Career and Education Opportunities for Communication Professors in Midland, Texas
Many educational and employment opportunities exist for communication professors in the Midland, Texas area. Communication professors generally teach courses in communications, such as organizational communications, public relations, radio/television broadcasting, and journalism.
The average wage in the general category of Postsecondary Education jobs is $21 per hour or $63,640 per year in Texas, and an average of $23 per hour or $64,226 per year nationwide. Incomes for communication professors are not quite as good as in the overall category of Postsecondary Education in Texas, and not quite as good as the overall Postsecondary Education category nationally. Jobs in this field include: communications media professor, communication lecturer, and communications department head.
There are three schools within twenty-five miles of Midland where you can study to be a communication professor, among five schools of higher education total in the Midland area. Communication professors usually hold a Master's degree, so you can expect to spend about six years studying to be a communication professor if you already have a high school diploma, or just 2 years starting with a Bachelor's degree.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Communication Professor
In general, communication professors teach courses in communications, such as organizational communications, public relations, radio/television broadcasting, and journalism.
Communication professors evaluate and grade students' class work and papers. They also ready course materials such as syllabi and handouts. Equally important, communication professors have to keep abreast of developments in their field by reading current literature, talking with colleagues, and participating in professional conferences. They are often called upon to maintain student attendance records and other required records. They are expected to compile and grade examinations, or assign this work to others. Finally, communication professors compile bibliographies of specialized materials for outside reading assignments.
Every day, communication professors are expected to be able to speak clearly. They need to articulate ideas and problems. It is also important that they listen to and understand others in meetings.
It is important for communication professors to participate in student recruitment and placement efforts. They are often called upon to conduct research in a particular field of knowledge and publish findings in professional journals or electronic media. They also act as advisers to student organizations. They are sometimes expected to supervise undergraduate or graduate teaching, internship, and research work. Somewhat less frequently, communication professors are also expected to perform administrative duties such as serving as department head.
Communication professors sometimes are asked to formulate and revise curricula, course content and methods of instruction. They also have to be able to compile bibliographies of specialized materials for outside reading assignments and participate in campus and community events. And finally, they sometimes have to furnish professional consulting services to government or industry.
Like many other jobs, communication professors must be reliable and have exceptional integrity.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Midland include:
- Agriculture Professor. Teach courses in the agricultural sciences. Includes teachers of agronomy, dairy sciences, and agricultural soil conservation.
- Computer Science Professor. Teach courses in computer science. May specialize in a field of computer science.
- English Professor. Teach courses in English language and literature, including linguistics and comparative literature.
- Graduate Research Assistant. Assist department chairperson, faculty members, or other professional staff members in college or university by performing teaching or teaching-related duties, such as teaching lower level courses, developing teaching materials, preparing and giving examinations, and grading examinations or papers. Graduate assistants must be enrolled in a graduate school program. Graduate assistants who primarily perform non-teaching duties, such as laboratory research, should be reported in the occupational category related to the work performed.
- Math Professor. Teach courses pertaining to mathematical concepts, statistics, and actuarial science and to the application of original and standardized mathematical techniques in solving specific problems and situations.
- Nursing Professor. Demonstrate and teach patient care in classroom and clinical units to nursing students. Includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of both teaching and research.
- Physical Education Professor. Teach courses pertaining to recreation, leisure, and fitness studies, including exercise physiology and facilities management.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Communication Professor Training
Odessa College - Odessa, TX
Odessa College, 201 W University, Odessa, TX 79764. Odessa College is a small college located in Odessa, Texas. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 3,808 students. Odessa College has 2 areas of study related to Communication Professor. They are:
- Mass Communication/Media Studies, associate's degree which graduated 1 student in 2008.
- Radio and Television, associate's degree.
The University of Texas of the Permian Basin - Odessa, TX
The University of Texas of the Permian Basin, 4901 E University, Odessa, TX 79762-0001. The University of Texas of the Permian Basin is a small university located in Odessa, Texas. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 3,560 students and an admission rate of 98%. The University of Texas of the Permian Basin has a bachelor's degree program in Communication Studies/Speech Communication and Rhetoric.
Midland College - Midland, TX
Midland College, 3600 N Garfield, Midland, TX 79705. Midland College is a medium sized college located in Midland, Texas. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs and has 4,372 students. Midland College has an associate's degree program in Journalism.
Accreditation in Public Relations: APR certification proves you have successfully demonstrated competency in the knowledge, skills and abilities required to practice public relations effectively in today's business arena.
For more information, see the Public Relations Society of America website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Midland, Texas
Midland is situated in Midland County, Texas. It has a population of over 106,561, which has grown by 12.2% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Midland, 80, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in Midland cost $117,500 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, four hundred eighty-three new homes were built in Midland, down from five hundred fourteen the previous year.
The three big industries for women in Midland are health care, educational services, and mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction. For men, it is mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction, construction, and health care. The average commute to work is about 17 minutes. More than 27.2% of Midland residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 7.0%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Midland is 5.7%, which is less than Texas's average of 8.1%.
The percentage of Midland residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 61.5%, is more than both the national and state average. Alamo Heights Church, Ellis Chapel North Church and Primera Iglesia Bautista Church are among the churches located in Midland. The most common religious groups are the Southern Baptist Convention, the Catholic Church and the United Methodist Church.
Midland is home to the Windmill Number Three and the Ranchland Hills Country Club as well as Tolbert Park and Doug Russell Park. Visitors to Midland can choose from Best Inn & Suites - Harrys Bar & Grill, Bradford Inn and Budget Inn for temporary stays in the area.