Career and Education Opportunities for Mechanical Engineers in McAllen, Texas
McAllen, Texas provides a wide variety of opportunities, both career and educational, for mechanical engineers. About 15,970 people are currently employed as mechanical engineers in Texas. By 2016, this is expected to grow by 18% to 18,870 people employed. This is better than the nation as a whole, where employment opportunities for mechanical engineers are expected to grow by about 6.0%. Mechanical engineers generally perform engineering duties in planning and designing tools, engines, and other mechanically functioning equipment.
A person working as a mechanical engineer can expect to earn about $39 hourly or $81,230 yearly on average in Texas and about $36 per hour or $74,920 yearly on average in the U.S. as a whole. Earnings for mechanical engineers are not quite as good as earnings in the general category of Engineering in Texas and not quite as good as general Engineering category earnings nationally. People working as mechanical engineers can fill a number of jobs, such as: servomechanism designer, tool designer, and weapons engineer.
There are nine schools of higher education in the McAllen area, including one within twenty-five miles of McAllen where you can get a degree to start your career as a mechanical engineer. Given that the most common education level for mechanical engineers is a Bachelor's degree, you can expect to spend about four years studying to be a mechanical engineer if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Mechanical Engineer
In general, mechanical engineers perform engineering duties in planning and designing tools, engines, and other mechanically functioning equipment. They also oversee installation, operation, and repair of such equipment as centralized heat, gas, and steam systems.
Mechanical engineers read and interpret blueprints, technical drawings and computer-generated reports. They also design and test models of alternate designs and processing methods to gauge feasibility, operating condition effects, possible new applications and necessity of modification. Equally important, mechanical engineers have to conduct research that tests and analyzes the feasibility, layout, operation and effectiveness of equipment, components and systems. Finally, mechanical engineers specify system components or direct modification of products to insure conformance with engineering layout and performance specifications.
Every day, mechanical engineers are expected to be able to think through problems and come up with general rules. They need to listen to and understand others in meetings. It is also important that they read and understand documents and reports.
It is important for mechanical engineers to talk with engineers and other personnel to execute operating procedures, resolve system malfunctions, and furnish technical data. They are often called upon to recommend layout modifications to remove machine or system malfunctions. They also research and maintain mechanical products, equipment, systems and processes to fit requirements, applying knowledge of engineering principles. They are sometimes expected to assist drafters in developing the structural layout of products using drafting tools or computer-assisted layout (CAD) or drafting equipment and software. Somewhat less frequently, mechanical engineers are also expected to estimate costs and submit bids for engineering or extraction projects, and ready contract documents.
Mechanical engineers sometimes are asked to layout test control apparatus and equipment and develop processes for testing products. They also have to be able to research and analyze customer layout proposals and other data to review the feasibility and maintenance requirements of designs or applications and solicit new business and furnish technical customer service. And finally, they sometimes have to solicit new business and furnish technical customer service.
Like many other jobs, mechanical engineers must be thorough and dependable and be able to absorb the factors involved and a problem and provide a well thought out solution.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in McAllen include:
- Architectural Drafter. Prepare detailed drawings of architectural designs and plans for buildings and structures according to specifications provided by architect.
- Civil Draftsman. Prepare drawings and topographical and relief maps used in civil engineering projects, such as highways, bridges, pipelines, flood control projects, and water and sewerage control systems.
- Computer Engineer. Research, design, and test computer or computer-related equipment for commercial, industrial, or scientific use. May supervise the manufacturing and installation of computer or computer-related equipment and components.
- Electrical Engineer. Design, develop, or supervise the manufacturing and installation of electrical equipment, components, or systems for commercial, industrial, or scientific use.
- Electronics Engineer. Research, design, and test electronic components and systems for commercial, industrial, or scientific use utilizing knowledge of electronic theory and materials properties. Design electronic circuits and components for use in fields such as telecommunications, aerospace guidance and propulsion control, acoustics, or instruments and controls.
- Electronics Engineering Technician. Lay out, build, and modify developmental and production electronic components, parts, and systems, such as computer equipment, missile control instrumentation, electron tubes, and machine tool numerical controls, applying principles and theories of electronics, electrical circuitry, engineering mathematics, electronic and electrical testing, and physics. Usually work under direction of engineering staff.
- Equipment Engineering Technician. Apply electrical theory and related knowledge to test and modify developmental or operational electrical machinery and electrical control equipment and circuitry in industrial or commercial plants and laboratories. Usually work under direction of engineering staff.
- Industrial Engineer. Design, develop, and evaluate integrated systems for managing industrial production processes including human work factors, quality control, inventory control, logistics and material flow, cost analysis, and production coordination.
- Manufacturing Engineer. Apply knowledge of materials and engineering theory and methods to design, integrate, and improve manufacturing systems or related processes. May work with commercial or industrial designers to refine product designs to increase producibility and decrease costs.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Mechanical Engineer Training
The University of Texas-Pan American - Edinburg, TX
The University of Texas-Pan American, 1201 W University Dr, Edinburg, TX 78539-2999. The University of Texas-Pan American is a large university located in Edinburg, Texas. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 17,584 students and an admission rate of 64%. The University of Texas-Pan American has a bachelor's degree and a master's degree program in Mechanical Engineering which graduated sixty-two and five students respectively in 2008.
Planning and Scheduling Professional: The PSP certification is to recognize specialists who meet a demanding set of planning and scheduling criteria by a rigorous examination, experience, education and ethical qualificaion.
For more information, see the AACE International (Association for the Advancement of Cost Engineering through total cost management) website.
Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing Professional - Technologist: ASME GDTP Certification provides the means to recognize proficiency in the understanding and application of the geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (GD&T) principles expressed in the ASME Y14.
For more information, see the American Society of Mechanical Engineers International website.
Certified in Plumbing Design: The Certified in Plumbing Design (CPD) program is an international certification program for engineers and designers of plumbing systems.
For more information, see the American Society of Plumbing Engineers website.
Certified Associate in Materials Handling: MHMS is proud to offer a professional certification program for its members.
For more information, see the Materials Handling and Management Society website.
PV Installer Certification: The target candidate for NABCEP certification is the person responsible for the system installation (e.
For more information, see the North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: McAllen, Texas
Mcallen is located in Hidalgo County, Texas. It has a population of over 129,776, which has grown by 22.0% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Mcallen, 81, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in Mcallen cost $174,400 on average, which is near the state average. In 2008, five hundred seventy-three new homes were constructed in Mcallen, down from seven hundred fifty-four the previous year.
The top three industries for women in Mcallen are educational services, health care, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is construction, educational services, and health care. The average travel time to work is about 19 minutes. More than 23.6% of Mcallen residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 8.7%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Mcallen is 7.4%, which is less than Texas's average of 8.1%.
The percentage of Mcallen residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 50.4%, is more than the national average but less than the state average. Emmanuel Baptist Church, Family of Faith Fellowship Church and First Missionary Baptist Church are some of the churches located in Mcallen. The largest religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Southern Baptist Convention and the United Methodist Church.
Mcallen is home to the Sam and Marjorie Miller House and the McAllen Memorial Library as well as Schupp Park and Archer Park. Shopping centers in the area include Las Tiendas Plaza Shopping Center and La Plaza Shopping Center.