Career and Education Opportunities for Graduate Research Assistants in Plano, Texas
If you want to be a graduate research assistant, the Plano, Texas area offers many opportunities both for education and employment. In general, graduate research assistants assist department chairperson, faculty members, or other professional staff members in college or university by performing teaching or teaching-related duties, such as teaching lower level courses, developing teaching materials, preparing and giving examinations, and grading examinations or papers.
The average wage in the general category of Postsecondary Education jobs is $21 per hour or $63,640 per year in Texas, and an average of $23 per hour or $64,226 per year nationwide. Earnings for graduate research assistants are not quite as good as earnings in the general category of Postsecondary Education in Texas and not quite as good as general Postsecondary Education category earnings nationally. Jobs in this field include: graduate assistant, teaching assistant , and graduate student instructor .
There are eight schools within twenty-five miles of Plano where you can study to be a graduate research assistant, among seventy-nine schools of higher education total in the Plano area. Graduate research assistants usually hold a Bachelor's degree, so you can expect to spend about four years training to become a graduate research assistant if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Graduate Research Assistant
In general, graduate research assistants assist department chairperson, faculty members, or other professional staff members in college or university by performing teaching or teaching-related duties, such as teaching lower level courses, developing teaching materials, preparing and giving examinations, and grading examinations or papers. They also graduate assistants must be enrolled in a graduate school program.
Graduate research assistants copy and distribute classroom materials. They also meet with supervisors to consider students' grades, and to finish required grade-related paperwork. Equally important, graduate research assistants have to evaluate and grade examinations, assignments, and papers, and record grades. They are often called upon to return assignments to students in accordance with established deadlines. Finally, graduate research assistants notify instructors of errors or problems with assignments.
Every day, graduate research assistants are expected to be able to listen to and understand others in meetings. They need to articulate ideas and problems.
It is important for graduate research assistants to lead discussion sections and laboratory sections. They are often called upon to inform students of the processes for completing and submitting class work such as lab reports. They also ready and proctor examinations. They are sometimes expected to schedule and maintain regular office hours to meet with students. Somewhat less frequently, graduate research assistants are also expected to complete laboratory projects before assigning them to students so that any needed modifications can be made.
They also have to be able to furnish instructors with assistance in the use of audiovisual equipment and notify instructors of errors or problems with assignments. And finally, they sometimes have to order or obtain materials needed for classes.
Like many other jobs, graduate research assistants must have exceptional integrity and be thorough and dependable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Plano include:
- Adult Education Teacher. Teach or instruct out-of-school youths and adults in remedial education classes, preparatory classes for the General Educational Development test, literacy, or English as a Second Language. Teaching may or may not take place in a traditional educational institution.
- Agriculture Professor. Teach courses in the agricultural sciences. Includes teachers of agronomy, dairy sciences, and agricultural soil conservation.
- Architecture Professor. Teach courses in architecture and architectural design, such as architectural environmental design, interior architecture/design, and landscape architecture.
- Communication Professor. Teach courses in communications, such as organizational communications, public relations, radio/television broadcasting, and journalism.
- Computer Science Professor. Teach courses in computer science. May specialize in a field of computer science.
- English Professor. Teach courses in English language and literature, including linguistics and comparative literature.
- High School Teacher. Instruct students in secondary public or private schools in one or more subjects at the secondary level, such as English, mathematics, or social studies. May be designated according to subject matter specialty, such as typing instructors, commercial teachers, or English teachers.
- Instructional Systems Specialist. Develop instructional material, coordinate educational content, and incorporate current technology in specialized fields that provide guidelines to educators and instructors for developing curricula and conducting courses.
- Law Professor. Teach courses in law.
- Math Professor. Teach courses pertaining to mathematical concepts, statistics, and actuarial science and to the application of original and standardized mathematical techniques in solving specific problems and situations.
- Middle School Teacher. Teach students in public or private schools in one or more subjects at the middle, intermediate, or junior high level, which falls between elementary and senior high school as defined by applicable State laws and regulations.
- Nursing Professor. Demonstrate and teach patient care in classroom and clinical units to nursing students. Includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of both teaching and research.
- Physical Education Professor. Teach courses pertaining to recreation, leisure, and fitness studies, including exercise physiology and facilities management.
- Self-Enrichment Education Teacher. Teach or instruct courses other than those that normally lead to an occupational objective or degree. Courses may include self-improvement, nonvocational, and nonacademic subjects. Teaching may or may not take place in a traditional educational institution.
- Teaching Assistant. Perform duties that are instructional in nature or deliver direct services to students or parents. Serve in a position for which a teacher or another professional has ultimate responsibility for the design and implementation of educational programs and services.
- Vocational Instructor. Teach or instruct vocational or occupational subjects at the postsecondary level (but at less than the baccalaureate) to students who have graduated or left high school. Includes correspondence school instructors; industrial, commercial and government training instructors; and adult education teachers and instructors who prepare persons to operate industrial machinery and equipment and transportation and communications equipment. Teaching may take place in public or private schools whose primary business is education or in a school associated with an organization whose primary business is other than education.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Graduate Research Assistant Training
Dallas Baptist University - Dallas, TX
Dallas Baptist University, 3000 Mountain Creek Parkway, Dallas, TX 75211-9299. Dallas Baptist University is a medium sized university located in Dallas, Texas. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 5,297 students and an admission rate of 47%. Dallas Baptist University has a master's degree program in Education which graduated one student in 2008.
Brookhaven College - Farmers Branch, TX
Brookhaven College, 3939 Valley View Ln, Farmers Branch, TX 75244-4997. Brookhaven College is a large college located in Farmers Branch, Texas. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 11,173 students. Brookhaven College has an associate's degree program in Education which graduated three students in 2008.
Southern Methodist University - Dallas, TX
Southern Methodist University, 6425 Boaz St, Dallas, TX 75275-0221. Southern Methodist University is a large university located in Dallas, Texas. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 10,965 students and an admission rate of 50%. Southern Methodist University has a master's degree program in Education.
Mountain View College - Dallas, TX
Mountain View College, 4849 W Illinois, Dallas, TX 75211-6599. Mountain View College is a medium sized college located in Dallas, Texas. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 7,126 students. Mountain View College has an associate's degree program in Education which graduated four students in 2008.
Richland College - Dallas, TX
Richland College, 12800 Abrams Rd, Dallas, TX 75243-2199. Richland College is a large college located in Dallas, Texas. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 15,917 students. Richland College has an associate's degree program in Education.
Texas Woman's University - Denton, TX
Texas Woman's University, 304 Administration Dr, Denton, TX 76201. Texas Woman's University is a large university located in Denton, Texas. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 12,341 students and an admission rate of 56%. Texas Woman's University has a master's degree and a post-master's certificate program in Education which graduated ninety-one and zero students respectively in 2008.
Eastfield College - Mesquite, TX
Eastfield College, 3737 Motley Dr, Mesquite, TX 75150-2099. Eastfield College is a large college located in Mesquite, Texas. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 10,501 students. Eastfield College has an associate's degree program in Education which graduated five students in 2008.
Arlington Baptist College - Arlington, TX
Arlington Baptist College, 3001 W Division, Arlington, TX 76012-3425. Arlington Baptist College is a small college located in Arlington, Texas. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs and has 135 students. Arlington Baptist College has a bachelor's degree program in Education which graduated thirteen students in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Plano, Texas
Plano is situated in Collin County, Texas. It has a population of over 267,480, which has grown by 20.5% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Plano, 91, is below the national average. New single-family homes in Plano are valued at $229,500 on average, which is far greater than the state average. In 2008, three hundred sixty-eight new homes were constructed in Plano, down from five hundred forty-six the previous year.
The three big industries for women in Plano are educational services, professional, scientific, and technical services, and health care. For men, it is professional, scientific, and technical services, computer and electronic products, and finance and insurance. The average travel time to work is about 28 minutes. More than 53.3% of Plano residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 17.6%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Plano is 7.4%, which is less than Texas's average of 8.1%.
The percentage of Plano residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 53.7%, is more than the national average but less than the state average. Potters House Assembly of God Church, Central Baptist Church and Preston Meadow Lutheran Church are among the churches located in Plano. The most prominent religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Southern Baptist Convention and the United Methodist Church.
Plano is home to the Heritage Farmstead Museum and the The Shops at Willow Bend as well as Enfield Park and Buckhorn Park. Shopping malls in the area include Preston Shepard Place Shopping Center, Preston Towne Crossing Shopping Center and Collin Creek Shopping Center. Visitors to Plano can choose from Amerisuites Dallas Plano North, Best Western Park Suites Hotel and AmeriSuites Plano for temporary stays in the area.