Career and Education Opportunities for Credit Investigators in Lewisville, Texas
Lewisville, Texas provides a wide variety of opportunities, both career and educational, for credit investigators. There are currently 5,960 jobs for credit investigators in Texas and this is projected to shrink 4% to about 5,720 jobs by 2016. This is not quite as good as the nation as a whole, where employment opportunities for credit investigators are expected to grow by about 2.8%. Credit investigators generally investigate history and credit standing of individuals or business establishments applying for credit.
A person working as a credit investigator can expect to earn about $14 hourly or $30,110 per year on average in Texas and about $14 per hour or $30,390 per year on average in the U.S. as a whole. Compared with people working in the overall category of Credit Authorization, people working as credit investigators in Texas earn more. They earn more than people working in the overall category of Credit Authorization nationally.
The Lewisville area is home to eighty-eight schools of higher education, including four within twenty-five miles of Lewisville where you can get a degree as a credit investigator. Credit investigators usually hold a high school diploma or GED, so it will take only a short time to learn to be a credit investigator if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Credit Investigator
In general, credit investigators investigate history and credit standing of individuals or business establishments applying for credit. They also telephone or write to credit departments of business and service establishments to obtain information about applicant's credit standing.
Every day, credit investigators are expected to be able to articulate ideas and problems. It is also important that they listen to and understand others in meetings.
It is important for credit investigators to ready reports of findings and recommendations, using typewriters or computers. They are often called upon to obtain data related to potential creditors from banks and other credit services, and furnish reciprocal data if requested. They also interview credit applicants by telephone or in person so as to obtain personal and financial data needed to finish credit report. Somewhat less frequently, credit investigators are also expected to examine city directories and public archives in order to confirm residence property ownership or unpaid taxes of applicants.
Credit investigators sometimes are asked to contact former employers and other acquaintances to confirm applicants' references and social behavior. They also have to be able to relay credit report data to subscribers by mail or by telephone And finally, they sometimes have to relay credit report data to subscribers by mail or by telephone.
Like many other jobs, credit investigators must have strong self control in the face of challenging situations and be thorough and dependable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Lewisville include:
- Accounts Receivable Specialist. Locate and notify customers of delinquent accounts by mail, telephone, or personal visit to solicit payment. Duties include receiving payment and posting amount to customer's account; preparing statements to credit department if customer fails to respond; initiating repossession proceedings or service disconnection; keeping records of collection and status of accounts.
- Correspondence Clerk. Compose letters in reply to requests for merchandise, damage claims, credit and other information, delinquent accounts, or unsatisfactory services. Duties may include gathering data to formulate reply and typing correspondence.
- Customer Care Specialist. Interact with customers to provide information in response to inquiries about products and services and to handle and resolve complaints.
- Eligibility and Occupancy Interviewer. Determine eligibility of persons applying to receive assistance from government programs and agency resources, such as welfare, unemployment benefits, and public housing.
- Insurance Claims Processor. Obtain information from insured or designated persons for purpose of settling claim with insurance carrier.
- Insurance Processing Clerk. Process applications for, changes to, and cancellation of insurance policies. Duties include reviewing insurance applications to ensure that all questions have been answered, compiling data on insurance policy changes, changing policy records to conform to insured party's specifications, compiling data on lapsed insurance policies to determine automatic reinstatement according to company policies, canceling insurance policies as requested by agents, and verifying the accuracy of insurance company records.
- Interviewer. Interview persons by telephone, mail, or by other means for the purpose of completing forms, applications, or questionnaires. Ask specific questions, record answers, and assist persons with completing form. May sort, classify, and file forms.
- Municipal Clerk. Draft agendas and bylaws for town or city council; record minutes of council meetings; answer official correspondence; keep fiscal records and accounts; and prepare reports on civic needs.
- Procurement Clerk. Compile information and records to draw up purchase orders for procurement of materials and services.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Credit Investigator Training
University of North Texas - Denton, TX
University of North Texas, Chestnut Ave., Denton, TX 76203-1277. University of North Texas is a large university located in Denton, Texas. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 34,795 students and an admission rate of 64%. University of North Texas has bachelor's degree, master's degree, and doctor's degree programs in Banking and Financial Support Services which graduated one, thirty-one, and two students respectively in 2008.
The University of Texas at Arlington - Arlington, TX
The University of Texas at Arlington, 701 S. Nedderman Dr., Arlington, TX 76013. The University of Texas at Arlington is a large university located in Arlington, Texas. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 25,070 students and an admission rate of 56%. The University of Texas at Arlington has a bachelor's degree and a doctor's degree program in Banking and Financial Support Services which graduated 210 and five students respectively in 2008.
Northwood University - Cedar Hill, TX
Northwood University, 1114 W FM 1382, Cedar Hill, TX 75104-1204. Northwood University is a small university located in Cedar Hill, Texas. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 864 students and an admission rate of 55%. Northwood University has an associate's degree and a bachelor's degree program in Banking and Financial Support Services which graduated five and six students respectively in 2008.
North Lake College - Irving, TX
North Lake College, 5001 N MacArthur Blvd, Irving, TX 75038-3899. North Lake College is a large college located in Irving, Texas. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 10,174 students. North Lake College has a one to two year and an associate's degree program in Banking and Financial Support Services which graduated two and five students respectively in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Lewisville, Texas
Lewisville is situated in Denton County, Texas. It has a population of over 101,624, which has grown by 30.7% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Lewisville, 91, is below the national average. New single-family homes in Lewisville cost $140,300 on average, which is well below the state average. In 2008, one hundred seventy-three new homes were built in Lewisville, down from three hundred thirty-seven the previous year.
The top three industries for women in Lewisville are educational services, health care, and professional, scientific, and technical services. For men, it is construction, professional, scientific, and technical services, and accommodation and food services. The average commute to work is about 27 minutes. More than 32.4% of Lewisville residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 7.1%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Lewisville is 6.7%, which is less than Texas's average of 8.1%.
The percentage of Lewisville residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 34.5%, is less than both the national and state average. Pentecostal Church of God, Cedar Crest Community Church and Prince of Peace Evangelical Lutheran Church are some of the churches located in Lewisville. The most common religious groups are the Southern Baptist Convention, the Catholic Church and the United Methodist Church.
Lewisville is home to Woods Park and East Hill Park. Visitors to Lewisville can choose from Accommodation Now, Best Western Inn & Suites and Baymont Inn & Suites for temporary stays in the area.