Career and Education Opportunities for Art Directors in Lubbock, Texas
Art directors can find both educational opportunities and jobs in the Lubbock, Texas area. There are currently 4,130 jobs for art directors in Texas and this is projected to grow 13% to 4,680 jobs by 2016. This is better than the nation as a whole, where employment opportunities for art directors are expected to grow by about 11.7%. In general, art directors formulate design concepts and presentation approaches, and direct workers engaged in art work, layout design, and copy writing for visual communications media, such as magazines, books, and packaging.
Art directors earn about $33 hourly or $70,430 yearly on average in Texas and about $37 per hour or $76,980 per year on average nationally. Compared with people working in the overall category of Art and Design, people working as art directors in Texas earn more. They earn more than people working in the overall category of Art and Design nationally. People working as art directors can fill a number of jobs, such as: presentation specialist, arts manager, and product marketing manager.
There is one school within twenty-five miles of Lubbock where you can study to be an art director, among nine schools of higher education total in the Lubbock area. Art directors usually hold an Associate's, or other 2-year degree, so it will take about two years to learn to be an art director if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Art Director
In general, art directors formulate design concepts and presentation approaches, and direct workers engaged in art work, layout design, and copy writing for visual communications media, such as magazines, books, and packaging.
Art directors formulate basic layout designs and presentation approaches and specify material details, such as style and size of type. They also talk with creative or production department heads to consider client requirements and presentation concepts and to direct creative efforts. Equally important, art directors have to develop custom illustrations or other graphic elements. They are often called upon to inspect and approve art materials and proofs of printed copy developed by staff members. They are expected to inspect illustrative material to establish if it conforms to standards and specifications. Finally, art directors talk with clients to establish objectives and presentation approaches, styles, and techniques.
Every day, art directors are expected to be able to be creative and generate new ideas. They need to see details at a very fine level of focus.
It is important for art directors to mark up and complete layouts and write typography instructions to ready materials for typesetting or printing. They are often called upon to hire and direct staff members who develop layout concepts into art layouts or who ready layouts for printing. They also oversee own accounts and projects, working within budget and scheduling requirements. They are sometimes expected to attend photo shoots and printing sessions to insure that the products needed are obtained. Somewhat less frequently, art directors are also expected to ready detailed storyboards showing sequence and timing of story development for television production.
Art directors sometimes are asked to negotiate with printers and estimators to establish what services will be performed. and coordinate with creative directors to optimize layout solutions. And finally, they sometimes have to attend photo shoots and printing sessions to insure that the products needed are obtained.
Like many other jobs, art directors must be reliable and be thorough and dependable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Lubbock include:
- Audio Visual Technician. Set up or set up and operate audio and video equipment including microphones, sound speakers, video screens, projectors, video monitors, recording equipment, connecting wires and cables, sound and mixing boards, and related electronic equipment for concerts, sports events, meetings and conventions, presentations, and news conferences. May also set up and operate associated spotlights and other custom lighting systems.
- Craftsman. Create or reproduce hand-made objects for sale and exhibition using a variety of techniques, such as welding, weaving, and needlecraft.
- Director. Interpret script, conduct rehearsals, and direct activities of cast and technical crew for stage, motion pictures, or radio programs.
- Display Specialist. Plan and erect commercial displays.
- Fashion Designer. Design clothing and accessories. Create original garments or design garments that follow well established fashion trends. May develop the line of color and kinds of materials.
- Fine Artist. Create original artwork using any of a wide variety of mediums and techniques.
- Graphic Designer. Design or create graphics to meet specific commercial or promotional needs, such as packaging, displays, or logos. May use a variety of mediums to achieve artistic or decorative effects.
- Industrial Designer. Develop and design manufactured products, such as cars, home appliances, and children's toys. Combine artistic talent with research on product use, marketing, and materials to create the most functional and appealing product design.
- Interior Designer. Plan, design, and furnish interiors of residential, commercial, or industrial buildings. Formulate design which is practical, aesthetic, and conducive to intended purposes, such as raising productivity, selling merchandise, or improving life style. May specialize in a particular field, style, or phase of interior design.
- Multi-Media Artist or Animator. Create special effects, animation, or other visual images using film, video, or other electronic tools and media for use in products or creations, such as computer games, movies, and commercials.
- Music Composer. Write and transcribe musical scores.
- Music Director. Direct and conduct instrumental or vocal performances by musical groups.
- Public Relations Specialist. Engage in promoting or creating good will for individuals, groups, or organizations by writing or selecting favorable publicity material and releasing it through various communications media. May prepare and arrange displays, and make speeches.
- Set and Exhibit Designer. Design special exhibits and movie, television, and theater sets. May study scripts, confer with directors, and conduct research to determine appropriate architectural styles.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Art Director Training
Texas Tech University - Lubbock, TX
Texas Tech University, Broadway and University Avenue, Lubbock, TX 79409-5005. Texas Tech University is a large university located in Lubbock, Texas. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 28,422 students and an admission rate of 72%. Texas Tech University has a bachelor's degree program in Graphic Design which graduated eighteen students in 2008.
Certified Graphic Communication Manager: The In-Plant Printing and Mailing Association's (IPMA) Certified Graphic Communications Manager (CGCM) designation was created in 1976 to establish a professional standard of proficiency for the in-house graphic arts and printing management profession.
For more information, see the International Publishing Management Association website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Lubbock, Texas
Lubbock is situated in Lubbock County, Texas. It has a population of over 220,483, which has grown by 10.5% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Lubbock, 79, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in Lubbock are priced at $171,700 on average, which is below the state average. In 2008, nine hundred twenty-nine new homes were constructed in Lubbock, up from eight hundred eighty the previous year.
The top three industries for women in Lubbock are health care, educational services, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is educational services, construction, and accommodation and food services. The average commute to work is about 16 minutes. More than 26.6% of Lubbock residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 9.3%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Lubbock is 5.3%, which is less than Texas's average of 8.1%.
The percentage of Lubbock residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 59.7%, is more than both the national and state average. Pentecostal Holiness Church, Philia Temple Church of God and Christ and Pilgrim Baptist Church are all churches located in Lubbock. The most common religious groups are the Southern Baptist Convention, the Catholic Church and the United Methodist Church.
Lubbock is home to the South Overton Residential Historic District and the Kress Building as well as Lowery Field and Rocky Johnson Field. Visitors to Lubbock can choose from Barcelonacourt of Lubbock, Circus Inn and Carriage House Inn & Suites for temporary stays in the area.