Career and Education Opportunities for Credit Investigators in Richardson, Texas
Credit investigators can find both educational opportunities and jobs in the Richardson, Texas area. Currently, 5,960 people work as credit investigators in Texas. This is expected to shrink by 4% to about 5,720 people by 2016. This is not quite as good as the nation as a whole, where employment opportunities for credit investigators are expected to grow by about 2.8%. Credit investigators generally investigate history and credit standing of individuals or business establishments applying for credit.
The income of a credit investigator is about $14 hourly or $30,110 per year on average in Texas. In the U.S. as a whole, their income is about $14 hourly or $30,390 per year on average. Earnings for credit investigators are better than earnings in the general category of Credit Authorization in Texas and better than general Credit Authorization category earnings nationally.
There are three schools within twenty-five miles of Richardson where you can study to be a credit investigator, among seventy-seven schools of higher education total in the Richardson area. Credit investigators usually hold a high school diploma or GED, so you can expect to spend only a short time studying to be a credit investigator if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Credit Investigator
In general, credit investigators investigate history and credit standing of individuals or business establishments applying for credit. They also telephone or write to credit departments of business and service establishments to obtain information about applicant's credit standing.
Every day, credit investigators are expected to be able to articulate ideas and problems. It is also important that they listen to and understand others in meetings.
It is important for credit investigators to ready reports of findings and recommendations, using typewriters or computers. They are often called upon to obtain data related to potential creditors from banks and other credit services, and furnish reciprocal data if requested. They also interview credit applicants by telephone or in person so as to obtain personal and financial data needed to finish credit report. Somewhat less frequently, credit investigators are also expected to examine city directories and public archives in order to confirm residence property ownership or unpaid taxes of applicants.
Credit investigators sometimes are asked to contact former employers and other acquaintances to confirm applicants' references and social behavior. They also have to be able to relay credit report data to subscribers by mail or by telephone And finally, they sometimes have to relay credit report data to subscribers by mail or by telephone.
Like many other jobs, credit investigators must have strong self control in the face of challenging situations and be thorough and dependable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Richardson include:
- Accounts Receivable Specialist. Locate and notify customers of delinquent accounts by mail, telephone, or personal visit to solicit payment. Duties include receiving payment and posting amount to customer's account; preparing statements to credit department if customer fails to respond; initiating repossession proceedings or service disconnection; keeping records of collection and status of accounts.
- Correspondence Clerk. Compose letters in reply to requests for merchandise, damage claims, credit and other information, delinquent accounts, or unsatisfactory services. Duties may include gathering data to formulate reply and typing correspondence.
- Customer Care Specialist. Interact with customers to provide information in response to inquiries about products and services and to handle and resolve complaints.
- Eligibility and Occupancy Interviewer. Determine eligibility of persons applying to receive assistance from government programs and agency resources, such as welfare, unemployment benefits, and public housing.
- Insurance Claims Processor. Obtain information from insured or designated persons for purpose of settling claim with insurance carrier.
- Insurance Processing Clerk. Process applications for, changes to, and cancellation of insurance policies. Duties include reviewing insurance applications to ensure that all questions have been answered, compiling data on insurance policy changes, changing policy records to conform to insured party's specifications, compiling data on lapsed insurance policies to determine automatic reinstatement according to company policies, canceling insurance policies as requested by agents, and verifying the accuracy of insurance company records.
- Interviewer. Interview persons by telephone, mail, or by other means for the purpose of completing forms, applications, or questionnaires. Ask specific questions, record answers, and assist persons with completing form. May sort, classify, and file forms.
- Municipal Clerk. Draft agendas and bylaws for town or city council; record minutes of council meetings; answer official correspondence; keep fiscal records and accounts; and prepare reports on civic needs.
- Procurement Clerk. Compile information and records to draw up purchase orders for procurement of materials and services.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Credit Investigator Training
University of North Texas - Denton, TX
University of North Texas, Chestnut Ave., Denton, TX 76203-1277. University of North Texas is a large university located in Denton, Texas. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 34,795 students and an admission rate of 64%. University of North Texas has bachelor's degree, master's degree, and doctor's degree programs in Banking and Financial Support Services which graduated one, thirty-one, and two students respectively in 2008.
Northwood University - Cedar Hill, TX
Northwood University, 1114 W FM 1382, Cedar Hill, TX 75104-1204. Northwood University is a small university located in Cedar Hill, Texas. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 864 students and an admission rate of 55%. Northwood University has an associate's degree and a bachelor's degree program in Banking and Financial Support Services which graduated five and six students respectively in 2008.
North Lake College - Irving, TX
North Lake College, 5001 N MacArthur Blvd, Irving, TX 75038-3899. North Lake College is a large college located in Irving, Texas. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 10,174 students. North Lake College has a one to two year and an associate's degree program in Banking and Financial Support Services which graduated two and five students respectively in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Richardson, Texas
Richardson is situated in Dallas County, Texas. It has a population of over 101,589, which has grown by 10.7% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Richardson, 92, is below the national average. New single-family homes in Richardson are priced at $210,000 on average, which is well above the state average. In 2008, sixty-eight new homes were constructed in Richardson, down from one hundred forty-eight the previous year.
The top three industries for women in Richardson are educational services, professional, scientific, and technical services, and health care. For men, it is professional, scientific, and technical services, computer and electronic products, and construction. The average travel time to work is about 24 minutes. More than 47.7% of Richardson residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 16.2%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Richardson is 7.2%, which is less than Texas's average of 8.1%.
The percentage of Richardson residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 55.1%, is more than the national average but less than the state average. Heights Baptist Church, Richardson East Baptist Church and Richland Bible Fellowship Church are some of the churches located in Richardson. The most prominent religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Southern Baptist Convention and the United Methodist Church.
Richardson is home to Canyon Creek Park and Berkner Park. Visitors to Richardson can choose from Comfort Inn, Best Western Dallas Telecom Area and Champ Restaurant Equipment Supplies for temporary stays in the area.