Career and Education Opportunities for Florists in Lewisville, Texas
Lewisville, Texas provides a wide variety of opportunities, both career and educational, for florists. There are currently 5,460 jobs for florists in Texas and this is projected to grow 17% to about 6,380 jobs by 2016. This is better than the nation as a whole, where employment opportunities for florists are expected to shrink by about 2.5%. In general, florists design, cut, and arrange live, dried, or artificial flowers and foliage.
Florists earn about $10 hourly or $21,690 yearly on average in Texas and about $11 per hour or $23,230 annually on average nationally. Incomes for florists are not quite as good as in the overall category of Art and Design in Texas, and not quite as good as the overall Art and Design category nationally. People working as florists can fill a number of jobs, such as: corsage maker, florist's decorator, and floral designer.
There is one school within twenty-five miles of Lewisville where you can study to be a florist, among eighty-eight schools of higher education total in the Lewisville area. Given that the most common education level for florists is less than a high school diploma, you can expect to spend only a short time training to become a florist if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Florist
In general, florists design, cut, and arrange live, dried, or artificial flowers and foliage.
Florists talk with clients regarding price and type of arrangements desired and the date, time, and place of delivery. They also inform customers about the care and handling of various flowers and foliage and other items. Equally important, florists have to arrange bouquets, wreaths and other items. They are often called upon to wrap and price completed arrangements. They are expected to decide on flora and foliage for arrangements, working with numerous combinations to synthesize and design new creations. Finally, florists perform office and retail service duties such as keeping financial records, serving customers, answering telephones, selling giftware items and receiving payment.
Every day, florists are expected to be able to articulate ideas and problems. They need to distinguish between colors.
It is important for florists to decorate or supervise the decoration of buildings or other facilities for parties, weddings and other occasions. They are often called upon to conduct classes or demonstrations, or train other staff. Somewhat less frequently, florists are also expected to perform general cleaning duties in the store to insure the shop is clean and tidy.
and grow flowers for use in arrangements or for sale in shop. And finally, they sometimes have to unpack stock as it comes into the shop.
Like many other jobs, florists must be thorough and dependable and believe in cooperation and coordination.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Lewisville include:
- Actor. Play parts in stage, television, or motion picture productions for entertainment, information, or instruction. Interpret serious or comic role by speech, gesture, and body movement to entertain or inform audience. May dance and sing.
- Art Director. Formulate design concepts and presentation approaches, and direct workers engaged in art work, layout design, and copy writing for visual communications media, such as magazines, books, and packaging.
- Craftsman. Create or reproduce hand-made objects for sale and exhibition using a variety of techniques, such as welding, weaving, and needlecraft.
- Display Specialist. Plan and erect commercial displays.
- Fashion Designer. Design clothing and accessories. Create original garments or design garments that follow well established fashion trends. May develop the line of color and kinds of materials.
- Fine Artist. Create original artwork using any of a wide variety of mediums and techniques.
- Graphic Designer. Design or create graphics to meet specific commercial or promotional needs, such as packaging, displays, or logos. May use a variety of mediums to achieve artistic or decorative effects.
- Industrial Designer. Develop and design manufactured products, such as cars, home appliances, and children's toys. Combine artistic talent with research on product use, marketing, and materials to create the most functional and appealing product design.
- Interior Designer. Plan, design, and furnish interiors of residential, commercial, or industrial buildings. Formulate design which is practical, aesthetic, and conducive to intended purposes, such as raising productivity, selling merchandise, or improving life style. May specialize in a particular field, style, or phase of interior design.
- Multi-Media Artist or Animator. Create special effects, animation, or other visual images using film, video, or other electronic tools and media for use in products or creations, such as computer games, movies, and commercials.
- Set and Exhibit Designer. Design special exhibits and movie, television, and theater sets. May study scripts, confer with directors, and conduct research to determine appropriate architectural styles.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Florist Training
Richland College - Dallas, TX
Richland College, 12800 Abrams Rd, Dallas, TX 75243-2199. Richland College is a large college located in Dallas, Texas. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 15,917 students. Richland College has a one to two year and an associate's degree program in Floriculture/Floristry Operations and Management which graduated one and one students respectively in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Lewisville, Texas
Lewisville is situated in Denton County, Texas. It has a population of over 101,624, which has grown by 30.7% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Lewisville, 91, is below the national average. New single-family homes in Lewisville cost $140,300 on average, which is well below the state average. In 2008, one hundred seventy-three new homes were built in Lewisville, down from three hundred thirty-seven the previous year.
The top three industries for women in Lewisville are educational services, health care, and professional, scientific, and technical services. For men, it is construction, professional, scientific, and technical services, and accommodation and food services. The average commute to work is about 27 minutes. More than 32.4% of Lewisville residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 7.1%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Lewisville is 6.7%, which is less than Texas's average of 8.1%.
The percentage of Lewisville residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 34.5%, is less than both the national and state average. Pentecostal Church of God, Cedar Crest Community Church and Prince of Peace Evangelical Lutheran Church are some of the churches located in Lewisville. The most common religious groups are the Southern Baptist Convention, the Catholic Church and the United Methodist Church.
Lewisville is home to Woods Park and East Hill Park. Visitors to Lewisville can choose from Accommodation Now, Best Western Inn & Suites and Baymont Inn & Suites for temporary stays in the area.