Career and Education Opportunities for English Professors in Laredo, Texas
Many educational and employment opportunities exist for english professors in the Laredo, Texas area. In general, english professors teach courses in English language and literature, including linguistics and comparative literature.
The average wage in the general category of Postsecondary Education jobs is $21 per hour or $63,640 per year in Texas, and an average of $23 per hour or $64,226 per year nationwide. English professors earn less than people working in the category of Postsecondary Education generally in Texas and less than people in the Postsecondary Education category nationally. Jobs in this field include: journalism professor, humanities professor, and general education professor.
The Laredo area is home to five schools of higher education, including one within twenty-five miles of Laredo where you can get a degree as an english professor. Given that the most common education level for english professors is a Master's degree, you can expect to spend about six years training to become an english professor if you already have a high school diploma, or just 2 years starting with a Bachelor's degree.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: English Professor
In general, english professors teach courses in English language and literature, including linguistics and comparative literature.
English professors initiate and moderate classroom discussions. They also evaluate and grade students' class work and papers. Equally important, english professors have to ready course materials such as syllabi and handouts. They are often called upon to formulate and revise curricula, course content and methods of instruction. They are expected to maintain student attendance records and other required records. Finally, english professors ready and deliver lectures to undergraduate or graduate students on topics such as poetry and translation and adaptation.
Every day, english professors are expected to be able to speak clearly. They need to write clearly and communicate well. It is also important that they listen to and understand others in meetings.
It is important for english professors to compile bibliographies of specialized materials for outside reading assignments. They are often called upon to decide on and obtain materials and supplies such as textbooks. They also participate in student recruitment and placement efforts. They are sometimes expected to conduct research in a particular field of knowledge and publish findings in professional journals or electronic media. Somewhat less frequently, english professors are also expected to serve on academic or administrative committees that deal with institutional policies and academic issues.
English professors sometimes are asked to maintain regularly scheduled office hours to advise and assist students. They also have to be able to perform administrative duties such as serving as department head and participate in campus and community events. And finally, they sometimes have to furnish assistance to students in college writing centers.
Like many other jobs, english professors must have exceptional integrity and be reliable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Laredo include:
- Communication Professor. Teach courses in communications, such as organizational communications, public relations, radio/television broadcasting, and journalism.
- Computer Science Professor. Teach courses in computer science. May specialize in a field of computer science.
- Elementary School Teacher. Teach pupils in public or private schools at the elementary level basic academic, social, and other formative skills.
- Instructional Systems Specialist. Develop instructional material, coordinate educational content, and incorporate current technology in specialized fields that provide guidelines to educators and instructors for developing curricula and conducting courses.
- Kindergarten Teacher. Teach elemental natural and social science, personal hygiene, and literature to children from 4 to 6 years old. Promote physical, mental, and social development. May be required to hold State certification.
- Math Professor. Teach courses pertaining to mathematical concepts, statistics, and actuarial science and to the application of original and standardized mathematical techniques in solving specific problems and situations.
- Nursing Professor. Demonstrate and teach patient care in classroom and clinical units to nursing students. Includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of both teaching and research.
- Physical Education Professor. Teach courses pertaining to recreation, leisure, and fitness studies, including exercise physiology and facilities management.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: English Professor Training
Texas A & M International University - Laredo, TX
Texas A & M International University, 5201 University Blvd, Laredo, TX 78041-1900. Texas A & M International University is a medium sized university located in Laredo, Texas. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 5,859 students and an admission rate of 63%. Texas A & M International University has a bachelor's degree and a master's degree program in English Language and Literature which graduated fourteen and one students respectively in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Laredo, Texas
Laredo is situated in Webb County, Texas. It has a population of over 221,659, which has grown by 25.5% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Laredo, 81, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in Laredo cost $137,000 on average, which is well below the state average. In 2008, six hundred sixty-eight new homes were constructed in Laredo, down from 1,257 the previous year.
The three big industries for women in Laredo are educational services, health care, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is construction, other transportation, and support activities, and couriers, and public administration. The average commute to work is about 21 minutes. More than 14.7% of Laredo residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 5.6%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Laredo is 8.1%, which is the same as Texas's average of 8.1%.
The percentage of Laredo residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 73.6%, is more than both the national and state average. El Buen Pastor Assembly of God Church, El Mesias United Methodist Church and Heights Baptist Church are among the churches located in Laredo. The largest religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Assemblies of God and the Southern Baptist Convention.
Laredo is home to the Webb County Courthouse and the Dolores Ranch as well as Shirley Field and Laredo Entertainment Center. Visitors to Laredo can choose from Blue Caribbean Ventures, Motel 9 and Bender Hotel for temporary stays in the area.