Career and Education Opportunities for Interviewers in Plano, Texas
Interviewer career and educational opportunities abound in Plano, Texas. There are currently 21,760 jobs for interviewers in Texas and this is projected to grow by 16% to 25,130 jobs by 2016. This is better than the national trend for interviewers, which sees this job pool growing by about 15.6% over the next eight years. In general, interviewers interview persons by telephone, mail, or by other means for the purpose of completing forms, applications, or questionnaires.
Interviewers earn about $13 hourly or $27,640 yearly on average in Texas and about $13 per hour or $28,140 annually on average nationally. Compared with people working in the overall category of Credit Authorization, people working as interviewers in Texas earn less. They earn less than people working in the overall category of Credit Authorization nationally.
The Plano area is home to seventy-nine schools of higher education, including six within twenty-five miles of Plano where you can get a degree as an interviewer. The most common level of education for interviewers is a high school diploma or GED. You can expect to spend only a short time training to become an interviewer if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Interviewer
In general, interviewers interview persons by telephone, mail, or by other means for the purpose of completing forms, applications, or questionnaires. They also ask specific questions, record answers, and assist persons with completing form.
Every day, interviewers are expected to be able to speak clearly. They need to articulate ideas and problems. It is also important that they listen to and understand others in meetings.
It is important for interviewers to identify and report problems in obtaining valid data. They are often called upon to compile, record and code results and data from interview or survey, using computer or specified form. They also contact individuals to be interviewed at home, place of business, or field location, by telephone or in person. They are sometimes expected to meet with supervisor daily to submit completed assignments and consider progress. Somewhat less frequently, interviewers are also expected to identify and resolve inconsistencies in interviewees' responses by means of appropriate questioning or explanation.
Interviewers sometimes are asked to supervise or train others, and maintain staff archives. They also have to be able to perform other office duties as needed And finally, they sometimes have to ready reports to furnish answers in response to specific problems.
Like many other jobs, interviewers must have exceptional integrity and be reliable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Plano include:
- Correspondence Clerk. Compose letters in reply to requests for merchandise, damage claims, credit and other information, delinquent accounts, or unsatisfactory services. Duties may include gathering data to formulate reply and typing correspondence.
- Credit Investigator. Investigate history and credit standing of individuals or business establishments applying for credit. Telephone or write to credit departments of business and service establishments to obtain information about applicant's credit standing.
- Customer Care Specialist. Interact with customers to provide information in response to inquiries about products and services and to handle and resolve complaints.
- Eligibility and Occupancy Interviewer. Determine eligibility of persons applying to receive assistance from government programs and agency resources, such as welfare, unemployment benefits, and public housing.
- Human Resources Administrator. Compile and keep personnel records. Record data for each employee, such as address, weekly earnings, absences, amount of sales or production, supervisory reports on ability, and date of and reason for termination. Compile and type reports from employment records. File employment records. Search employee files and furnish information to authorized persons.
- License Clerk. Issue licenses or permits to qualified applicants. Obtain necessary information; record data; advise applicants on requirements; collect fees; and issue licenses. May conduct oral, written, or performance testing.
- Procurement Clerk. Compile information and records to draw up purchase orders for procurement of materials and services.
- Telephone Operator. Provide information by accessing alphabetical and geographical directories. Assist customers with special billing requests.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Interviewer Training
Brookhaven College - Farmers Branch, TX
Brookhaven College, 3939 Valley View Ln, Farmers Branch, TX 75244-4997. Brookhaven College is a large college located in Farmers Branch, Texas. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 11,173 students. Brookhaven College has a one to two year program in Receptionist which graduated ten students in 2008.
El Centro College - Dallas, TX
El Centro College, 801 Main, Dallas, TX 75202-3604. El Centro College is a medium sized college located in Dallas, Texas. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 8,114 students. El Centro College has a one to two year program in Receptionist which graduated one student in 2008.
Mountain View College - Dallas, TX
Mountain View College, 4849 W Illinois, Dallas, TX 75211-6599. Mountain View College is a medium sized college located in Dallas, Texas. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 7,126 students. Mountain View College has a one to two year program in Receptionist.
Richland College - Dallas, TX
Richland College, 12800 Abrams Rd, Dallas, TX 75243-2199. Richland College is a large college located in Dallas, Texas. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 15,917 students. Richland College has a one to two year program in Receptionist which graduated eight students in 2008.
North Lake College - Irving, TX
North Lake College, 5001 N MacArthur Blvd, Irving, TX 75038-3899. North Lake College is a large college located in Irving, Texas. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 10,174 students. North Lake College has a one to two year program in Receptionist which graduated three students in 2008.
Eastfield College - Mesquite, TX
Eastfield College, 3737 Motley Dr, Mesquite, TX 75150-2099. Eastfield College is a large college located in Mesquite, Texas. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 10,501 students. Eastfield College has a one to two year program in Receptionist which graduated two students in 2008.
Certified Forensic Interviewer: The objective of this certification program is to create comprehensive, universally accepted professional standards combined with an objective measure of an interviewer's knowledge of those standards.
For more information, see the Center for Interviewer Standards and Assessment Ltd. website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Plano, Texas
Plano is situated in Collin County, Texas. It has a population of over 267,480, which has grown by 20.5% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Plano, 91, is below the national average. New single-family homes in Plano are valued at $229,500 on average, which is far greater than the state average. In 2008, three hundred sixty-eight new homes were constructed in Plano, down from five hundred forty-six the previous year.
The three big industries for women in Plano are educational services, professional, scientific, and technical services, and health care. For men, it is professional, scientific, and technical services, computer and electronic products, and finance and insurance. The average travel time to work is about 28 minutes. More than 53.3% of Plano residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 17.6%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Plano is 7.4%, which is less than Texas's average of 8.1%.
The percentage of Plano residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 53.7%, is more than the national average but less than the state average. Potters House Assembly of God Church, Central Baptist Church and Preston Meadow Lutheran Church are among the churches located in Plano. The most prominent religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Southern Baptist Convention and the United Methodist Church.
Plano is home to the Heritage Farmstead Museum and the The Shops at Willow Bend as well as Enfield Park and Buckhorn Park. Shopping malls in the area include Preston Shepard Place Shopping Center, Preston Towne Crossing Shopping Center and Collin Creek Shopping Center. Visitors to Plano can choose from Amerisuites Dallas Plano North, Best Western Park Suites Hotel and AmeriSuites Plano for temporary stays in the area.