Career and Education Opportunities for Legislators in Lubbock, Texas
Legislator career and educational opportunities abound in Lubbock, Texas. Currently, 1,820 people work as legislators in Texas. This is expected to grow 9% to 1,990 people by 2016. This is better than the nation as a whole, where employment opportunities for legislators are expected to grow by about 0.7%. In general, legislators develop laws and statutes at the Federal, State, or local level.
The average wage in the general category of Specialized Management jobs is $37 per hour or $70,700 per year in Texas, and an average of $39 per hour or $74,363 per year nationwide. Earnings for legislators are not quite as good as earnings in the general category of Specialized Management in Texas and not quite as good as general Specialized Management category earnings nationally. Legislators work in a variety of jobs, including: assemblyman or woman, tribal delegate, and city alderman.
The Lubbock area is home to nine schools of higher education, including one within twenty-five miles of Lubbock where you can get a degree as a legislator.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Legislator
In general, legislators develop laws and statutes at the Federal, State, or local level.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Lubbock include:
- Construction Foreman. Plan, direct, or budget, usually through subordinate supervisory personnel, activities concerned with the construction and maintenance of structures, facilities, and systems. Participate in the conceptual development of a construction project and oversee its organization, scheduling, and implementation.
- Garden Center Manager. Plan, organize, direct, and coordinate activities of workers engaged in propagating, cultivating, and harvesting horticultural specialties, such as trees, shrubs, and other plants.
- Natural Resources Specialist. Plan, direct, or coordinate activities in such fields as life sciences, physical sciences, and research and development in these fields.
- Property Manager. Plan, direct, or coordinate selling, buying, or governance activities of commercial, industrial, or residential real estate properties.
- Social Service Coordinator. Plan, organize, or coordinate the activities of a social service program or community outreach organization. Oversee the program or organization's budget and policies regarding participant involvement, program requirements, and benefits. Work may involve directing social workers, counselors, or probation officers.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Legislator Training
Texas Tech University - Lubbock, TX
Texas Tech University, Broadway and University Avenue, Lubbock, TX 79409-5005. Texas Tech University is a large university located in Lubbock, Texas. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 28,422 students and an admission rate of 72%. Texas Tech University has a master's degree program in Public Administration which graduated thirteen students in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Lubbock, Texas
Lubbock is situated in Lubbock County, Texas. It has a population of over 220,483, which has grown by 10.5% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Lubbock, 79, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in Lubbock are priced at $171,700 on average, which is below the state average. In 2008, nine hundred twenty-nine new homes were constructed in Lubbock, up from eight hundred eighty the previous year.
The top three industries for women in Lubbock are health care, educational services, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is educational services, construction, and accommodation and food services. The average commute to work is about 16 minutes. More than 26.6% of Lubbock residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 9.3%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Lubbock is 5.3%, which is less than Texas's average of 8.1%.
The percentage of Lubbock residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 59.7%, is more than both the national and state average. Pentecostal Holiness Church, Philia Temple Church of God and Christ and Pilgrim Baptist Church are all churches located in Lubbock. The most common religious groups are the Southern Baptist Convention, the Catholic Church and the United Methodist Church.
Lubbock is home to the South Overton Residential Historic District and the Kress Building as well as Lowery Field and Rocky Johnson Field. Visitors to Lubbock can choose from Barcelonacourt of Lubbock, Circus Inn and Carriage House Inn & Suites for temporary stays in the area.