Career and Education Opportunities for Legislators in Mesquite, Texas
Many educational and employment opportunities exist for legislators in the Mesquite, Texas area. Currently, 1,820 people work as legislators in Texas. This is expected to grow by 9% to 1,990 people by 2016. This is better than the national trend for legislators, which sees this job pool growing by about 0.7% over the next eight years. In general, legislators develop laws and statutes at the Federal, State, or local level.
The average wage in the general category of Specialized Management jobs is $37 per hour or $70,700 per year in Texas, and an average of $39 per hour or $74,363 per year nationwide. Earnings for legislators are not quite as good as earnings in the general category of Specialized Management in Texas and not quite as good as general Specialized Management category earnings nationally. Legislators work in a variety of jobs, including: city councilman, alderman, and tribal delegate.
There are seventy-six schools of higher education in the Mesquite area, including four within twenty-five miles of Mesquite where you can get a degree to start your career as a legislator.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Legislator
In general, legislators develop laws and statutes at the Federal, State, or local level.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Mesquite include:
- Construction Foreman. Plan, direct, or budget, usually through subordinate supervisory personnel, activities concerned with the construction and maintenance of structures, facilities, and systems. Participate in the conceptual development of a construction project and oversee its organization, scheduling, and implementation.
- Garden Center Manager. Plan, organize, direct, and coordinate activities of workers engaged in propagating, cultivating, and harvesting horticultural specialties, such as trees, shrubs, and other plants.
- Natural Resources Specialist. Plan, direct, or coordinate activities in such fields as life sciences, physical sciences, and research and development in these fields.
- Property Manager. Plan, direct, or coordinate selling, buying, or governance activities of commercial, industrial, or residential real estate properties.
- Social Service Coordinator. Plan, organize, or coordinate the activities of a social service program or community outreach organization. Oversee the program or organization's budget and policies regarding participant involvement, program requirements, and benefits. Work may involve directing social workers, counselors, or probation officers.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Legislator Training
Mountain View College - Dallas, TX
Mountain View College, 4849 W Illinois, Dallas, TX 75211-6599. Mountain View College is a medium sized college located in Dallas, Texas. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 7,126 students. Mountain View College has an associate's degree program in Public Administration.
The University of Texas at Dallas - Richardson, TX
The University of Texas at Dallas, 800 West Campbell Road, Richardson, TX 75080-3021. The University of Texas at Dallas is a large university located in Richardson, Texas. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 14,940 students and an admission rate of 54%. The University of Texas at Dallas has 2 areas of study related to Legislator. They are:
- Public Administration, bachelor's degree, postbaccalaureate certificate, master's degree, and doctor's degree which graduated thirty-one, eight, twenty-four, and seven students respectively in 2008.
- Public Policy Analysis, bachelor's degree, postbaccalaureate certificate, master's degree, and doctor's degree which graduated zero, two, one, and six students respectively in 2008.
Southern Methodist University - Dallas, TX
Southern Methodist University, 6425 Boaz St, Dallas, TX 75275-0221. Southern Methodist University is a large university located in Dallas, Texas. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 10,965 students and an admission rate of 50%. Southern Methodist University has a bachelor's degree program in Public Policy Analysis which graduated eleven students in 2008.
University of Phoenix-Dallas Fort Worth Campus - Dallas, TX
University of Phoenix-Dallas Fort Worth Campus, 12400 Coit Road, Churchill Towers, Suite 200, Dallas, TX 75251-2009. University of Phoenix-Dallas Fort Worth Campus is a small university located in Dallas, Texas. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs and has 1,198 students. University of Phoenix-Dallas Fort Worth Campus has a bachelor's degree program in Public Administration and Social Service Professions, Other Specialties which graduated one student in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Mesquite, Texas
Mesquite is situated in Dallas County, Texas. It has a population of over 132,123, which has grown by 6.1% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Mesquite, 89, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in Mesquite cost $155,500 on average, which is well below the state average. In 2008, sixty-four new homes were constructed in Mesquite, down from one hundred thirty-two the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Mesquite are health care, educational services, and finance and insurance. For men, it is construction, professional, scientific, and technical services, and administrative and support and waste management services. The average travel time to work is about 29 minutes. More than 18.5% of Mesquite residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 5.5%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Mesquite is 8.2%, which is greater than Texas's average of 8.1%.
The percentage of Mesquite residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 55.1%, is more than the national average but less than the state average. Pentecostal Church of God Christian Assembly, Central Assembly of God Church and Prairie Creek Bible Baptist Church are among the churches located in Mesquite. The most common religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Southern Baptist Convention and the United Methodist Church.
Mesquite is home to the Light Crust Doughboys Hall of Fame Museum and the Town East Centre as well as Mesquite Memorial Stadium and Tosch Park. Visitors to Mesquite can choose from Chet' s Electronic Lock & Repair, Big Town Inn and Classic Inn for temporary stays in the area.