Career and Education Opportunities for Legal Secretaries in Lewisville, Texas
There is a wide variety of career and education opportunities for legal secretaries in the Lewisville, Texas area. Currently, 14,770 people work as legal secretaries in Texas. This is expected to grow 18% to about 17,440 people by 2016. This is not quite as good as the national trend for legal secretaries, which sees this job pool growing by about 18.4% over the next eight years. Legal secretaries generally perform secretarial duties utilizing legal terminology, procedures, and documents.
Legal secretaries earn approximately $19 per hour or $40,260 annually on average in Texas. Nationally they average about $19 hourly or $39,860 per year. Legal secretaries earn more than people working in the category of Secretarial generally in Texas and more than people in the Secretarial category nationally.
There is one school within twenty-five miles of Lewisville where you can study to be a legal secretary, among eighty-eight schools of higher education total in the Lewisville area. The most common level of education for legal secretaries is an Associate's, or other 2-year degree. You can expect to spend about two years training to become a legal secretary if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Legal Secretary
In general, legal secretaries perform secretarial duties utilizing legal terminology, procedures, and documents. They also prepare legal papers and correspondence, such as summonses, complaints, and subpoenas.
Legal secretaries receive and place telephone calls. They also mail or manage delivery of legal correspondence to clients and court officials. Equally important, legal secretaries have to ready and process legal documents and papers, such as summonses and pretrial agreements. They are often called upon to make photocopies of correspondence and other printed matter. They are expected to schedule and make appointments. Finally, legal secretaries draft and type office memos.
Every day, legal secretaries are expected to be able to see details at a very fine level of focus. They need to listen to and understand others in meetings. It is also important that they read and understand documents and reports.
It is important for legal secretaries to organize and maintain law libraries and case files. They are often called upon to attend legal meetings, such as client interviews or depositions, and take notes. They also complete various forms, such as accident reports, trial and courtroom requests, and applications for clients. Somewhat less frequently, legal secretaries are also expected to submit articles and data from searches to attorneys for review and approval for use.
They also have to be able to inspect legal publications and perform database searches to pinpoint laws and court decisions relevant to pending cases And finally, they sometimes have to complete various forms, such as accident reports, trial and courtroom requests, and applications for clients.
Like many other jobs, legal secretaries must be thorough and dependable and have exceptional integrity.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Lewisville include:
- Administrative Assistant. Provide high-level administrative support by conducting research, preparing statistical reports, handling information requests, and performing clerical functions such as preparing correspondence, receiving visitors, arranging conference calls, and scheduling meetings. May also train and supervise lower-level clerical staff.
- Correspondence Clerk. Compose letters in reply to requests for merchandise, damage claims, credit and other information, delinquent accounts, or unsatisfactory services. Duties may include gathering data to formulate reply and typing correspondence.
- Courtroom Clerk. Perform clerical duties in court of law; prepare docket of cases to be called; secure information for judges; and contact witnesses, attorneys, and litigants to obtain information for court.
- Medical Secretary. Perform secretarial duties utilizing specific knowledge of medical terminology and hospital, clinic, or laboratory procedures. Duties include scheduling appointments, billing patients, and compiling and recording medical charts, reports, and correspondence.
- Office Clerk. Perform duties too varied and diverse to be classified in any specific office clerical occupation, requiring limited knowledge of office management systems and procedures. Clerical duties may be assigned in accordance with the office procedures of individual establishments and may include a combination of answering telephones, bookkeeping, typing or word processing, stenography, office machine operation, and filing.
- Office Machine Operator. Operate one or more of a variety of office machines, such as photocopying, photographic, and duplicating machines, or other office machines.
- Production Proofreader. Read transcript or proof type setup to detect and mark for correction any grammatical, typographical, or compositional errors.
- Secretary. Perform routine clerical and administrative functions such as drafting correspondence, scheduling appointments, organizing and maintaining paper and electronic files, or providing information to callers.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Legal Secretary Training
Central Texas Commercial College - Dallas, TX
Central Texas Commercial College, 9400 N Central Expy Ste 200, Dallas, TX 75231. Central Texas Commercial College is a small college located in Dallas, Texas. It is a private for-profit school with primarily less-than 2-year programs and has 55 students. Central Texas Commercial College has a one to two year program in Legal Administrative Assistant/Secretary which graduated ten students in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Lewisville, Texas
Lewisville is situated in Denton County, Texas. It has a population of over 101,624, which has grown by 30.7% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Lewisville, 91, is below the national average. New single-family homes in Lewisville cost $140,300 on average, which is well below the state average. In 2008, one hundred seventy-three new homes were built in Lewisville, down from three hundred thirty-seven the previous year.
The top three industries for women in Lewisville are educational services, health care, and professional, scientific, and technical services. For men, it is construction, professional, scientific, and technical services, and accommodation and food services. The average commute to work is about 27 minutes. More than 32.4% of Lewisville residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 7.1%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Lewisville is 6.7%, which is less than Texas's average of 8.1%.
The percentage of Lewisville residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 34.5%, is less than both the national and state average. Pentecostal Church of God, Cedar Crest Community Church and Prince of Peace Evangelical Lutheran Church are some of the churches located in Lewisville. The most common religious groups are the Southern Baptist Convention, the Catholic Church and the United Methodist Church.
Lewisville is home to Woods Park and East Hill Park. Visitors to Lewisville can choose from Accommodation Now, Best Western Inn & Suites and Baymont Inn & Suites for temporary stays in the area.