Career and Education Opportunities for Insurance Appraisers in Lewisville, Texas
Insurance appraiser career and educational opportunities abound in Lewisville, Texas. There are currently 750 jobs for insurance appraisers in Texas and this is projected to grow 22% to 920 jobs by 2016. This is better than the nation as a whole, where employment opportunities for insurance appraisers are expected to grow by about 0.5%. Insurance appraisers generally appraise automobile or other vehicle damage to determine cost of repair for insurance claim settlement and seek agreement with automotive repair shop on cost of repair.
The income of an insurance appraiser is about $24 per hour or $51,890 yearly on average in Texas. In the U.S. as a whole, their income is about $25 per hour or $53,440 yearly on average. Incomes for insurance appraisers are not quite as good as in the overall category of Adjustment and Analysis in Texas, and not quite as good as the overall Adjustment and Analysis category nationally. People working as insurance appraisers can fill a number of jobs, such as: outside physical damage appraiser, physical damage appraiser, and total loss specialist.
There are eighty-eight schools of higher education in the Lewisville area, including one within twenty-five miles of Lewisville where you can get a degree to start your career as an insurance appraiser. Insurance appraisers usually hold a Bachelor's degree, so you can expect to spend about four years studying to be an insurance appraiser if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Insurance Appraiser
In general, insurance appraisers appraise automobile or other vehicle damage to determine cost of repair for insurance claim settlement and seek agreement with automotive repair shop on cost of repair. They also prepare insurance forms to indicate repair cost or cost estimates and recommendations.
Insurance appraisers estimate parts and labor to repair damage, using standard automotive labor and parts cost manuals and knowledge of automotive repair. They also inspect repair cost estimates with automobile repair shops to secure agreement on cost of repairs. Equally important, insurance appraisers have to examine damaged vehicles to establish extent of structural or interior damage. They are often called upon to evaluate practicality of repairs as opposed to payment of market value of vehicles before accident. They are expected to decide on salvage value on total-loss vehicles. Finally, insurance appraisers arrange to have damages appraised by other appraisers to deal with disagreement with shops on repair cost.
Every day, insurance appraisers are expected to be able to articulate ideas and problems. They need to listen to and understand others in meetings.
Somewhat less frequently, insurance appraisers are also expected to arrange to have damages appraised by other appraisers to deal with disagreement with shops on repair cost.
Insurance appraisers sometimes are asked to ready insurance forms to indicate repair cost estimates and recommendations. And finally, they sometimes have to inspect repair cost estimates with automobile repair shops to secure agreement on cost of repairs.
Like many other jobs, insurance appraisers must be reliable and be able to deal with stress and deal with situations calmly.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Lewisville include:
- Assessor. Appraise real and personal property to determine its fair value. May assess taxes in accordance with prescribed schedules.
- Business Management Analyst. Conduct organizational studies and evaluations, design systems and procedures, conduct work simplifications and measurement studies, and prepare operations and procedures manuals to assist management in operating more efficiently and effectively. Includes program analysts and management consultants.
- Coroner. Direct activities such as autopsies, pathological and toxicological analyses, and inquests relating to the investigation of deaths occurring within a legal jurisdiction to determine cause of death or to fix responsibility for accidental, violent, or unexplained deaths.
- Cost Analyst. Prepare cost estimates for product manufacturing, construction projects, or services to aid management in bidding on or determining price of product or service. May specialize according to particular service performed or type of product manufactured.
- Emergency Management Coordinator. Coordinate disaster response or crisis management activities, provide disaster preparedness training, and prepare emergency plans and procedures for natural, wartime, or technological disasters or hostage situations.
- Income Tax Advisor. Prepare tax returns for individuals or small businesses but do not have the background or responsibilities of an accredited or certified public accountant.
- Insurance Adjuster. Investigate, analyze, and determine the extent of insurance company's liability concerning personal, casualty, or property loss or damages, and attempt to effect settlement with claimants. Correspond with or interview medical specialists, agents, or claimants to compile information. Calculate benefit payments and approve payment of claims within a certain monetary limit.
- Insurance Underwriter. Review individual applications for insurance to evaluate degree of risk involved and determine acceptance of applications.
- License Examiner. Examine, evaluate, and investigate eligibility for, conformity with, or liability under licenses or permits.
- Personal Financial Planner. Advise clients on financial plans utilizing knowledge of tax and investment strategies, securities, and real estate. Duties include assessing clients' assets, liabilities, and financial objectives to establish investment strategies.
- Real Estate Appraiser. Appraise real property to determine its value for purchase, sales, or loan purposes.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Insurance Appraiser Training
University of North Texas - Denton, TX
University of North Texas, Chestnut Ave., Denton, TX 76203-1277. University of North Texas is a large university located in Denton, Texas. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 34,795 students and an admission rate of 64%. University of North Texas has a bachelor's degree program in Insurance which graduated ten students in 2008.
Associate in Insurance Services: The Associate in Insurance Services program is a nationally recognized educational program designed specifically for insurance personnel.
For more information, see the American Institute for CPCU and Insurance Institute of America website.
Collision Repair and Refinish: Damage Analysis and Estimating : The ASE Damage Analysis and Estimating (B6) Test complements the other tests in the Collision Repair Test series that identify and recognize collision repair technicians and refinishers.
For more information, see the National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence website.
Accredited Marine Surveyor : Our Accredited Marine Surveyor® (AMS®) members must have a minimum of 5 years experience and must pass a written examination by our testing committee in order to earn his or her AMS® credential.
For more information, see the Society of Accredited Marine Surveyors website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Lewisville, Texas
Lewisville is situated in Denton County, Texas. It has a population of over 101,624, which has grown by 30.7% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Lewisville, 91, is below the national average. New single-family homes in Lewisville cost $140,300 on average, which is well below the state average. In 2008, one hundred seventy-three new homes were built in Lewisville, down from three hundred thirty-seven the previous year.
The top three industries for women in Lewisville are educational services, health care, and professional, scientific, and technical services. For men, it is construction, professional, scientific, and technical services, and accommodation and food services. The average commute to work is about 27 minutes. More than 32.4% of Lewisville residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 7.1%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Lewisville is 6.7%, which is less than Texas's average of 8.1%.
The percentage of Lewisville residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 34.5%, is less than both the national and state average. Pentecostal Church of God, Cedar Crest Community Church and Prince of Peace Evangelical Lutheran Church are some of the churches located in Lewisville. The most common religious groups are the Southern Baptist Convention, the Catholic Church and the United Methodist Church.
Lewisville is home to Woods Park and East Hill Park. Visitors to Lewisville can choose from Accommodation Now, Best Western Inn & Suites and Baymont Inn & Suites for temporary stays in the area.