Career and Education Opportunities for Administrative Assistants in Midland, Texas
Administrative assistant career and educational opportunities abound in Midland, Texas. There are currently 149,850 jobs for administrative assistants in Texas and this is projected to grow 22% to 182,770 jobs by 2016. This is better than the nation as a whole, where employment opportunities for administrative assistants are expected to grow by about 12.8%. In general, administrative assistants provide high-level administrative support by conducting research, preparing statistical reports, handling information requests, and performing clerical functions such as preparing correspondence, receiving visitors, arranging conference calls, and scheduling meetings.
A person working as an administrative assistant can expect to earn about $18 per hour or $38,250 annually on average in Texas and about $19 hourly or $40,030 per year on average in the U.S. as a whole. Earnings for administrative assistants are better than earnings in the general category of Secretarial in Texas and better than general Secretarial category earnings nationally.
The Midland area is home to five schools of higher education, including two within twenty-five miles of Midland where you can get a degree as an administrative assistant. Given that the most common education level for administrative assistants is some college courses, you can expect to spend a short time studying to be an administrative assistant if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Administrative Assistant
In general, administrative assistants provide high-level administrative support by conducting research, preparing statistical reports, handling information requests, and performing clerical functions such as preparing correspondence, receiving visitors, arranging conference calls, and scheduling meetings. They also may also train and supervise lower-level clerical staff.
Administrative assistants file and retrieve corporate documents and reports. They also ready invoices, reports, memos, letters, financial statements and other documents, using word processing or presentation software. Equally important, administrative assistants have to open and distribute incoming correspondence, including faxes and email. They are often called upon to perform general office duties, such as ordering supplies, maintaining archives management database systems, and performing basic bookkeeping work. They are expected to answer phone calls and direct calls to appropriate parties or take messages. Finally, administrative assistants read and analyze incoming memos and reports to establish their significance and plan their distribution.
Every day, administrative assistants are expected to be able to see details at a very fine level of focus. They need to read and understand documents and reports. It is also important that they articulate ideas and problems.
It is important for administrative assistants to ready agendas and make arrangements, such as coordinating catering for luncheons and other meetings. They are often called upon to schedule and direct office services, such as archives and housekeeping, to assist executives. They also furnish clerical support to other departments. They are sometimes expected to conduct research and ready papers for consideration and presentation by executives, committees and boards of directors. Somewhat less frequently, administrative assistants are also expected to perform general office duties, such as ordering supplies, maintaining archives management database systems, and performing basic bookkeeping work.
Administrative assistants sometimes are asked to make travel arrangements for executives. and oversee and maintain executives' schedules. And finally, they sometimes have to process payroll data.
Like many other jobs, administrative assistants must have exceptional integrity and be thorough and dependable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Midland include:
- Legal Secretary. Perform secretarial duties utilizing legal terminology, procedures, and documents. Prepare legal papers and correspondence, such as summonses, complaints, and subpoenas. May also assist with legal research.
- Medical Secretary. Perform secretarial duties utilizing specific knowledge of medical terminology and hospital, clinic, or laboratory procedures. Duties include scheduling appointments, billing patients, and compiling and recording medical charts, reports, and correspondence.
- Municipal Clerk. Draft agendas and bylaws for town or city council; record minutes of council meetings; answer official correspondence; keep fiscal records and accounts; and prepare reports on civic needs.
- Office Machine Operator. Operate one or more of a variety of office machines, such as photocopying, photographic, and duplicating machines, or other office machines.
- Procurement Clerk. Compile information and records to draw up purchase orders for procurement of materials and services.
- Secretary. Perform routine clerical and administrative functions such as drafting correspondence, scheduling appointments, organizing and maintaining paper and electronic files, or providing information to callers.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Administrative Assistant Training
Odessa College - Odessa, TX
Odessa College, 201 W University, Odessa, TX 79764. Odessa College is a small college located in Odessa, Texas. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 3,808 students. Odessa College has 2 areas of study related to Administrative Assistant. They are:
- Medical Administrative/Executive Assistant & Medical Secretary, less than one year, one to two year, and associate's degree which graduated zero, zero, and three students respectively in 2008.
- Administrative Assistant and Secretarial Science, less than one year, one to two year, and associate's degree which graduated five, three, and zero students respectively in 2008.
American Commercial College-Odessa - Odessa, TX
American Commercial College-Odessa, 5119 Twin Towers, Odessa, TX 79762. American Commercial College-Odessa is a small college located in Odessa, Texas. It is a private for-profit school with primarily less-than 2-year programs and has 77 students. American Commercial College-Odessa has 2 areas of study related to Administrative Assistant. They are:
- Medical Administrative/Executive Assistant & Medical Secretary, less than one year which graduated 12 students in 2008.
- Administrative Assistant and Secretarial Science, less than one year which graduated 2 students in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Midland, Texas
Midland is situated in Midland County, Texas. It has a population of over 106,561, which has grown by 12.2% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Midland, 80, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in Midland cost $117,500 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, four hundred eighty-three new homes were built in Midland, down from five hundred fourteen the previous year.
The three big industries for women in Midland are health care, educational services, and mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction. For men, it is mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction, construction, and health care. The average commute to work is about 17 minutes. More than 27.2% of Midland residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 7.0%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Midland is 5.7%, which is less than Texas's average of 8.1%.
The percentage of Midland residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 61.5%, is more than both the national and state average. Alamo Heights Church, Ellis Chapel North Church and Primera Iglesia Bautista Church are among the churches located in Midland. The most common religious groups are the Southern Baptist Convention, the Catholic Church and the United Methodist Church.
Midland is home to the Windmill Number Three and the Ranchland Hills Country Club as well as Tolbert Park and Doug Russell Park. Visitors to Midland can choose from Best Inn & Suites - Harrys Bar & Grill, Bradford Inn and Budget Inn for temporary stays in the area.