Career and Education Opportunities for Craftsmen in Mesquite, Texas
There are many career and education opportunities for craftsmen in the Mesquite, Texas area. Currently, 510 people work as craftsmen in Texas. This is expected to grow 28% to about 660 people by 2016. This is better than the national trend for craftsmen, which sees this job pool growing by about 7.2% over the next eight years. Craftsmen generally create or reproduce hand-made objects for sale and exhibition using a variety of techniques, such as welding, weaving, and needlecraft.
The income of a craftsman is about $13 per hour or $28,570 annually on average in Texas. In the U.S. as a whole, their income is about $13 per hour or $29,080 annually on average. Earnings for craftsmen are not quite as good as earnings in the general category of Art and Design in Texas and not quite as good as general Art and Design category earnings nationally. Craftsmen work in a variety of jobs, including: designer, creative designer, and ceramics sculptor.
There are three schools within twenty-five miles of Mesquite where you can study to be a craftsman, among seventy-six schools of higher education total in the Mesquite area. Craftsmen usually hold a high school diploma or GED, so you can expect to spend only a short time studying to be a craftsman if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Craftsman
In general, craftsmen create or reproduce hand-made objects for sale and exhibition using a variety of techniques, such as welding, weaving, and needlecraft.
Craftsmen develop functional or decorative objects by hand, using a variety of methods and materials. They also design product packaging, display and pricing strategies. Equally important, craftsmen have to attend craft shows to market products. They are often called upon to advertise products and work, using media such as internet advertising and brochures. They are expected to design creative concepts for craft objects. Finally, craftsmen fabricate patterns or templates to guide craft production.
Every day, craftsmen are expected to be able to control and manipulate objects at a fine level of detail. They need to control objects and devices with precise control. It is also important that they move quickly in order to hold onto or control objects and devices.
It is important for craftsmen to apply finishes to objects being crafted. They are often called upon to design designs using specialized computer software. Somewhat less frequently, craftsmen are also expected to research craft trends and customer buying patterns so as to inspire designs and marketing strategies.
Craftsmen sometimes are asked to develop prototypes or models of objects to be crafted. And finally, they sometimes have to talk with customers to gauge customer needs or obtain feedback.
Like many other jobs, craftsmen must be thorough and dependable and believe in innovation and creative thought.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Mesquite include:
- Art Director. Formulate design concepts and presentation approaches, and direct workers engaged in art work, layout design, and copy writing for visual communications media, such as magazines, books, and packaging.
- Display Specialist. Plan and erect commercial displays.
- Fashion Designer. Design clothing and accessories. Create original garments or design garments that follow well established fashion trends. May develop the line of color and kinds of materials.
- Fine Artist. Create original artwork using any of a wide variety of mediums and techniques.
- Florist. Design, cut, and arrange live, dried, or artificial flowers and foliage.
- Graphic Designer. Design or create graphics to meet specific commercial or promotional needs, such as packaging, displays, or logos. May use a variety of mediums to achieve artistic or decorative effects.
- Industrial Designer. Develop and design manufactured products, such as cars, home appliances, and children's toys. Combine artistic talent with research on product use, marketing, and materials to create the most functional and appealing product design.
- Interior Designer. Plan, design, and furnish interiors of residential, commercial, or industrial buildings. Formulate design which is practical, aesthetic, and conducive to intended purposes, such as raising productivity, selling merchandise, or improving life style. May specialize in a particular field, style, or phase of interior design.
- Multi-Media Artist or Animator. Create special effects, animation, or other visual images using film, video, or other electronic tools and media for use in products or creations, such as computer games, movies, and commercials.
- Set and Exhibit Designer. Design special exhibits and movie, television, and theater sets. May study scripts, confer with directors, and conduct research to determine appropriate architectural styles.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Craftsman Training
Dallas Baptist University - Dallas, TX
Dallas Baptist University, 3000 Mountain Creek Parkway, Dallas, TX 75211-9299. Dallas Baptist University is a medium sized university located in Dallas, Texas. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 5,297 students and an admission rate of 47%. Dallas Baptist University has a bachelor's degree and a master's degree program in Art/Art Studies which graduated one and one students respectively in 2008.
University of Dallas - Irving, TX
University of Dallas, 1845 E Northgate Drive, Irving, TX 75062-4736. University of Dallas is a small university located in Irving, Texas. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 2,977 students and an admission rate of 91%. University of Dallas has 4 areas of study related to Craftsman. They are:
- Painting, bachelor's degree and master's degree which graduated two and two students respectively in 2008.
- Sculpture, bachelor's degree and master's degree which graduated one and one students respectively in 2008.
- Printmaking, bachelor's degree and master's degree which graduated two and three students respectively in 2008.
- Ceramic Arts and Ceramics, bachelor's degree and master's degree which graduated one and four students respectively in 2008.
The University of Texas at Dallas - Richardson, TX
The University of Texas at Dallas, 800 West Campbell Road, Richardson, TX 75080-3021. The University of Texas at Dallas is a large university located in Richardson, Texas. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 14,940 students and an admission rate of 54%. The University of Texas at Dallas has a bachelor's degree program in Visual and Performing Arts which graduated forty-eight students in 2008.
Certified Decorative Artist: The Certified Decorative Artist applicant must pay the required fees and submit one piece of work for judging.
For more information, see the Society of Decorative Painters website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Mesquite, Texas
Mesquite is situated in Dallas County, Texas. It has a population of over 132,123, which has grown by 6.1% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Mesquite, 89, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in Mesquite cost $155,500 on average, which is well below the state average. In 2008, sixty-four new homes were constructed in Mesquite, down from one hundred thirty-two the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Mesquite are health care, educational services, and finance and insurance. For men, it is construction, professional, scientific, and technical services, and administrative and support and waste management services. The average travel time to work is about 29 minutes. More than 18.5% of Mesquite residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 5.5%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Mesquite is 8.2%, which is greater than Texas's average of 8.1%.
The percentage of Mesquite residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 55.1%, is more than the national average but less than the state average. Pentecostal Church of God Christian Assembly, Central Assembly of God Church and Prairie Creek Bible Baptist Church are among the churches located in Mesquite. The most common religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Southern Baptist Convention and the United Methodist Church.
Mesquite is home to the Light Crust Doughboys Hall of Fame Museum and the Town East Centre as well as Mesquite Memorial Stadium and Tosch Park. Visitors to Mesquite can choose from Chet' s Electronic Lock & Repair, Big Town Inn and Classic Inn for temporary stays in the area.