Career and Education Opportunities for Landscape Architects in Lewisville, Texas
Many educational and employment opportunities exist for landscape architects in the Lewisville, Texas area. There are currently 930 jobs for landscape architects in Texas and this is projected to grow 18% to 1,100 jobs by 2016. This is not quite as good as the nation as a whole, where employment opportunities for landscape architects are expected to grow by about 19.7%. In general, landscape architects plan and design land areas for such projects as parks and other recreational facilities, airports, and commercial, industrial, and residential sites.
A person working as a landscape architect can expect to earn about $28 per hour or $59,840 per year on average in Texas and about $28 hourly or $58,960 per year on average in the U.S. as a whole. Compared with people working in the overall category of Architecture, people working as landscape architects in Texas earn less. They earn less than people working in the overall category of Architecture nationally. Jobs in this field include: golf course designer, exterior designer, and indoor landscape architect.
The Lewisville area is home to eighty-eight schools of higher education, including one within twenty-five miles of Lewisville where you can get a degree as a landscape architect. The most common level of education for landscape architects is a Bachelor's degree. You can expect to spend about four years studying to be a landscape architect if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Landscape Architect
In general, landscape architects plan and design land areas for such projects as parks and other recreational facilities, airports, and commercial, industrial, and residential sites.
Landscape architects talk with clients and architects on overall programs. They also ready site plans and cost estimates for land development, coordinating arrangement of existing and proposed land features and structures. Equally important, landscape architects have to seek new work opportunities through marketing, writing proposals or giving presentations. They are often called upon to inspect landscape work to insure adherence to specifications, approve quality of materials and work, and advise client and construction personnel. They are expected to ready graphic representations and drawings of proposed plans and designs. Finally, landscape architects compile and analyze data on conditions such as location and location of structures for environmental reports and landscaping plans.
Every day, landscape architects are expected to be able to listen to and understand others in meetings. They need to articulate ideas and problems. It is also important that they read and understand documents and reports.
And finally, they sometimes have to talk with clients and architects on overall programs.
Like many other jobs, landscape architects must have exceptional integrity and be thorough and dependable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Lewisville include:
- Architect. Plan and design structures, such as private residences, office buildings, and other structural property.
- Civil Engineer. Perform engineering duties in planning, designing, and overseeing construction and maintenance of building structures, and facilities, such as roads, railroads, airports, bridges, harbors, channels, dams, irrigation projects, pipelines, power plants, water and sewage systems, and waste disposal units. Includes architectural, structural, and geo-technical engineers.
- Civil Engineering Technician. Apply theory and principles of civil engineering in planning, designing, and overseeing construction and maintenance of structures and facilities under the direction of engineering staff or physical scientists.
- Health, Safety, and Environment Manager. Plan, implement, and coordinate safety programs, requiring application of engineering principles and technology, to prevent or correct unsafe environmental working conditions.
- Materials Engineer. Evaluate materials and develop machinery and processes to manufacture materials for use in products that must meet specialized design and performance specifications. Develop new uses for known materials. Includes those working with composite materials or specializing in one type of material, such as graphite, metal and metal alloys, ceramics and glass, plastics and polymers, and naturally occurring materials.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Landscape Architect Training
The University of Texas at Arlington - Arlington, TX
The University of Texas at Arlington, 701 S. Nedderman Dr., Arlington, TX 76013. The University of Texas at Arlington is a large university located in Arlington, Texas. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 25,070 students and an admission rate of 56%. The University of Texas at Arlington has a master's degree program in Landscape Architecture which graduated ten students in 2008.
Licensing agency: Texas Board of Architectural Examiners
Address: 333 Guadalupe, Suite 2-350, Austin, TX 78701-3942
Phone: (512) 305-9000
Website: Texas Board of Architectural Examiners
LOCATION INFORMATION: Lewisville, Texas
Lewisville is situated in Denton County, Texas. It has a population of over 101,624, which has grown by 30.7% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Lewisville, 91, is below the national average. New single-family homes in Lewisville cost $140,300 on average, which is well below the state average. In 2008, one hundred seventy-three new homes were built in Lewisville, down from three hundred thirty-seven the previous year.
The top three industries for women in Lewisville are educational services, health care, and professional, scientific, and technical services. For men, it is construction, professional, scientific, and technical services, and accommodation and food services. The average commute to work is about 27 minutes. More than 32.4% of Lewisville residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 7.1%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Lewisville is 6.7%, which is less than Texas's average of 8.1%.
The percentage of Lewisville residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 34.5%, is less than both the national and state average. Pentecostal Church of God, Cedar Crest Community Church and Prince of Peace Evangelical Lutheran Church are some of the churches located in Lewisville. The most common religious groups are the Southern Baptist Convention, the Catholic Church and the United Methodist Church.
Lewisville is home to Woods Park and East Hill Park. Visitors to Lewisville can choose from Accommodation Now, Best Western Inn & Suites and Baymont Inn & Suites for temporary stays in the area.