Career and Education Opportunities for Statement Clerks in McKinney, Texas
Statement clerks can find both educational opportunities and jobs in the McKinney, Texas area. The national trend for statement clerks sees this job pool growing by about 15.3% over the next eight years. Statement clerks generally prepare and distribute bank statements to customers, answer inquiries, and reconcile discrepancies in records and accounts.
Statement clerks earn approximately $14 hourly or $29,720 annually on average in Texas. Nationally they average about $14 hourly or $30,950 annually. Earnings for statement clerks are better than earnings in the general category of Billing and Bookkeeping in Texas and better than general Billing and Bookkeeping category earnings nationally.
The McKinney area is home to fifteen schools of higher education, including one within twenty-five miles of McKinney where you can get a degree as a statement clerk. The most common level of education for statement clerks is some college courses. It will take a short time to learn to be a statement clerk if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Statement Clerk
In general, statement clerks prepare and distribute bank statements to customers, answer inquiries, and reconcile discrepancies in records and accounts.
Every day, statement clerks are expected to be able to articulate ideas and problems. They need to listen to and understand others in meetings. It is also important that they see details at a very fine level of focus.
It is important for statement clerks to match statements with batches of canceled checks by account numbers. They are often called upon to compare previously prepared bank statements with canceled checks, and reconcile discrepancies. They also fix minor problems, such as equipment jams, and notify repair personnel of major equipment problems. They are sometimes expected to route statements for mailing or over-the-counter delivery to customers. Somewhat less frequently, statement clerks are also expected to retrieve checks returned to customers in error, adjusting customer accounts and answering inquiries about errors as needed.
They also have to be able to weigh envelopes containing statements in order to establish correct postage and affix postage using stamps or metering equipment and verify signatures and required data on checks. And finally, they sometimes have to maintain files of canceled checks and customers' signatures.
Like many other jobs, statement clerks must be thorough and dependable and be reliable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in McKinney include:
- Bookkeeper. Compute, classify, and record numerical data to keep financial records complete. Perform any combination of routine calculating, posting, and verifying duties to obtain primary financial data for use in maintaining accounting records. May also check the accuracy of figures, calculations, and postings pertaining to business transactions recorded by other workers.
- Clerk. Compile data, compute fees and charges, and prepare invoices for billing purposes. Duties include computing costs and calculating rates for goods, services, and shipment of goods; posting data; and keeping other relevant records. May involve use of computer or typewriter, calculator, and adding and bookkeeping machines.
- Gaming Cashier. Conduct financial transactions for patrons in gaming establishments. May reconcile daily summaries of transactions to balance books. Accept patron's credit application and verify credit references to provide check-cashing authorization or to establish house credit accounts. May sell gambling chips, tokens, or tickets to patrons, or to other workers for resale to patrons. May convert gaming chips, tokens, or tickets to currency upon patron's request. May use a cash register or computer to record transaction.
- Medical Secretary. Perform secretarial duties utilizing specific knowledge of medical terminology and hospital, clinic, or laboratory procedures. Duties include scheduling appointments, billing patients, and compiling and recording medical charts, reports, and correspondence.
- Payroll Machine Operator. Operate machines that automatically perform mathematical processes, such as addition, subtraction, and division, to calculate and record billing, accounting, and other numerical data. Duties include operating special billing machines to prepare statements, bills, and invoices, and operating bookkeeping machines to copy and post data, make computations, and compile records of transactions.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Statement Clerk Training
ITT Technical Institute-Richardson - Richardson, TX
ITT Technical Institute-Richardson, 2101 Waterview Pky, Richardson, TX 75080. ITT Technical Institute-Richardson is a small school located in Richardson, Texas. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 2-year programs. It has 705 students and an admission rate of 46%. ITT Technical Institute-Richardson has an associate's degree program in Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping.
Certified Medical Coder: Experienced medical office professionals with exceptional coding skills are eligible to sit for the Certified Medical Coder (CMC) exam.
For more information, see the Practice Management Institute website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: McKinney, Texas
Mckinney is situated in Collin County, Texas. It has a population of over 121,211, which has grown by 122.9% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Mckinney, 90, is below the national average. New single-family homes in Mckinney are valued at $168,500 on average, which is below the state average. In 2008, nine hundred eighty-seven new homes were built in Mckinney, down from 1,662 the previous year.
The top three industries for women in Mckinney are health care, educational services, and professional, scientific, and technical services. For men, it is construction, computer and electronic products, and professional, scientific, and technical services. The average commute to work is about 27 minutes. More than 39.1% of Mckinney residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 10.3%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Mckinney is 7.8%, which is less than Texas's average of 8.1%.
The percentage of Mckinney residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 53.7%, is more than the national average but less than the state average. Redeemer Presbyterian Church, Eternity Community Church and Church of Christ are some of the churches located in Mckinney. The most common religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Southern Baptist Convention and the United Methodist Church.
Mckinney is home to the Estes House and the A M Scott House as well as Mouzon Park and Murphy Park.