock include:
- Architect. Plan and design structures, such as private residences, office buildings, and other structural property.
- Civil Engineer. Perform engineering duties in planning, designing, and overseeing construction and maintenance of building structures, and facilities, such as roads, railroads, airports, bridges, harbors, channels, dams, irrigation projects, pipelines, power plants, water and sewage systems, and waste disposal units. Includes architectural, structural, and geo-technical engineers.
- Health, Safety, and Environment Manager. Plan, implement, and coordinate safety programs, requiring application of engineering principles and technology, to prevent or correct unsafe environmental working conditions.
- Materials Engineer. Evaluate materials and develop machinery and processes to manufacture materials for use in products that must meet specialized design and performance specifications. Develop new uses for known materials. Includes those working with composite materials or specializing in one type of material, such as graphite, metal and metal alloys, ceramics and glass, plastics and polymers, and naturally occurring materials.
- Surveyor. Make exact measurements and determine property boundaries. Provide data relevant to the shape, contour, or dimension of land or land features on or near the earth's surface for engineering, mapmaking, and other purposes.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Landscape Architect Training
The University of Texas at Austin - Austin, TX
The University of Texas at Austin, , Austin, TX 78712. The University of Texas at Austin is a large university located in Austin, Texas. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 49,984 students and an admission rate of 44%. The University of Texas at Austin has 2 areas of study related to Landscape Architect. They are:
- Environmental Design/Architecture, master's degree which graduated 4 students in 2008.
- Landscape Architecture, master's degree which graduated 10 students in 2008.
Licensing agency: Texas Board of Architectural Examiners
Address: 333 Guadalupe, Suite 2-350, Austin, TX 78701-3942
Phone: (512) 305-9000
Website: Texas Board of Architectural Examiners
LOCATION INFORMATION: Round Rock, Texas
Round Rock is located in Williamson County, Texas. It has a population of over 104,446, which has grown by 70.8% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Round Rock, 83, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in Round Rock are priced at $145,400 on average, which is well below the state average. In 2008, three hundred twenty-four new homes were constructed in Round Rock, down from seven hundred ninety-six the previous year.
The three big industries for women in Round Rock are educational services, computer and electronic products, and health care. For men, it is computer and electronic products, construction, and public administration. The average travel time to work is about 26 minutes. More than 32.9% of Round Rock residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 9.1%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Round Rock is 6.2%, which is less than Texas's average of 8.1%.
The percentage of Round Rock residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 40.0%, is less than both the national and state average. Primera Iglesia Bautista of Round Rock Church, Round Rock Chapel Church and Round Rock Church of Christ are all churches located in Round Rock. The most common religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Southern Baptist Convention and the United Methodist Church.
Round Rock is home to the Inn at Brushy Creek and the Captain Nelson Merrell House as well as Roundrock West Park and Mesa Village Park. Visitors to Round Rock can choose from Best Western Executive Inn and Austin Marriott North for temporary stays in the area.