Career and Education Opportunities for Music Composers in Richardson, Texas
Music composer career and educational opportunities abound in Richardson, Texas. There are currently 4,430 jobs for music composers in Texas and this is projected to grow by 12% to about 4,970 jobs by 2016. This is better than the nation as a whole, where employment opportunities for music composers are expected to grow by about 10.0%. In general, music composers write and transcribe musical scores.
Income for music composers is about $22 hourly or $47,110 yearly on average in Texas. Nationally, their income is about $19 per hour or $41,270 per year. Earnings for music composers are better than earnings in the general category of Musical Entertainment in Texas and better than general Musical Entertainment category earnings nationally. Music composers work in a variety of jobs, including: music producer, music arranger, and song writer.
There are seventy-seven schools of higher education in the Richardson area, including five within twenty-five miles of Richardson where you can get a degree to start your career as a music composer. Given that the most common education level for music composers is some college courses, you can expect to spend a short time training to become a music composer if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Music Composer
In general, music composers write and transcribe musical scores.
Music composers apply elements of music theory to generate musical and tonal structures, including harmonies and melodies. They also decide on voices and tone balances required to produce the effects desired in a musical composition. Equally important, music composers have to experiment with different sounds, and types and pieces of music, using synthesizers and computers as needed to test and evaluate concepts. They are often called upon to write changes directly into compositions, or use computer software to make changes. They are expected to score compositions so that they are consistent with instrumental and vocal capabilities such as ranges and keys, using knowledge of music theory. Finally, music composers develop original musical forms, or write within circumscribed musical forms such as sonatas or operas.
Every day, music composers are expected to be able to note differences between sounds as they change tone and volume. It is also important that they articulate ideas and problems.
It is important for music composers to talk with producers and directors to define the nature and placement of film or television music. They are often called upon to study films or scripts to establish how musical scores can be used to generate desired effects or moods. Somewhat less frequently, music composers are also expected to write music for commercial mediums, including advertising jingles or film soundtracks.
Music composers sometimes are asked to copy parts from scores for individual performers. They also have to be able to accept commissions to generate music for special occasions and transpose music from one voice or instrument to another to deal with particular musicians. And finally, they sometimes have to transpose music from one voice or instrument to another to deal with particular musicians.
Like many other jobs, music composers must be reliable and believe in innovation and creative thought.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Richardson include:
- Actor. Play parts in stage, television, or motion picture productions for entertainment, information, or instruction. Interpret serious or comic role by speech, gesture, and body movement to entertain or inform audience. May dance and sing.
- Art Director. Formulate design concepts and presentation approaches, and direct workers engaged in art work, layout design, and copy writing for visual communications media, such as magazines, books, and packaging.
- Artistic Director. Audition and interview performers to select most appropriate talent for parts in stage, television, or motion picture productions.
- Camera Operator. Operate television, video, or motion picture camera to photograph images or scenes for various purposes, such as TV broadcasts, advertising, or motion pictures.
- Choreographer. Create and teach dance. May direct and stage presentations.
- Dancer. Perform dances. May also sing or act.
- Film or Videotape Editor. Edit motion picture soundtracks, film, and video.
- Fine Artist. Create original artwork using any of a wide variety of mediums and techniques.
- Music Director. Direct and conduct instrumental or vocal performances by musical groups.
- Musician. Play one or more musical instruments in recital, in accompaniment, or as members of an orchestra, band, or other musical group.
- Singer. Sing songs on stage, radio, or motion pictures.
- Writer. Create original written works.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Music Composer Training
University of North Texas - Denton, TX
University of North Texas, Chestnut Ave., Denton, TX 76203-1277. University of North Texas is a large university located in Denton, Texas. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 34,795 students and an admission rate of 64%. University of North Texas has 3 areas of study related to Music Composer. They are:
- Music Performance, two to four year, bachelor's degree, postbaccalaureate certificate, master's degree, and doctor's degree which graduated zero, two, four, fifty-four, and thirty-two students respectively in 2008.
- Music Theory and Composition, bachelor's degree, master's degree, and doctor's degree which graduated two, five, and three students respectively in 2008.
- Musicology and Ethnomusicology, master's degree and doctor's degree which graduated seven and zero students respectively in 2008.
Dallas Baptist University - Dallas, TX
Dallas Baptist University, 3000 Mountain Creek Parkway, Dallas, TX 75211-9299. Dallas Baptist University is a medium sized university located in Dallas, Texas. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 5,297 students and an admission rate of 47%. Dallas Baptist University has 3 areas of study related to Music Composer. They are:
- Music Performance, bachelor's degree which graduated 2 students in 2008.
- Music Theory and Composition, bachelor's degree which graduated 1 student in 2008.
- Music Management and Merchandising, bachelor's degree which graduated 11 students in 2008.
Collin County Community College District - Plano, TX
Collin County Community College District, 4800 Preston Park Blvd., Plano, TX 75093. Collin County Community College District is a large college located in Plano, Texas. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 21,000 students. Collin County Community College District has less than one year, one to two year, and associate's degree programs in Music Management and Merchandising which graduated zero, zero, and thirteen students respectively in 2008.
Cedar Valley College - Lancaster, TX
Cedar Valley College, 3030 N Dallas Ave, Lancaster, TX 75134-3799. Cedar Valley College is a medium sized college located in Lancaster, Texas. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 5,223 students. Cedar Valley College has 3 areas of study related to Music Composer. They are:
- Music Performance, one to two year and associate's degree which graduated one and one students respectively in 2008.
- Music Theory and Composition, associate's degree.
- Music Management and Merchandising, one to two year and associate's degree.
Southern Methodist University - Dallas, TX
Southern Methodist University, 6425 Boaz St, Dallas, TX 75275-0221. Southern Methodist University is a large university located in Dallas, Texas. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 10,965 students and an admission rate of 50%. Southern Methodist University has 5 areas of study related to Music Composer. They are:
- Religious/Sacred Music, master's degree which graduated 6 students in 2008.
- Music Performance, bachelor's degree, postbaccalaureate certificate, and master's degree which graduated two, twelve, and thirteen students respectively in 2008.
- Music Theory and Composition, bachelor's degree and master's degree which graduated zero and four students respectively in 2008.
- Conducting, master's degree which graduated 1 student in 2008.
- Voice and Opera, bachelor's degree and master's degree which graduated zero and three students respectively in 2008.
AmSAT Certified Teacher: Certified Alexander Technique Teachers have completed a 3 year, 1600 hour course at an AmSAT certified teacher training center.
For more information, see the American Society for the Alexander Technique website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Richardson, Texas
Richardson is situated in Dallas County, Texas. It has a population of over 101,589, which has grown by 10.7% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Richardson, 92, is below the national average. New single-family homes in Richardson are priced at $210,000 on average, which is well above the state average. In 2008, sixty-eight new homes were constructed in Richardson, down from one hundred forty-eight the previous year.
The top three industries for women in Richardson are educational services, professional, scientific, and technical services, and health care. For men, it is professional, scientific, and technical services, computer and electronic products, and construction. The average travel time to work is about 24 minutes. More than 47.7% of Richardson residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 16.2%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Richardson is 7.2%, which is less than Texas's average of 8.1%.
The percentage of Richardson residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 55.1%, is more than the national average but less than the state average. Heights Baptist Church, Richardson East Baptist Church and Richland Bible Fellowship Church are some of the churches located in Richardson. The most prominent religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Southern Baptist Convention and the United Methodist Church.
Richardson is home to Canyon Creek Park and Berkner Park. Visitors to Richardson can choose from Comfort Inn, Best Western Dallas Telecom Area and Champ Restaurant Equipment Supplies for temporary stays in the area.