Career and Education Opportunities for Art Directors in Lewisville, Texas
If you want to be an art director, the Lewisville, Texas area offers many opportunities both for education and employment. There are currently 4,130 jobs for art directors in Texas and this is projected to grow 13% to 4,680 jobs by 2016. This is better than the nation as a whole, where employment opportunities for art directors are expected to grow by about 11.7%. Art directors generally formulate design concepts and presentation approaches, and direct workers engaged in art work, layout design, and copy writing for visual communications media, such as magazines, books, and packaging.
Art directors earn about $33 hourly or $70,430 per year on average in Texas and about $37 hourly or $76,980 yearly on average nationally. Compared with people working in the overall category of Art and Design, people working as art directors in Texas earn more. They earn more than people working in the overall category of Art and Design nationally. Jobs in this field include: artistic director, product designer, and production manager.
The Lewisville area is home to eighty-eight schools of higher education, including seven within twenty-five miles of Lewisville where you can get a degree as an art director. Given that the most common education level for art directors is an Associate's, or other 2-year degree, you can expect to spend about two years studying to be an art director if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Art Director
In general, art directors formulate design concepts and presentation approaches, and direct workers engaged in art work, layout design, and copy writing for visual communications media, such as magazines, books, and packaging.
Art directors formulate basic layout designs and presentation approaches and specify material details, such as style and size of type. They also talk with creative or production department heads to consider client requirements and presentation concepts and to direct creative efforts. Equally important, art directors have to develop custom illustrations or other graphic elements. They are often called upon to inspect and approve art materials and proofs of printed copy developed by staff members. They are expected to inspect illustrative material to establish if it conforms to standards and specifications. Finally, art directors talk with clients to establish objectives and presentation approaches, styles, and techniques.
Every day, art directors are expected to be able to be creative and generate new ideas. They need to see details at a very fine level of focus.
It is important for art directors to mark up and complete layouts and write typography instructions to ready materials for typesetting or printing. They are often called upon to hire and direct staff members who develop layout concepts into art layouts or who ready layouts for printing. They also oversee own accounts and projects, working within budget and scheduling requirements. They are sometimes expected to attend photo shoots and printing sessions to insure that the products needed are obtained. Somewhat less frequently, art directors are also expected to ready detailed storyboards showing sequence and timing of story development for television production.
Art directors sometimes are asked to negotiate with printers and estimators to establish what services will be performed. and coordinate with creative directors to optimize layout solutions. And finally, they sometimes have to attend photo shoots and printing sessions to insure that the products needed are obtained.
Like many other jobs, art directors must be reliable and be thorough and dependable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Lewisville include:
- Craftsman. Create or reproduce hand-made objects for sale and exhibition using a variety of techniques, such as welding, weaving, and needlecraft.
- Director. Interpret script, conduct rehearsals, and direct activities of cast and technical crew for stage, motion pictures, or radio programs.
- Display Specialist. Plan and erect commercial displays.
- Fashion Designer. Design clothing and accessories. Create original garments or design garments that follow well established fashion trends. May develop the line of color and kinds of materials.
- Fine Artist. Create original artwork using any of a wide variety of mediums and techniques.
- Florist. Design, cut, and arrange live, dried, or artificial flowers and foliage.
- Graphic Designer. Design or create graphics to meet specific commercial or promotional needs, such as packaging, displays, or logos. May use a variety of mediums to achieve artistic or decorative effects.
- Industrial Designer. Develop and design manufactured products, such as cars, home appliances, and children's toys. Combine artistic talent with research on product use, marketing, and materials to create the most functional and appealing product design.
- Interior Designer. Plan, design, and furnish interiors of residential, commercial, or industrial buildings. Formulate design which is practical, aesthetic, and conducive to intended purposes, such as raising productivity, selling merchandise, or improving life style. May specialize in a particular field, style, or phase of interior design.
- Multi-Media Artist or Animator. Create special effects, animation, or other visual images using film, video, or other electronic tools and media for use in products or creations, such as computer games, movies, and commercials.
- Music Composer. Write and transcribe musical scores.
- Music Director. Direct and conduct instrumental or vocal performances by musical groups.
- Public Relations Specialist. Engage in promoting or creating good will for individuals, groups, or organizations by writing or selecting favorable publicity material and releasing it through various communications media. May prepare and arrange displays, and make speeches.
- Set and Exhibit Designer. Design special exhibits and movie, television, and theater sets. May study scripts, confer with directors, and conduct research to determine appropriate architectural styles.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Art Director Training
Remington College-Fort Worth Campus - Fort Worth, TX
Remington College-Fort Worth Campus, 300 E. Loop 820, Fort Worth, TX 76112-1225. Remington College-Fort Worth Campus is a small college located in Fort Worth, Texas. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 2-year programs. It has 503 students and an admission rate of 62%. Remington College-Fort Worth Campus has an associate's degree program in Graphic Design which graduated fifteen students in 2008.
Westwood College-Ft Worth - Fort Worth, TX
Westwood College-Ft Worth, 4232 North Freeway, Fort Worth, TX 76137. Westwood College-Ft Worth is a small college located in Fort Worth, Texas. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 2-year programs. It has 370 students and an admission rate of 58%. Westwood College-Ft Worth has an associate's degree program in Graphic Design which graduated thirty-two students in 2008.
The Art Institute of Dallas - Dallas, TX
The Art Institute of Dallas, 8080 Park Lane #100, Dallas, TX 75231-5993. The Art Institute of Dallas is a small school located in Dallas, Texas. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 1,891 students and an admission rate of 45%. The Art Institute of Dallas has an associate's degree and a bachelor's degree program in Graphic Design which graduated thirty and forty students respectively in 2008.
Westwood College-Dallas - Dallas, TX
Westwood College-Dallas, 8390 LBJ Frwy, Exec Center 1-Ste 100, Dallas, TX 75243. Westwood College-Dallas is a small college located in Dallas, Texas. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 2-year programs. It has 504 students and an admission rate of 48%. Westwood College-Dallas has an associate's degree program in Graphic Design which graduated forty-six students in 2008.
Texas Christian University - Fort Worth, TX
Texas Christian University, 2800 S University Dr, Fort Worth, TX 76129. Texas Christian University is a medium sized university located in Fort Worth, Texas. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 8,696 students and an admission rate of 50%. Texas Christian University has a bachelor's degree program in Graphic Design which graduated fourteen students in 2008.
North Lake College - Irving, TX
North Lake College, 5001 N MacArthur Blvd, Irving, TX 75038-3899. North Lake College is a large college located in Irving, Texas. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 10,174 students. North Lake College has a one to two year and an associate's degree program in Graphic Design which graduated one and five students respectively in 2008.
Wade College - Dallas, TX
Wade College, 1950 Stemmons Freeway, Suite 2026 INFOMART, Dallas, TX 75207. Wade College is a small college located in Dallas, Texas. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 2-year programs and has 241 students. Wade College has an associate's degree program in Graphic Design which graduated four students in 2008.
Certified Graphic Communication Manager: The In-Plant Printing and Mailing Association's (IPMA) Certified Graphic Communications Manager (CGCM) designation was created in 1976 to establish a professional standard of proficiency for the in-house graphic arts and printing management profession.
For more information, see the International Publishing Management Association website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Lewisville, Texas
Lewisville is situated in Denton County, Texas. It has a population of over 101,624, which has grown by 30.7% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Lewisville, 91, is below the national average. New single-family homes in Lewisville cost $140,300 on average, which is well below the state average. In 2008, one hundred seventy-three new homes were built in Lewisville, down from three hundred thirty-seven the previous year.
The top three industries for women in Lewisville are educational services, health care, and professional, scientific, and technical services. For men, it is construction, professional, scientific, and technical services, and accommodation and food services. The average commute to work is about 27 minutes. More than 32.4% of Lewisville residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 7.1%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Lewisville is 6.7%, which is less than Texas's average of 8.1%.
The percentage of Lewisville residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 34.5%, is less than both the national and state average. Pentecostal Church of God, Cedar Crest Community Church and Prince of Peace Evangelical Lutheran Church are some of the churches located in Lewisville. The most common religious groups are the Southern Baptist Convention, the Catholic Church and the United Methodist Church.
Lewisville is home to Woods Park and East Hill Park. Visitors to Lewisville can choose from Accommodation Now, Best Western Inn & Suites and Baymont Inn & Suites for temporary stays in the area.