Career and Education Opportunities for Math Professors in Midland, Texas
If you want to be a math professor, the Midland, Texas area offers many opportunities both for education and employment. In general, math professors teach courses pertaining to mathematical concepts, statistics, and actuarial science and to the application of original and standardized mathematical techniques in solving specific problems and situations.
The average wage in the general category of Postsecondary Education jobs is $21 per hour or $63,640 per year in Texas, and an average of $23 per hour or $64,226 per year nationwide. Math professors earn less than people working in the category of Postsecondary Education generally in Texas and less than people in the Postsecondary Education category nationally. Jobs in this field include: statistical methods teacher, mathematics teacher, and math instructor.
The Midland area is home to five schools of higher education, including three within twenty-five miles of Midland where you can get a degree as a math professor. Given that the most common education level for math professors is a Master's degree, you can expect to spend about six years studying to be a math professor if you already have a high school diploma, or just 2 years if you have a Bachelor's degree.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Math Professor
In general, math professors teach courses pertaining to mathematical concepts, statistics, and actuarial science and to the application of original and standardized mathematical techniques in solving specific problems and situations.
Math professors ready course materials such as syllabi and handouts. They also maintain student attendance records and other required records. Equally important, math professors have to evaluate and grade students' class work and papers. They are often called upon to compile and grade examinations, or assign this work to others. They are expected to formulate and revise curricula, course content, and course materials and methods of instruction. Finally, math professors serve on academic or administrative committees that deal with institutional policies and academic issues.
Every day, math professors are expected to be able to articulate ideas and problems. They need to speak clearly. It is also important that they listen to and understand others in meetings.
It is important for math professors to participate in student recruitment and placement efforts. They are often called upon to ready and deliver lectures to undergraduate or graduate students on topics such as linear algebra and discrete mathematics. They also write grant proposals to procure external research funding. They are sometimes expected to furnish professional consulting services to government or industry. Somewhat less frequently, math professors are also expected to serve on academic or administrative committees that deal with institutional policies and academic issues.
Math professors sometimes are asked to conduct research in a particular field of knowledge and publish findings in books or electronic media. and participate in campus and community events. And finally, they sometimes have to compile bibliographies of specialized materials for outside reading assignments.
Like many other jobs, math professors must be reliable and have exceptional integrity.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Midland include:
- Agriculture Professor. Teach courses in the agricultural sciences. Includes teachers of agronomy, dairy sciences, and agricultural soil conservation.
- Communication Professor. Teach courses in communications, such as organizational communications, public relations, radio/television broadcasting, and journalism.
- Computer Science Professor. Teach courses in computer science. May specialize in a field of computer science.
- English Professor. Teach courses in English language and literature, including linguistics and comparative literature.
- Farm Management Adviser. Advise, instruct, and assist individuals and families engaged in agriculture, agricultural-related processes, or home economics activities. Demonstrate procedures and apply research findings to solve problems; instruct and train in product development, sales, and the utilization of machinery and equipment to promote general welfare. Includes county agricultural agents, feed and farm management advisers, home economists, and extension service advisors.
- Graduate Research Assistant. Assist department chairperson, faculty members, or other professional staff members in college or university by performing teaching or teaching-related duties, such as teaching lower level courses, developing teaching materials, preparing and giving examinations, and grading examinations or papers. Graduate assistants must be enrolled in a graduate school program. Graduate assistants who primarily perform non-teaching duties, such as laboratory research, should be reported in the occupational category related to the work performed.
- Nursing Professor. Demonstrate and teach patient care in classroom and clinical units to nursing students. Includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of both teaching and research.
- Physical Education Professor. Teach courses pertaining to recreation, leisure, and fitness studies, including exercise physiology and facilities management.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Math Professor Training
Odessa College - Odessa, TX
Odessa College, 201 W University, Odessa, TX 79764. Odessa College is a small college located in Odessa, Texas. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 3,808 students. Odessa College has an associate's degree program in Mathematics.
The University of Texas of the Permian Basin - Odessa, TX
The University of Texas of the Permian Basin, 4901 E University, Odessa, TX 79762-0001. The University of Texas of the Permian Basin is a small university located in Odessa, Texas. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 3,560 students and an admission rate of 98%. The University of Texas of the Permian Basin has a bachelor's degree program in Mathematics which graduated one student in 2008.
Midland College - Midland, TX
Midland College, 3600 N Garfield, Midland, TX 79705. Midland College is a medium sized college located in Midland, Texas. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs and has 4,372 students. Midland College has an associate's degree program in Mathematics which graduated three students in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Midland, Texas
Midland is situated in Midland County, Texas. It has a population of over 106,561, which has grown by 12.2% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Midland, 80, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in Midland cost $117,500 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, four hundred eighty-three new homes were built in Midland, down from five hundred fourteen the previous year.
The three big industries for women in Midland are health care, educational services, and mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction. For men, it is mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction, construction, and health care. The average commute to work is about 17 minutes. More than 27.2% of Midland residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 7.0%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Midland is 5.7%, which is less than Texas's average of 8.1%.
The percentage of Midland residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 61.5%, is more than both the national and state average. Alamo Heights Church, Ellis Chapel North Church and Primera Iglesia Bautista Church are among the churches located in Midland. The most common religious groups are the Southern Baptist Convention, the Catholic Church and the United Methodist Church.
Midland is home to the Windmill Number Three and the Ranchland Hills Country Club as well as Tolbert Park and Doug Russell Park. Visitors to Midland can choose from Best Inn & Suites - Harrys Bar & Grill, Bradford Inn and Budget Inn for temporary stays in the area.